Pinned Solved

My OVO account has suddenly changed, why?

• 11 October 2018
  • 8 replies

Without any consultation I am informed by e-mail that my Ovo account will closed and my direct debit stopped and then a new DD would be put in place and start with a new account.
The new site is terrible and provides little information about gas and electric usage and costs also the phone app no longer works.
I read that customers have asked for this how many? In coming days I will ask the numbers who wanted a change in a 'Subject access request'.
I found the old OVo very good and told friends and relatives and cold callers who wanted me to change suppler how good Ovo was well not anymore.
From the content of the change e-mail I thought it was spam and did not take any action.but today I see the changes made when I tried to log on a had to change my e-mail also the smart phone app did not work.
Ovo's getting more like British gas.
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 11 October 2018, 20:26

Hi @getting more like B Gas,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post!

The new OVO smart meter online experience is already generating some discussion over here on the forum.

On the 27th September I was sent an email telling me that I would be migrated to the new system. The email stated that I had until the 1st October 2018 to let OVO know if I didn't want this to happen. I didn't opt out, as I am a sucker for trying new stuff! I was migrated on the 10th October.

The original email didn't mention anything about cancelling and re-creating my DD, but the one on the 10th did. I was a bit surprised by this as it seemed a funny thing to do, but it shouldn't have any effect on me.

Once I logged in I discovered that the website is still work in progress and they are adding features over the coming months. See this link here for further info (you will need to be logged in to access it):
https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/feedback

That being said if you would prefer to go back to the old system, I know of at least one other user that has been migrated back, so I don't see why you can't be either:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/need-extra-help-and-support-94/can-i-be-taken-off-your-new-ovo-smart-meter-online-experience-4941

In regards to the smartphone app, I had a problem when I migrated. It was stuck on an error message and would not let me click retry or log out. In the end I had to check the App Store and upgrade to the latest version (v9). That then logged me out and let me sign in with my email address and newly created password.

OVO staff are monitoring these forums and seem to be listening to feedback, I have had a couple of responses already from @Cassie_OVO
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @getting more like B Gas,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post!

The new OVO smart meter online experience is already generating some discussion over here on the forum.

On the 27th September I was sent an email telling me that I would be migrated to the new system. The email stated that I had until the 1st October 2018 to let OVO know if I didn't want this to happen. I didn't opt out, as I am a sucker for trying new stuff! I was migrated on the 10th October.

The original email didn't mention anything about cancelling and re-creating my DD, but the one on the 10th did. I was a bit surprised by this as it seemed a funny thing to do, but it shouldn't have any effect on me.

Once I logged in I discovered that the website is still work in progress and they are adding features over the coming months. See this link here for further info (you will need to be logged in to access it):
https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/feedback

That being said if you would prefer to go back to the old system, I know of at least one other user that has been migrated back, so I don't see why you can't be either:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/need-extra-help-and-support-94/can-i-be-taken-off-your-new-ovo-smart-meter-online-experience-4941

In regards to the smartphone app, I had a problem when I migrated. It was stuck on an error message and would not let me click retry or log out. In the end I had to check the App Store and upgrade to the latest version (v9). That then logged me out and let me sign in with my email address and newly created password.

OVO staff are monitoring these forums and seem to be listening to feedback, I have had a couple of responses already from @Cassie_OVO
Userlevel 1
WHAT have Ovo done to the web page where you can monitor your energy usage??

I was changed to the 'new and improved' My Ovo last week, it's a disaster, it shows you less than the old web page did !! I would make a guess that the developers haven't read the project outlines, or they have and haven't understood them !!

The old page was much easier on the eye, it was easier to navigate, it was MUCH more intuitive, and it gave you MORE INFORMATION.

One of the most important things for me that has disappeared was the how much your monthly payment was going to be going forward, as any changes you made to your usage were reflected in this, so you could effectively alter your habits and reduce your monthly payments, that has now GONE !!

Surely Ovo wouldn't 'launch' something that wasn't ready for use...... Would they ???

Why didn't you ask customers to trial the new webpage before forcing it on everyone, I would have been more than happy to provide constructive criticism, and help make it user friendy, AND useful !
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It would be fab if you could share some screenshots with the community to show what parts of the update you're not happy with @navmanl200. We can then feed this back to the Tech guys too.

Lucy
Totally agree, all features have been removed, it tells me my bill last month was £0 (I wish!) And the graph now being vertical makes no sense, and it's pointless as you can't change it to week or month view, or overlay a previous month for comparison! Please just revert to the old website/app, it was so much better and have more information
What a mess and disappointment the new web page is. Gone is most of the information. Gone is the ability to easily see and manage usage and account.

I curbed my frustration when first forced to use it because of the assurance that all previous information would be added soon, and even more data would be available than on the old site. Weeks in and there have been no updates, no feedback on when we can expect it, and no way to get back to the old site.

Surely OVO would not expect most people to be happy about this. Would it not have been more sensible to force customers on a new site once it was fully functioning? Or better still, heeded that old advice - If it is not broken, don't fix it.
Userlevel 2
Hi @navmanl200 and @Revorgp

I've moved your questions over here as @Mw2870 answer should help! 🙂

@Sphinx this subforum is all about this new online experience. See what other people think, have a look at comments from the developers and also this topic on opting out
Userlevel 1
For those still frustrated with Ovo's 'new improved' online information system.........

I have migrated back to the old system, which in my honest opinion is much better than the new one. What Ovo should have done is ask a 'beta' team to try out the new software before FORCING it on everyone. it's at best a work in progress and and worst a disaster !!

• I have offered to Beta test the new software for them, but I was told this in not possible, not sure why? Every other company that brings in new software to market, the first thing the do is Beta test it with a cross section of customers and users before releasing it.
So @Cassie_OVO, Beth_OVO why can't you offer beta testing to get the new software right before forcing unwanted changes on people??
Hi @navmanl200

Thanks for your post. I’m sorry that you wanted to migrate back to the old online account.

In terms of why we’re doing this, the differences go deeper than a redesign. We’ve built an entirely new backend system and this means we can’t offer the option of a Beta version. We believe this new system is more capable at spotting and preventing problems, and that a larger number of customers using it helps us learn what to improve.

In addition, we run usability testing with smaller groups of users around specific features and tasks. We read all the feedback from customers and we’re working hard to make improvements.

Paul