Solved

How do I choose how often my Meter readings are transferred to OVO?

• 27 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Do I choose how often my meter readings are transferred to ovo when I have my smart meter fitted 30.09.2019.Derek Higgs.
icon

Best answer by Julian_OVO 2 October 2019, 12:29

Hi @Derek Higgs

We have information about smart meters and the data they collect available at https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/a-guide-to-smart-meter-data.html

It is most likely* that your smart meter is sending us a reading every day, this is what we recommend as it means we can send you the most accurate statement possible and we can also offer insights into your usage on your online account. There is an option to supply us with a half-hourly breakdown of your daily usage (we would receive this once a day) for you to get even better insight into how you're using your energy.

*You can tell for sure by looking at the usage pages of your online account. If you can only see a monthly view it means your meter is sending us one read a month, if you can see daily view then it's a daily reading and if you can see a half-hourly breakdown then we're receiving that breakdown too.

Does that answer your question? Do you have any further follow-up questions?

Thanks,
Julian.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Just having smart meter fitted how often can your readings be logged by ovo and which is the best period of time. Derek Higgs.
Userlevel 2
Hi @Derek Higgs

We have information about smart meters and the data they collect available at https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/a-guide-to-smart-meter-data.html

It is most likely* that your smart meter is sending us a reading every day, this is what we recommend as it means we can send you the most accurate statement possible and we can also offer insights into your usage on your online account. There is an option to supply us with a half-hourly breakdown of your daily usage (we would receive this once a day) for you to get even better insight into how you're using your energy.

*You can tell for sure by looking at the usage pages of your online account. If you can only see a monthly view it means your meter is sending us one read a month, if you can see daily view then it's a daily reading and if you can see a half-hourly breakdown then we're receiving that breakdown too.

Does that answer your question? Do you have any further follow-up questions?

Thanks,
Julian.
Userlevel 2
Thank you,can I change the time span if I wanted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Derek Higgs - no you can't decide how often data is collected from your SMETS2 meter. The system operates by OVO sending a read-request to your meter Communications Hub via DCC. See my diagram over here.

At present, OVO have decided to collect the previous-day's data shortly after midnight.

Sometime in the future this will change, mainly due to the introduction of a half-hourly variable tariff. At the time of writing, only one UK Energy Supplier (Octopus) offer such a tariff.
Userlevel 2
Thank you kindly,sorted.D Higgs.
Userlevel 2
Thank you kindly,sorted.D Higgs.

Hi @Derek Higgs

Further to @Transparent's response I just wanted to confirm that we can support changes to the meter read frequency between daily and monthly preferences. At the moment you'll need to phone up or email to change it, contact details are available at the bottom of this page https://www.ovoenergy.com/help

Thanks,
Julian.