Solved

How do I update my gas meter serial number on the national database?

• 9 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have just moved to a house where OVO provides the energy to and I have a problem.

I need to ask OVO to update the records in national gas meter database.

My gas meter serial number (MSN) is not added to the database.

Only the current gas provider can update it.

How can I have it sorted out and how long would it take?

Thank you
Slav
icon

Best answer by Transparent 9 June 2019, 22:12

Hi @Slav_K This should be quite straightforward, but OVO and Xoserve need enough information to know that this is a genuine request and not someone committing Identity Fraud!

I suggest that you email the details to hello@ovoenergy.com

Provide them with:
a. Your full name and address
b. The date you moved in
c. The name of the previous occupant
and preferably the address they've moved to
d. The gas meter number
and the meter reading for the day you moved in
e. The electricity meter number (which can be used to verify the address)

They will almost certainly ask you for further details.

The account will need to be in your name. As it comes under the Consumer Rights Act, there is a mandatory 14-day "cooling off period" when neither OVO nor Xoserve will do anything. This quite normal.

OVO will also check that there is no outstanding debt on the previous occupier's account. For obvious reasons, neither they nor Xoserve are permitted to tell you anything about this process or how they arrive at the Final Bill for the previous occupant.

If you need any further clarification, feel free to post again here.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Slav_K This should be quite straightforward, but OVO and Xoserve need enough information to know that this is a genuine request and not someone committing Identity Fraud!

I suggest that you email the details to hello@ovoenergy.com

Provide them with:
a. Your full name and address
b. The date you moved in
c. The name of the previous occupant
and preferably the address they've moved to
d. The gas meter number
and the meter reading for the day you moved in
e. The electricity meter number (which can be used to verify the address)

They will almost certainly ask you for further details.

The account will need to be in your name. As it comes under the Consumer Rights Act, there is a mandatory 14-day "cooling off period" when neither OVO nor Xoserve will do anything. This quite normal.

OVO will also check that there is no outstanding debt on the previous occupier's account. For obvious reasons, neither they nor Xoserve are permitted to tell you anything about this process or how they arrive at the Final Bill for the previous occupant.

If you need any further clarification, feel free to post again here.
Thank you very much for such comprehensive answer.

I will follow your instructions.

Regards
Slav
The name of our street, along with the postcode, was changed many years ago by the council. While our billing address on OVO statements is correct, the national meter database still shows the old address, which is at least 20 years out of date. I have asked OVO to update the database but had no reply. Perhaps they think it's fraud of some kind. The problem is that we are now unable to switch provider because the addresses do not match up.

I'm not sure how we managed to switch to OVO, but that was allowed for some reason. We also had smart meters installed last year and nobody raised this issue with us at that time. The new meters were obviously just installed with the old address.

What steps can I take to get the national database updated with the correct details?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum, @gillt, I've moved your post here, check out @Transparent's best answer.

The change of address on the national database can take up to 4 weeks, if you've already asked the team to action this it may still be in the process of completing.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks!