How can OVO help in the event of a bereavement?

• 23 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
A relative passing away can be an extremely difficult time. If you need to take over someone’s OVO account, we’re here to help and we want to make this process as swift and hassle-free as possible.

You’ll need to get in touch with us by phone to make the necessary arrangements - the team are available on 0330 303 5063 between 8am and 6pm on weekdays.

We’ll need to take a few details from you, but we’ll do this as efficiently as possible and guide you through the next steps.

We may need to ask for a copy of the Grant of Representation (or Letter of Administration) if you need a refund sent to someone else’s bank account. Once you have this, it can be sent to probate@ovoenergy.com.

You can find more useful information on the process here:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/bereavement

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/death-and-wills/dealing-with-the-financial-affairs-of-someone-who-has-died/

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance

6 replies

How do you report the death of a customer and sort out what to do next. The bank have already cancelled the direct debit but I want the account to carry on until the house is sold

Userlevel 5

Hey @Jagobaby,

I’ve moved your post over here, take a look at this topic for more help.

I hope everything is okay!

Hi,

My Mum was with OVO for her gas and electricity supply. Unfortunately she passed away in February. There has been some delay notifying the relevant people as we did not have a cause of death, meaning post mortem investigations needed to be carried out before we could get a death certificate. We now have an interim death cert enabling us to begin to sort things out. 

My question to you is this; my mum’s house is now stood empty while we sort things out. We do however need the supply of gas and electricity to the house to continue until the time comes that it is sold. What is the best way to go about this? 

Many thanks

Julie

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello @Julie72 

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

The best thing to do would be to speak with OVO on the phone and explain the situation. I'm sure they would understand, especially with times like this.

Best contact number would be: 0330 303 5063

Kindest regards

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Julie72 I was faced with a similar situation about 5 years ago. I realised that the standing charge for maintaining the gas and electricity supplies was far greater than the small amount of energy which would actually be consumed.

My solution was to shop around for a tariff which had no standing charges. The cost per kWh was very high, but the overall result still saved me over 80% of what would’ve been charged if I’d stayed with the original Supplier and Tariff.

I did consider having the gas temporarily removed from the property because some substantial refurbishment was required. However, I later learned that this would’ve been an ineffective saving due to the reconnection charge and the need for a gas-safe engineer to purge the pipes.

Thank you for your responses. I will contact OVO today and find out what kind of tariff she is on.

Kind Regards,

Julie