Solved

Bill after a bereavement - can anyone help?

• 20 September 2018
  • 4 replies

hi all
my dad has recently died and we are trying sort his affairs out.
we have wrote to his electricity/gas supplier to inform them he has died.and sent them a meter reading.
my dad was on a prepaid meter for both gas and electric, my dad has never had any debt on these accounts and does not owe anything, we have been presented with a bill for £800
can anyone tell me how this is possible?
thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 21 September 2018, 17:13

Hi @johneee,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss - our deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

This sounds like a bit of a tricky one. If your father had prepayment meters its highly unlikely he would get a bill. Just to check, was OVO the supplier (or it might be our partener company Boost, who supply prepayment properties - https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/)?

There's a chance there's an issue with the account. My best advice would be to contact the team, who can add you as an administrator on his account, and discuss it with you. You can reach them on 0330 303 5063 between 8am and 6pm on weekdays.

Do let us know if you've got any more questions.

Nancy
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @johneee,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss - our deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

This sounds like a bit of a tricky one. If your father had prepayment meters its highly unlikely he would get a bill. Just to check, was OVO the supplier (or it might be our partener company Boost, who supply prepayment properties - https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/)?

There's a chance there's an issue with the account. My best advice would be to contact the team, who can add you as an administrator on his account, and discuss it with you. You can reach them on 0330 303 5063 between 8am and 6pm on weekdays.

Do let us know if you've got any more questions.

Nancy
My Mother died in April and we gave OVO meter readings and informed them of the situation.
As she lived alone there would be absolute minimum energy usage and we thought that we had paid her account up to date and agreed to settle her final bill when the house is sold.
We have had no correspondence until today when we have received a letter from OVO` saying that the have passed the matter to an attack dog debt recovery company chasing £429. ( on OVO`s estimated readings which are far above the actual)
I have now updated the meter readings and await a revised statement.
Absolutely appalled with your customer service
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I assume from your Forum name that you are appointed an Executor of your Mother's will, is that correct @executor ?

As such you have the full authority to act as if you were your Mother. This includes the right to check her energy bills going back over several years.

I don't know how long your mother was with OVO, nor when she last had actual readings taken. However, you should ensure that you have access to at least the last 2 years of those bills in order to confirm that they are not building one estimate on top of another.

When you refer to "her final bill", please note that a Final Bill is a precise term used by the Energy Supplier when an account is closed. It will be marked as such on the front page. Please check that you really do have that Final Bill, and not one which is simply dated after her death.

I don't know what proportion of her annual usage is the £429 which OVO states is outstanding. Without having knowledge of such detail it's difficult to advise any further.

You might also like to read what I wrote here to another Forum User earlier today who also received a letter regarding the threat of Debt Collectors.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I'm sorry to hear about your late mother @executor and your experience so far.

This is something you'll need to reach out to our team with, they'll be able to help.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063.

I hope this helps.