Solved

Why is there 'You gave' meter readings on my bill before the smart meter readings?

Userlevel 1
I've noticed on my meter history that I get a "you gave" meter reading a few days before the "smart read" reading each month. It only happens on electric - not gas. What generates these superfluous entries? It's certainly not me submitting the readings. Is there a ghost in my meter cupboard?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 22 February 2018, 17:50

A ghost?! We hope not Ernie-G!

It sounds like when we’re communicating with your meters, we might be updating your account with readings twice. Do these readings differ at all or are they always the same reading?

Lucy

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
A ghost?! We hope not Ernie-G!

It sounds like when we’re communicating with your meters, we might be updating your account with readings twice. Do these readings differ at all or are they always the same reading?

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Like the ghosts Lucy :D

The readings differ by about what you'd expect for the 2 to 3 days difference in the reading dates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Spoooky!

@Emma_G @Mw2870 buzzhunter - have you seen this on your My OVO page?

Tim
Userlevel 1
Here's what it looks like...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This looks like My OVO being a silly billy. The readings are in line and most likely all from your smart meter, but I think it's worth checking. Please reach out to us via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

^Tim
Userlevel 1
No extra reading this month so I guess I'll wait another month and, if there's still no extraneous reading, I'll assume somebody fixed it.
Userlevel 1
OK - the phantom meter reader is at work again! It would appear that, whenever there is a 31st day in the month, then I get an extra electricity meter reading submitted on that day in addition to the usual electric and gas readings which occur a couple of days later. Should I report this anomaly via email as you suggested before, Tim?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@Ernie-G It won't cause a problem with your billing but if you'd like it looked into, please feel free to get in touch with the team as Tim suggested. :)

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Ernie-G,

This sounds like a software bug, doesn't it?

As it happens, a senior member of OVO's Programming Team is running threads on this Forum whenever there's a new release of the OVO App. You can see Jon's latest posting here

Although your issue isn't related to the App itself, you could send a Private Message to @Jon_OVO, and he'd bounce it straight to the relevant programmer.
Userlevel 2
@Ernie-G @Transparent We'd love to look into this in more detail. We'll need to discuss your account in private to avoid revealing personal information, which @Tim_OVO and @Lucy_OVO can help you with. Just follow Tim's suggestion above :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
OK @Ernie-G; so you now have the attention of the Programming Team based in London! :)

Note @Jon_OVO's request to put the details in a Private Message, not here on the open Forum! Ask me if you don't know to do this.

Programmers need to replicate the issue, so in addition to your personal details like Account Number, try to give basic background info, even if you've already mentioned it here, such as
  • How long you've had Smart Meters
  • You have both fuels via OVO
  • Extra readings only happen on electricity, not gas
  • Meter number (if you know it)

This is an excellent example of how The Forum can help OVO build resilient software faster.
Userlevel 1
Oh wow! I'm in the spotlight!
OK. I'll download the app, write up the details and PM to Jon_OVO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
You are indeed in the spotlight...

But you don't need to download the App in order to send the details of the suspected bug to @Jon_OVO. I'm sure he'd like you to do so because he wants feedback on that too.

However, the problem you've highlighted is happening whether or not you use the OVO App. So that's what you need to be telling the Software Team.
Userlevel 1
PM sent to Jon_OVO
Userlevel 2
@Ernie-G I've had a message from a member of the team who look after this part of your experience this morning. They're aware of the issue and you'll get an update soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks @Jon_OVO - I've been sent the update on this for you @Ernie-G

It's something we're aware of: the route cause is when meter readings are submitted 'in bulk' internally, after a bug or issue was corrected and a billing run completed. This will make some readings appear as 'you gave', when actually the customer didn't give the reading. It's on our list to fix though!

Hope this helps,
Tim

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close