Solved

Why is there 'You gave' meter readings on my bill before the smart meter readings?

• 21 February 2018
  • 26 replies

I've noticed on my meter history that I get a "you gave" meter reading a few days before the "smart read" reading each month. It only happens on electric - not gas. What generates these superfluous entries? It's certainly not me submitting the readings. Is there a ghost in my meter cupboard?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 22 February 2018, 17:50

A ghost?! We hope not Ernie-G!

It sounds like when we’re communicating with your meters, we might be updating your account with readings twice. Do these readings differ at all or are they always the same reading?

Lucy
View original

26 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
A ghost?! We hope not Ernie-G!

It sounds like when we’re communicating with your meters, we might be updating your account with readings twice. Do these readings differ at all or are they always the same reading?

Lucy
Like the ghosts Lucy :D

The readings differ by about what you'd expect for the 2 to 3 days difference in the reading dates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Spoooky!

@Emma_G @Mw2870 buzzhunter - have you seen this on your My OVO page?

Tim
Here's what it looks like...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This looks like My OVO being a silly billy. The readings are in line and most likely all from your smart meter, but I think it's worth checking. Please reach out to us via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

^Tim
No extra reading this month so I guess I'll wait another month and, if there's still no extraneous reading, I'll assume somebody fixed it.
OK - the phantom meter reader is at work again! It would appear that, whenever there is a 31st day in the month, then I get an extra electricity meter reading submitted on that day in addition to the usual electric and gas readings which occur a couple of days later. Should I report this anomaly via email as you suggested before, Tim?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Ernie-G It won't cause a problem with your billing but if you'd like it looked into, please feel free to get in touch with the team as Tim suggested. :)

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Ernie-G,

This sounds like a software bug, doesn't it?

As it happens, a senior member of OVO's Programming Team is running threads on this Forum whenever there's a new release of the OVO App. You can see Jon's latest posting here

Although your issue isn't related to the App itself, you could send a Private Message to @Jon_OVO, and he'd bounce it straight to the relevant programmer.
Userlevel 1
@Ernie-G @Transparent We'd love to look into this in more detail. We'll need to discuss your account in private to avoid revealing personal information, which @Tim_OVO and @Lucy_OVO can help you with. Just follow Tim's suggestion above 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK @Ernie-G; so you now have the attention of the Programming Team based in London! :)

Note @Jon_OVO's request to put the details in a Private Message, not here on the open Forum! Ask me if you don't know to do this.

Programmers need to replicate the issue, so in addition to your personal details like Account Number, try to give basic background info, even if you've already mentioned it here, such as
  • How long you've had Smart Meters
  • You have both fuels via OVO
  • Extra readings only happen on electricity, not gas
  • Meter number (if you know it)

This is an excellent example of how The Forum can help OVO build resilient software faster.
Oh wow! I'm in the spotlight!
OK. I'll download the app, write up the details and PM to Jon_OVO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
You are indeed in the spotlight...

But you don't need to download the App in order to send the details of the suspected bug to @Jon_OVO. I'm sure he'd like you to do so because he wants feedback on that too.

However, the problem you've highlighted is happening whether or not you use the OVO App. So that's what you need to be telling the Software Team.
PM sent to Jon_OVO
Userlevel 1
@Ernie-G I've had a message from a member of the team who look after this part of your experience this morning. They're aware of the issue and you'll get an update soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks @Jon_OVO - I've been sent the update on this for you @Ernie-G

It's something we're aware of: the route cause is when meter readings are submitted 'in bulk' internally, after a bug or issue was corrected and a billing run completed. This will make some readings appear as 'you gave', when actually the customer didn't give the reading. It's on our list to fix though!

Hope this helps,
Tim
As I have a smart meter, I haven't been giving OVO any meter readings at all. When I look at Meter Readings on OVO's website, this is what's listed for Gas:

21 Oct 2018 Smart read 01325

30 Sep 2018 You gave 01294

21 Sep 2018 Smart read 01275

31 Aug 2018 You gave 01259

21 Aug 2018 Smart read 01253

etc. etc.

and it's similar for Electricity only the 'You gave' value appears only at three-monthly intervals.

Where are these 'You gave' figures coming from and why do they appear?
I have a similar anomaly on my meter readings. I also get the difference between Electricity and Gas readings. I'm ignoring it at the moment as it makes no difference to my payments. When I reported it earlier this year the Programming Team said that it was on their list of things to fix.
@Transparent @Tim_OVO
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
It's interesting that @PinkSpecs' readings marked "You gave" are on the last day of each calendar month.

I'm surmising that 21st of the month is the anniversary of when the contract actually started. Or was it perhaps the 21st which was the first full month after the Smart Meter readings become "live" for OVO to utilise in bill generation?

I think @Ernie-G is right to just ignore it for the moment. Since you both have Smart Meters, you're not actually going to be incorrectly charged. OVO's programmers will eventually sort out what the "You gave" line is meant to be stating for a customer with a Smart Meter.
Userlevel 1
Just to report that I am seeing something quite similar as reported by the OP. I had a Smart Meter fitted on 24 May, and since then see a few spurious 'You gave' readings. I reported to Ovo and was told:

In regards to the readings in June and July showing as readings that you gave, it looks like this was due to our billing system saving the readings under the wrong category, but it is nothing to worry about at all. The readings on your statement are still accurate, and it is more of a slight admin error on our end, so I do apologise for that.

Here is what I see:

@Transparent For me the 'Smart read' readings always appear for the same day of the month (12th) as the day of the month I began service with Ovo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks @jim3245; that makes sense to me.

I'm not a Smart Meter, so my readings and statements are always aligned to the date when my OVO Contract started (13th of the month).

I'm unsure why customers with Smart Meters are being aligned to the calendar month-end.

In time to come, we'll move across to Demand Side Response and buy energy in half-hour packets, so perhaps OVO are building their new system to better facilitate that change.
I have a smart meter but according to my Meter Reading History I gave a meter reading recently. I definitely didn't. I'm not even sure I can see the readings now. Has anyone else had this?

Userlevel 2
Hi @NMWilson!

I've slightly changed up your question so, other users having the same issue, can easily find this topic and its answer.

Firstly, I just wanted to give you some peace of mind that this is normal and it's, obviously, not because you, or anybody else has given a reading at all.

The 'You gave' reads appear due to the fact we still have to send meter readings off to the industry data collector to validate them. They still need to check over the smart meter readings and make sure they are correct and fall in line with your meter reading history. Ultimately, we're looking into a way we can change how this appears on customers meter reading history, via their MyOVO account, as your MyOVO account is currently mirroring our in house system.

Hope this clears things up!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @NMWilson - Yes, @Bradley_OVO 's correct. We're all seeing this on our Statements. I wrote about it four weeks ago over here on another Topic.

However, it's news to me that an Energy Supplier also provides some of our readings to an "industry data collector" for validation. That sounds very sensible because it provides a measure of consumer protection against false readings or erroneous estimates in the future.

It would also assist DNOs (electricity) and GDNs (gas) in tracing thefts, leakages and inefficiencies of equipment. That's also good news because it lowers the Network-charge component of our domestic energy bills.

@Bradley_OVO can you confirm to us if the "industry data collector" you refer to are the same two bodies who maintain the meter databases; ie ECOES for electricity and Xoserve for gas?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey @Transparent

It's not the same bodies, no. Our Data Collectors don't administer those databases. We use a company called Morrison's.

Each supplier can use their own, so they're not always the same, but they do of course adhere to industry standards! ☺