Solved

Why is my usage much higher now that I've returned to OVO?

• 24 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I was with Ovo for electricity for approximately two years. The first year went fine and the second year, in exactly the same flat and with one less occupant, the bill went through the roof.

An advisor on the phone confirmed when I began giving more regular readings that he thought there was something wrong with the reads. After a lot of emails I did not get anywhere with establishing what happened and my only option was to set up an increased direct debit to pay off the debt.

I am now in a new property with a new supplier and was wondering if there are any settlement options if returning to Ovo?
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 6 November 2017, 16:00

Hi Mindy,

To help understand the issue better? Do you still owe OVO money from a previous property?

If the opening or closing meter readings being used were inaccurate, you might have been able to change them whilst you were their customer: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/meters-and-meter-readings/how-to-dispute-your-opening-and-closing-readings.html.

It will be difficult now that you've moved house though.

Matthew
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Mindy,

To help understand the issue better? Do you still owe OVO money from a previous property?

If the opening or closing meter readings being used were inaccurate, you might have been able to change them whilst you were their customer: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/meters-and-meter-readings/how-to-dispute-your-opening-and-closing-readings.html.

It will be difficult now that you've moved house though.

Matthew
Hello,

I was with Ovo for electricity for approximately two years. The first year went fine and the second year, in exactly the same flat and with one less occupant, the bill went through the roof.

An advisor on the phone confirmed when I began giving more regular readings that he thought there was something wrong with the reads. After a lot of emails I did not get anywhere with establishing what happened and my only option was to set up an increased direct debit to pay off the debt.

I am now in a new property with a new supplier and was wondering if there are any settlement options if returning to Ovo?

Hello Matthew, thank you for replying, do you work for Ovo? I do owe from a previous property but my grievances on meter readings were unheeded when mentioned multiple times.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @mindy, no I don't work for OVO, I'm just another user of the forum like you!

There are a couple of OVO employees who regularly read this forum, so maybe your query is best answered by one of them. I would advise that if you are worried about the previous debt that you don't transfer your new property to OVO until you have had the situation clarified.

You could also try contacting Citizens Advice, who might be able to provide generic help and advise:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @mindy,

If you owe OVO for a previous property, this debt amount will need to be fully cleared before the account can be closed down. This won’t stop you from switching your new property (as the two won't be linked) but if the debt is left on your old account, our Debt Collections team will begin contacting you to get this resolved.

Hope this helps,
Lucy