Solved

Why have my statements been reversed months after a replacement meter fitted?

• 12 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I've only recently discovered this forum and given the recent changes to the online discount —now self-service reward— I thought I'd post here rather than risk an email:

Quick summary of history:

- Joined OVO in Feb 2018
- Non-smart gas meter was faulty at the point of joining (dead battery); my previous supplier seemingly incapable of arranging a replacement
- At the time of calling OVO, they didn't have slots for fitting a smart meter (which would have been my preference) so put me on a waiting list for one
- In the meantime OVO arranged a non-smart meter like-for-like replacement with minimum fuss. Fitted end of April.
- Smart meter slot came up sooner than anticipated; smart meter fitted end of May
- End of May: I queried by email how the period between Feb - April would be billed for gas and was told:
* the old meter readings were unrecoverable
* they would calculate estimates based on a month of usage, partly from the new-but-decommissioned non-smart meter's readings and partly from the new smart meter's readings
- Start of Sept: queried by email why August statement contained no gas billing; was told that a billing suspension has been added to my account due to the faulty meter exchange, and that this had now been lifted
- 8 Nov: Received an email from OVO Customer Operations saying they have had to reverse some statements, and rebilled from go-live date (13 Feb) until non-smart meter installation (27 April), based on readings from my smart reader, and that the next statement will show charges on my new meters for 28/04/18 up until the 12/10/18
- 9 Nov: Statement email arrives. New statement's charge period is 13/2/2018 to 12/10/2018 (go-live date til a month ago), contrary to what the previous day's email stated.

Only my latest statement is now available via 'Statements & payments history' on My OVO. I have been a customer of OVO's 2 or 3 of times over the past 7 years or so (with other suppliers in-between), and they certainly used to attach a PDF copy of the statements to the Statement notification emails. But now that they don't and I haven't downloaded offline copies from My OVO, I cannot compare my previous statements with the new statement to make sure I've been billed correctly. OVO make it quite clear in the Help that previous statements will be available in perpetuity, but I guess since I've had my bills reversed this isn't the case?

Also just to comment that it might have been a whole lot less confusing if this had been sorted out immediately following the collection of usage data to be used as the basis for estimating the Feb-April period's usage, as the email I received in May implied, rather than waiting some 5 months later...

Finally, for the one historical PDF statement I do have an offline copy of (from August), I've noticed that it lists charges for a four month period (Apr-Aug), yet the statement email notifications arrive monthly. Is this normal? Looking at historical statements from 2011 they only ever covered a one month period.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 14 November 2018, 13:00

Thanks for reaching out about this, @jim3245

As it's account specific, forum users aren't best placed to help with this sort of thing. But I can offer some general advice on the points raised:

When we need to re-do the first bill, we have delete alllllll the bills and start again. The charges in the actual invoices won't change from the point that we have working meters. They will just be grouped in a new statement(s). I'd bet this is what's happened with you. Open up the PDF bill in the Statements section of MyOVO, it will probably have all the invoices including a new one from the period of the faulty meter: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

As for this re-billing, the longer period we have to look at your usage, the more accurate the estimates are. That's why we wanted to look at the period before and after the smart meter fitting. I believe it's a minimum of 3 months....

If you wanted any of this re-billing checked and explained in more detail, reach out to our Customer Care team on 0330 303 5063 or hello@ovoenergy.com. As this is not something you can find the answer to yourself, you won't lose your self service reward!
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi @Nancy_OVO - yes, that is indeed the case.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @jim3245 - in that case I think you might have one statement covering the whole period?
Userlevel 1
Thanks @Tim_OVO. I've looked again at the PDF bill, but "all the invoices" (as you put it) aren't there. I may be misunderstanding what you mean though. I'd already emailed Customer Operations in reply to their email of 8 Nov. If I don't hear back I'll be sure to make further contact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for reaching out about this, @jim3245

As it's account specific, forum users aren't best placed to help with this sort of thing. But I can offer some general advice on the points raised:

When we need to re-do the first bill, we have delete alllllll the bills and start again. The charges in the actual invoices won't change from the point that we have working meters. They will just be grouped in a new statement(s). I'd bet this is what's happened with you. Open up the PDF bill in the Statements section of MyOVO, it will probably have all the invoices including a new one from the period of the faulty meter: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

As for this re-billing, the longer period we have to look at your usage, the more accurate the estimates are. That's why we wanted to look at the period before and after the smart meter fitting. I believe it's a minimum of 3 months....

If you wanted any of this re-billing checked and explained in more detail, reach out to our Customer Care team on 0330 303 5063 or hello@ovoenergy.com. As this is not something you can find the answer to yourself, you won't lose your self service reward!