Solved

Why does 'Customer reading' and 'Estimated reading' show on my bill when I have a smart meter?

Userlevel 2
  • Savvy**
  • 7 replies
My latest statement dated 10 July 2018 shows my energy use based on the following meter readings - Electricity: Estimated reading 7 June 2018; Customer reading 30 June 2018; Estimated Reading 7 July 2018. Gas: Estimated reading 7 June 2018; Estimated Reading 7 July 2018. However, I can't understand why the statement is showing any "estimated" readings. I have SMART meters for both electricity and gas, so current actual meter readings should be collected by telemetry as required. I have no recollection of submitting the reported electricity "customer reading" on 30 June. Is there a labelling problem when the statements are being compiled? If so it, needs to be sorted out because it generates misleading statements. By the way, i've checked the readings manually today and the reported readings on the statement don't appear to be inaccurate - it's just the type of reading reported that I'm querying.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 13 July 2018, 15:51

RobC wrote:

I can't understand why the statement is showing any "estimated" readings. I have SMART meters for both electricity and gas

Good question @RobC

'Customer reading' shows when the meter reading taken from your smart meters are checked over by a third party and 'validated'. As they're 'official', we label them as a customer reading so we don't delete them.

As for 'Estimated reading', this will likely be when there's been a signal drop out at the worst time, so our system doesn't have a reading to use in your bill. What's the phone signal like around the electricity meter? Might be intermittent signal.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
RobC wrote:

I can't understand why the statement is showing any "estimated" readings. I have SMART meters for both electricity and gas

Good question @RobC

'Customer reading' shows when the meter reading taken from your smart meters are checked over by a third party and 'validated'. As they're 'official', we label them as a customer reading so we don't delete them.

As for 'Estimated reading', this will likely be when there's been a signal drop out at the worst time, so our system doesn't have a reading to use in your bill. What's the phone signal like around the electricity meter? Might be intermittent signal.
Userlevel 2
Hi @Tim_OVOTim_OVO,

Thanks for the explanation. It's not a big deal, but I still think "Customer" reading is a bit misleading. A more informative label might be "Third-party reading" or "Validation reading" - then it would distinguish it from a reading actually sent in by a customer.

I'm a bit surprised that poor phone reception should be to blame for my repeated "Estimated" readings - because cellular network reception is usually okay round here. I don't know which network OVO uses, but the BT/EE mobile network is currently giving 2 bars at the meter box and Vodafone is also usually good. I'll keep an eye on future statements and post again if I keep seeing estimated readings.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 2
Here's an update - I'm pleased to report that both the electricity and gas readings dated 7 Aug 2018 are shown simply as "Reading" on my August (ie latest) statement. So presumably my smart meters are now transmitting routine readings normally and the "Estimated reading" issue has gone away.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sounds like it @RobC! If it just says 'reading' that means it's been taken from your meter.
Userlevel 2
Thanks @Nancy_OVO for confirming that 'reading' on my statement means my smart meters are now doing their job properly and supplying readings to OVO.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close