Solved

Why are my monthly statements split?

• 22 November 2019
  • 14 replies

Until this month my single monthly statement used to show both my gas and electricity consumption. This month I have received two separate statements, one for gas and one for electricity. Why is that? In addition each of the two statements only covers 9 days and not a monthly period. Does any one know why the statements have changed in this way?

icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 25 November 2019, 12:57

Hey @canary1 have you had smart meters installed recently or had them changed??  If so, this might be why these have been split.  The new meter details can be passed back to us separately, so this then means we need to bill each meter.   

You can get these back on one bill, we just need to make some changes to part of your account to sort this.  Just give us a quick call, the current wait time is only 4 minutes, so you’ll get through to someone pretty quickly and we can get this resolved. :)   You can contact us again via Facebook, but might be quicker, given the current wait time to call.  

Worth noting you wouldn’t lose your SSR for calling about this, as you need to call to resolve, its not something you can do yourself online. :) 

View original

14 replies

Thanks, Ivor. In addition to the change in the number of statements I received, the usage graph shows no gas or electricity consumption for October which is obviously not the case as I have paid bills for that period. Before I approach them through Facebook, am I right in thinking that if I e mail OVO directly about these queries, i automatically lose my SSR even though they are legitimate queries?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @canary1 have you had smart meters installed recently or had them changed??  If so, this might be why these have been split.  The new meter details can be passed back to us separately, so this then means we need to bill each meter.   

You can get these back on one bill, we just need to make some changes to part of your account to sort this.  Just give us a quick call, the current wait time is only 4 minutes, so you’ll get through to someone pretty quickly and we can get this resolved. :)   You can contact us again via Facebook, but might be quicker, given the current wait time to call.  

Worth noting you wouldn’t lose your SSR for calling about this, as you need to call to resolve, its not something you can do yourself online. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Ivor Appleyard given you seem intent on making it harder work for our other members to get the help they need, I’m removing your last 2 comments on here, as they are neither helpful, or advising the right course of action to help us resolve any questions or queries quickly for people.

If you’re not able to provide useful help or advice, please refrain from posting and making it harder work for our members to get help.  

Hi Darran

Thank you for your helpful reply. Following your suggestion I have just rung OVO and one of your colleagues, Sarah, explained what she thought had happened and was then able to make some changes to my account so that I will now only receive one statement and the usage graph will show the correct reading  . The wait time was only about two minutes and my SSR has not been affected. Thank you for your help - excellent customer care!

Userlevel 6
Badge

This is great to hear, @canary1, thanks for the update. 

:relaxed:

Shortly after sending OVO my monthly consumption for April I received an email from OVO telling me that my statement was ready to look at as usual. However, when I looked at it all I could see was a statement for the first day of the new charging month and no statement for the previous month. I emailed the help line and  was told that this is the way that OVO now operates. I was told to find Charges, then find the month I wanted the statement for (no advice on how to do that) but having used the arrows at the top of the page I found the month in question so I then used the Download PDF button only to find that all it downloaded was a statement of the first few days this month. I tried a few more times with the same result.

I actually don’t want or need daily statements of emails from OVO telling me about them. A smart meter could do that for me.

I tried another method and eventually found another way to see previous statements but there was not one for April so I still can’t see my statement for that month (ending on 4 May).

This is an unwanted backwards step by OVO and is extremely annoying.   

Userlevel 6
Badge

It sounds like we’ve moved you onto our upgraded billing platform, @ElectricTV, the new platform is more reactive than the old one. Your balance updates daily so you have a clear reflection of where your account stands, but you'll still get a monthly summary and your historic statements will still be available to view. 

Please reach out to the team about the missing statement they’ll take a look into it. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

Thanks! 

Thanks Amy. It would have been more helpful if OVO had told us about the new system and our migration onto it before it happened. As I said above the ability to see data on a daily basis is a pretty useless upgrade because we can already see that information far more easily on our meters and nobody with a life to live is likely to log in to OVO more than once a month, let alone daily. In any case daily billing information is pretty irrelevant because gas consumption for much of the year is dependent on outside temperatures which we can’t control and you need to use a smart meter to inform you that using the tumble drier is a very expensive use of electricity!

It is also a  backward step overall because I now can’t see the calorific value of gas used on the statement to enable me to convert cubic meters to kWh and the best you offer is to clear off to someone else’s very complicated website to try to find the number. I failed. 

I submitted my latest readings on the morning of 4 May but my statement claims that it was on the previous day and then adds an estimated figure for the next day. This is both wrong and vastly overcomplicating the process to no benefit.

I am not at all impressed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@ElectricTVwrote:

I tried another method and eventually found another way to see previous statements but there was not one for April

Ah - now that’s interesting.

@Amy_OVO there’s another Topic here where two customers are reporting a missing Statement for April. Can you and @Ed_OVO compare case-notes and see if the programmers are yet investigating this?

Userlevel 6
Badge

We did notify all members about the changed of our billing platform, @ElectricTV, the old platform will be obsolete soon.

The way we calculate gas hasn't changed, you can find the calorific value used on your monthly summary.  

Please advise the team of the issue with the reading when you contact them regarding the missing April statement, they’ll take a look into both things. 

Thanks for the heads up, @Transparent, I’ll catch up with Ed ASAP. 

Amy

Sorry you are wrong. The calorific value is not shown on the statement as I have already said. The new “improved’ statement now tells you to go to another website to find it. I can see no justification for OVO to change this part of the statement. Prior to last month’s statement the calorific value was shown as a single figure for the charging period. Why change something that worked fine?

You say that customers were advised about the accounting change. I have just checked back all email received from OVO and cannot find any such notification until I received a reply from the OVO help desk when I first opened this complaint. In other words the notification was after I had been migrated to the new system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Oh, I see what you mean @ElectricTV !

I think there’s some changes here that need to be run past your Compliancy Manager@Amy_OVO .

I’ve just looked at my last Statement (April), and ElectricTV is correct. The Calorific Value used in OVO’s calculations is no longer provided.

Moreover the weblink does not take you to a page where you can obtain the CV for your region during the Billing-month in question. Instead it merely provides an explanation.

Fortuitously, I do know where to view the real data! :relaxed:

I would normally obtain gas data from Data Item Explorer, which looks like this:

This is an extremely data-rich site. You need to choose carefully which data you’re after and over what range of times/dates.

I particularly like the CSV export into a spreadsheet from where I can sort the data and create my own graphs. Here’s the CV for the past 15 days of May20 in my supply-region of SW England:

But that alone still doesn’t answer @ElectricTV ‘s question.

We actually should be told the figure which OVO used within the billing calculation.

Is it

• the average CV over the billing period?
  • the CV on the day that my monthly usage was calculated?
  • the lowest CV recorded during the period (a figure stipulated in the Gas Regulations)?

And I can already anticipate what’s going to happen next…

because I’ve just provided @ElectricTV with a bonanza of data which is certain to arrive back here with all sorts of additional questions and observations!:wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well I’ve done some more background research into this… so I’m able to reply to my own question posted above!

The way in which the new Billing Software operates is very different from the earlier system.

Previously a Bill was generated by taking the Mean of the Calorific Value for the month in question, then multiply by the number of units accrued on the meter. (Plus conversion factors). The Statement was issued on the monthly anniversary of the start-date of the Contract.

The new system is based on Daily Calculations.

It takes the CV and Gas Meter reading for each day and calculates the Usage in kWh as we see displayed on our histograms. These daily totals are then added to provide the monthly Statement.

So let’s look at my gas usage during Feb/March this year, assuming that my Contract Start-date was 10th Feb:

By the end of March, the old system would’ve given me one Statement dated 10th March.

The new Billing System has given me two Statements for 29th Feb and 31st March.

The problem being reported by customers who weren’t issued any Statement for April is most likely derived from an anomoly in deciding the Start-date of that Bill when they were migrated across to the new platform.

Now I can see some potential errors creeping in from the way the new system works unless the Smart Meter can be read consistently each day.

But before I demonstrate those, let’s see if the Moderators agree with my explanation and chart above. @Tim_OVO@Nancy_OVO ?

I thought I was bad but some people on here really do need to get a life.