Solved

Where do I find my annual usage figures?

How do I find out how much gas and electricity energy I have used in the last year. I have been with ovoenergy for that time
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 5 April 2017, 13:25

How do I find out how much gas and electricity energy I have used in the last year. I have been with ovoenergy for that time

Great question, G3RIR. :)

There's no one place (other then an annual statement) which shows your actual usage for the year. Each statement will show your usage for that month, and give you a comparison for the same month the year before. It will also give your annual usage average. Both of these figures can be found on the second page of the statement.

To work out your annual usage manually, you can either add up each of your statements, subtract the kWh usage from your statement in June 2016, from the kWh usage on your most recent statement.

Lucy

**Updated 16/07/2019**
View original

23 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Great question, G3RIR. :)

There's no one place (other then an annual statement) which shows your actual usage for the year. Each statement will show your usage for that month, and give you a comparison for the same month the year before. It will also give your annual usage average. Both of these figures can be found on the second page of the statement.

To work out your annual usage manually, you can either add up each of your statements, subtract the kWh usage from your statement in June 2016, from the kWh usage on your most recent statement.

Lucy

**Updated 16/07/2019**
Thanks Lucy. Goodness me what a crude system from an innovator like Ovoenergy. It would only take a few lines of code to add the facility to my account details. Neil G3RIR
Hi, I've just been emailed an Annual Electricity Summary. The usage and cost information it includes do not agree with the same information displayed on your website. The e-mail says I used 7096kWh when the website shows 5450kWh for the same period. The e-mail says it cost £950 when the website says it cost £883. What's going on? Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi, I've just been emailed an Annual Electricity Summary. The usage and cost information it includes do not agree with the same information displayed on your website. The e-mail says I used 7096kWh when the website shows 5450kWh for the same period. The e-mail says it cost £950 when the website says it cost £883. What's going on? Thanks.

Sometimes this can be a bit out, Rhino as it’s based on a few different factors which can vary the accuracy. I’d rely on the information displayed on your My OVO account but if you want to double check this, you’ll be able to check this against your statements over the last 12 months.

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread so that other users are able to find your comment easily and offer their advice if they’ve experienced something similar.

Lucy
My renewal notice has arrived and I would like to know how much electricity and gas I have actually used in the last year. Please can I get this info?
By the way, I would like to stay with Ovo but comparison sites seem to suggest (as far as I can work out) I can save a good amount by going elsewhere. (Due to shrinking household, my usage may well drop next year, which complicates things further!)
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
My renewal notice has arrived and I would like to know how much electricity and gas I have actually used in the last year. Please can I get this info?
By the way, I would like to stay with Ovo but comparison sites seem to suggest (as far as I can work out) I can save a good amount by going elsewhere. (Due to shrinking household, my usage may well drop next year, which complicates things further!)

Hey @JonOvo! You'll be able to find this information by subtracting the kWh usage from your statement in June 2016, from the kWh usage on your most recent statement.

Alternatively, feel free to PM me your name, DoB and OVO account number and I can help you with this.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Managed to confirm these numbers in the end @G3RIR :?

Just a quick one to advise that I've tweaked the title of this topic, as a few other users have had the same query and I want them to find the answer to this.

Tim
I would like to compare my daily usage with that of last year but I can only go back four days, weeks or years. I want to see what my usage was on the same day in previous years rather than comparing the monthly totals available on the Historical Usage page. Is this possible ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I would like to compare my daily usage with that of last year but I can only go back four days, weeks or years. I want to see what my usage was on the same day in previous years rather than comparing the monthly totals available on the Historical Usage page. Is this possible ?

Thanks for the post, @davidR - I've moved this to another topic on a similar subject. Hopefully another user can advise on this: @G3RIR @JonOvo what do we recon?

Tim
What purpose will be solved by comparing amounts used on the same day in previous years?
I have had every consumer aid, from the very early ones where you put clamps around the meter cables to the latest 'smart' meter. None have been very helpful in controlling energy use. A hell of a lot of money has been spent installing rubbish equipment, I believe British Gas are now installing the third version and these like all the others installed to date will be replaced eventually with meters that will communicate over a standard network. The customer is paying for all of this!! For the next 6 months incompatible smart meters will continue to be installed, with OFGEM approval.
I have panels on my roof, so have a smart meter and a generation meter so that I can provide readings and be paid via the Fits scheme.

GIVEN A CHOICE I WOULD NOT HAVE A SMART METER. THEY GIVE TO MUCH CONTROL TO THE SUPPLIER. Yes they may introduce variable rates for day/night usage BUT the individual meter gives them the power to decide who gets a supply should they need to ration. Pay a premium and get a supply; whilst the house next door is disconnected.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @BarryBid,

They’ll be able to see how much energy they were using to see if it’s higher or lower, then the individual can look into what may have affected this change.

Smart meters are really great as they;

1. Reduce your energy use and save on your bills
2. Give you many ways to keep track of your energy use
3. Let you say goodbye to meter readings
4. Provide totally up-to-date bills

For more information, check out; https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-are-the-benefits-of-smart-meters.html.
By having smart meters, if we’re able to see exactly how much energy is being consumed by a large number of customers, this will help us in predicting their usage when we buy their fuel for the year which could also mean that we’re able to pass on any savings to customers.

Lucy
Hi Lucy,

1) Smart meters cannot reduce energy use and as they are being paid for by the customer they are part of our bills. Very well hidden, but so are a lot of other costs that the customer faces to support suppliers like OVO.
2) If the lights are on, you are using energy. Until different rates are applied to time of use tracking energy use should be a waste of time.
3) Perhaps we will see meter readers out of a job, but that is not my experience to date.
4) The bill may be up-to- date but not many suppliers charge the amount billed. OVO charges a fixed amount to direct debit and aims to create a credit balance. OVO tempers this by paying interest on the credit balance.

Predicting usage with some accuracy should help OVO make a profit on its prime business as a commodity trader. Passing any portion of profits (savings?) to the customer is a pious hope.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Interesting points for discussion, @BarryBid.

What are your thoughts @Mw2870, @Emma_G, @sam_cat?

Nancy
As the title says - there is nowhere in My Ovo to find my annual or month total usage figures. How do i find them?
There is no annual statement in my statements, despite having been a customer or over a year.

Giving daily usage figures is pretty redundant, and its ridiculous to expect a customer would add up daily usage to get either of these two figures.

Chris
I want to do a comparison and i just need a total amount of KWH used in the past 12 months, do i have to go through all my statements? Was there a yearly statement? Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @tess157 - yes you should receive an 'Annual Summary' after having been on supply with OVO for 12 months!
I pay monthly for gas and electricity how do I find my total annual usage?
Hi,

My plan is due to finish soon, but want to look for the cheapest possible tariffs about.

How or where on my statements are the estimated usage for the year so i can compare because i cant seem to find it and want to get as accurate estimate as possible.

I am sure with my last provider they gave me an estimate of what i might use over the next year, so at least i had an idea
Thanks
hey. I need help where I can find current electricity and gas consumption. I am moving out of the apartment and I have to provide the current meter for the Agency, please help me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@MJWL @valleyboy22 @RafalJasniewski @amylou104 check out Lucy's 'best answer', comment above re an annual statements and annual usage. The annual usage average is on your monthly statement!
I have had my renewal letter through but no annual usage shown on it & I can’t find it when I log into my account. How do I find it out?
As my contract is due to expire soon, I want to compare with other companies. How do I find my day / night useage>

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@amylou104 @BigMart - have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on where to find your annual usage amounts.

Don't forget to look at the unit prices and standing charges as well! 😉