Solved

Standing charge when no one is in the property - why?

• 18 October 2017
  • 6 replies

An elderly lady whose name I will not mention, went away for a while.

Her energy usage bills were naturally minimal.

However, on both electric and gas although her gas usage (let's say 5 pounds), was actually 15 pounds an increase of 200% of what she actually used!!! Even the 5 pounds while she was away, seems a bit dodgy as all gas appliances were off.

Nothing more to say, except money for nothing.

icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 27 October 2017, 15:19

However on both electric and gas although her gas usage (lets say 5 pounds), was actually 15 pounds an increase of 200% of what she actually used!!! Even the 5 pounds while she was away, seems a bit dodgy as all gas appliances were off.

Updated 23/07/2019

Hey catch22,

If a customer leaves their property for a period of time, then no gas or electricity will be consumed. You’re right in what you say though - customers pay for their energy per kWh but there is also a daily standing charge. This is for the daily maintenance of the cables and pipes connecting the property. Even if no one is using energy, it's able to be their choice to use energy or not because of the infrastructure in place. More information on standing charges can be found here.

Hope this helps,
Lucy

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

However on both electric and gas although her gas usage (lets say 5 pounds), was actually 15 pounds an increase of 200% of what she actually used!!! Even the 5 pounds while she was away, seems a bit dodgy as all gas appliances were off.

Updated 23/07/2019

Hey catch22,

If a customer leaves their property for a period of time, then no gas or electricity will be consumed. You’re right in what you say though - customers pay for their energy per kWh but there is also a daily standing charge. This is for the daily maintenance of the cables and pipes connecting the property. Even if no one is using energy, it's able to be their choice to use energy or not because of the infrastructure in place. More information on standing charges can be found here.

Hope this helps,
Lucy

Well if no gas or electricity is consumed but you're still taking money, then IMO it's a rip off a customer is paying for something they didn't use. They could even be away for some time because of illness-accident
Userlevel 2
And the suppliers who have a zero standing charge just increase their unit rate.
I have used OVO for several years for my Electricity, but as I only have one gas alliance that I rarely use (no central heating system), I use another supplier who has no standing charge for the Gas. Yes the unit rate is higher, but if I don't use it I don't pay. I would much prefer it to be like that. If OVO could offer a no standing charge tariff (even though the unit rates are higher) I could get dual fuel with one supplier, and the discounts dual fuel customers can get. 🙂
Having checked the market on standing charges why is ovo’s Charge so high? My bill each day is mainomade up from a standard charge not through usage
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Simonbrooker - I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find out more about standing charges. Check out the link in Lucy's best answer above 👍🏼