Solved

New smart meter, strange readings, higher bills?

• 7 February 2018
  • 11 replies

Hello,

I have had a smart meter installed for a short while now and have just started checking the bills out.

I noticed my next bill projection has jumped up quite a lot, at least £20 higher than any "what's gone out" figure from my payment history. It's hard to judge as I can now not see any of my history for when I didn't have a smart meter.

The other strange thing is my highest usage yesterday seems to be when I was tucked up in bed asleep! I can assure you that there was nothing on that wasn't on all day as well.

How can you explain these readings as I can not work it out all?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 7 February 2018, 16:03

Hey @chrismacp,

I've added a few tags to this post so other users can find information on the same question.

Your online account can only hold information for one set of meters at a time, which is why your old meter information has been removed. As we would only get readings from your old meters on an ad-hoc basis, this also wouldn't feed into the format of the smart usage graphs. We can collect readings from your new meters consistently and regularly, which creates a much more illustrative and detailled graph.

With regards to the prediction for next month, I'm guessing from the screenshot that your January bill was deducted recently, and that we're now collecting data from the start of February. Based on the few days so far, our system has calculated that if you continued to use energy at the same rate until the next bill is deducted, it'll cost a certain amount. However, it's only got 6/7 days of data to use so far. As the month goes on, this figure will adjust based on all the readings receive and the closer you get to your billing date, the more accurate it's going to be.

The night-time usage does have me a little perplexed though! Sometimes it can look like you've used electricity on the graph when you were asleep/weren't in, if a reading came through late. We're collecting readings from your meter half hourly, so every half hour we sent a request to your meter for a read. If this comes through immediately, the graph is going to be spot on. However, depending on mobile signal between us and your meter, sometimes it takes a short while for the meter to get back to us. If this happens, there can be a delay collating your usage.

If you want to check what the strength of the signal to your meter is like, take your mobile phone close to the electricity meter and see how many bars you have!

Hope this has answered your questions! Comment any more below.

Nancy

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @chrismacp,

I've added a few tags to this post so other users can find information on the same question.

Your online account can only hold information for one set of meters at a time, which is why your old meter information has been removed. As we would only get readings from your old meters on an ad-hoc basis, this also wouldn't feed into the format of the smart usage graphs. We can collect readings from your new meters consistently and regularly, which creates a much more illustrative and detailled graph.

With regards to the prediction for next month, I'm guessing from the screenshot that your January bill was deducted recently, and that we're now collecting data from the start of February. Based on the few days so far, our system has calculated that if you continued to use energy at the same rate until the next bill is deducted, it'll cost a certain amount. However, it's only got 6/7 days of data to use so far. As the month goes on, this figure will adjust based on all the readings receive and the closer you get to your billing date, the more accurate it's going to be.

The night-time usage does have me a little perplexed though! Sometimes it can look like you've used electricity on the graph when you were asleep/weren't in, if a reading came through late. We're collecting readings from your meter half hourly, so every half hour we sent a request to your meter for a read. If this comes through immediately, the graph is going to be spot on. However, depending on mobile signal between us and your meter, sometimes it takes a short while for the meter to get back to us. If this happens, there can be a delay collating your usage.

If you want to check what the strength of the signal to your meter is like, take your mobile phone close to the electricity meter and see how many bars you have!

Hope this has answered your questions! Comment any more below.

Nancy

Updated on 12/07/2019
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked my phone signal next to the meter and don't appear to have any problems there. I guess the installer would have told me if that was going to be a problem surely.

I too am very perplexed. Can you tell me more about how you make requests to the meter. Would I be right in thinking that because your request to my meter went without a response, that this would be logged by the system. Maybe then you can check the logs for the day in question.

I am pretty concerned that I'm being incorrectly billed and do not feel very confident that this meter is doing the job. I was looking forward to the extra information it provides but it's making me want my old meter back now 😞
It certainly would be logged on the system, @chrismacp

Send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can look into this and offer some reassurance - https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy.

If you don't have Facebook, you can contact our Care team by email - hello@ovoenergy.com.

Emma
@chrismacp I have exactly the same issue, my electricity bill had doubled since I got a smart meter.

Nothing has changed with my house in over three years apart from having a smart meter and I want my old meter back too.

Something must be wrong somewhere?
Userlevel 1
Earlier this year I had smart meters installed - both electric and gas. My bills are now significantly higher - was paying 125 per month and now 165 (same contract, DD).
I am concerned my new gas meter may be faulty and over-reading. My modern gas boiler is rated at 22kw. I have a nest smart thermostat which reports how many hours the boiler is running. On Saturday I was away so went into ‘away Mode’ and only used 1 1/4 hours heating and no hot water so, even running full whack, would equate to 27.5 kWh. However the ‘daily consumption’ in the ovo app shows 46kwh, equivalent to more than 2 hours heating at a cost of £1.24 . Also bear in mind that the boiler modulates down once the circulating water hits a certain temperature so very unlikely it was running at 22kw for the whole time it was on.
something doesn’t seem right between the boiler capacity/hours usage and the consumption being billed. How can I get this checked ? Anyone else noticed something similar?

Anyone else willing to share their monthly bills for reference ? Mines a 1950s detached 4 bed house with roof and wall insulation and double glazing and, as mentioned, paying £165 pm for a family of 4 elec and gas about 50:50 split but more like 30:70 gas when it’s really cold.
Userlevel 2
Hi @nicka88

I've moved your message over to this topic, as previous comments should help! 🙂
Since smart meter has been installed my consumption has gone up ...... I have tested the system ... Switched all electric appliances off overnight including fridge and freezer ..... ..... Smart meter shows 32 .... Exactly the same if fridg freezer tv standby on ....
I contacted SSE and they said that's a standard charge .... My use age has gone up 28% according to their records hence my increased bill....

i am not using any more than I have done over past years .... It seems very strange the increase is since the smart meter ....???
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Getting a smart meter installed wouldn't affect your consumption - it wouldn't be able to. It's purpose is the same as other meters. To measure your consumption and take readings so we can bill you to actual usage.

I do think that when customer have smart meters installed they become much more aware of their usage. If there has been an actual increase in kWhs, this could also be attributed to you previously being billed to estimated readings. If this isn't the case though, then it's likely that you're just using a little bit more energy.

Smart meters are great - as they send us readings so you don't have to, it means your bills will always be accurate.

Lucy
One thing that a smart meter does is remove the analogue meters and replace them with digital ones.

I’m not renewing with OVO as they don’t seem to want to look into my history and see that original my bills were substantial less and now they are about double yet nothing has changed at my property. Not only that, I was disconnected by mistake then since that and the smart meter being installed everything has gone wrong.

Such a shame as was great for the first year, three years on I feel annoyed, ripped off and 100% sure there is an issue but it’s my job to prove it for some reason and put up the cost. I live in a modern 4 bed house with just my partner and my last monthly bill was £186! Come on OVO that isn’t right!

The stress of all this has been enough plus the funicular strain.
Hello everyone,

Just discoved my smart meter has different rates showing compared to my contract.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Just discoved my smart meter has different rates showing compared to my contract.

This sorted now, @Jonvan ?

Correcting the prices loaded onto the meter will change how your costs appear on the meter and In Home Display, but it won't effect your billing or MyOVO,

This page might be worth a look.