Solved

Is my Annual statement (pre renewal) incorrect with respect to "Your current tariff information"?

• 5 February 2019
  • 15 replies

Received my annual statement and alert to renew my plan ending Feb 2019. After much detailed reading I now think I understand it.

My plan ends on 25th February 2019, however on page 4 entitled "Your current tariff information" it says "Tariff ends on 25 February 2020" and "Price guaranteed until 25 February 2020".
Surely this is incorrect. My current tariff ends with my plan on 25 February 2019.

Can someone from OVO confirm the error or clarify?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 25 February 2019, 17:03

My plan ends on 25th February 2019, however on page 4 entitled "Your current tariff information" it says "Tariff ends on 25 February 2020" and "Price guaranteed until 25 February 2020".

The 'Tariff ends on' figure should be correct @Ray - have a look on MyOVO to confirm the contract length and contract end date.

If you've checked and this statement has an issue, email us so we can report it: hello@ovoenergy.com
View original

15 replies

Doesn't anybody from OVO see these questions? If so I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I wouldn't take any notice of those pieces of information, they appear wrong and misleading on my statements too. Last year I was on a standard rate tariff until November when it ended and yet my annual statement still said that my tariff ends 27 November 2020.

The only reason I can see why OVO likes to confuse us is that the 'actual tariff' ends on that date, i.e. new customer won't be able to sign up to that 'actual tariff' after November 2020 which would make sense but I'm not sure we need to see that information ourselves.
Thanks Slinky. I'm still awaiting an explanation from OVO. Statements from corporate bodies like OVO should be correct and when errors are brought to their attention they should be fixed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ray

That would really depend on whether it's an actual error. It could be like I say that tariff is only available until that date. Hopefully one of the OVO peeps will clarify this for us.
Slinky, I take your point but I think you are being too generous to OVO. I am currently on a 12 month fixed tariff that ends on 25th February 2019. Why on earth would they say that the tariff ends and is guaranteed until 25th February 2020? At the very least it is misleading. It does not reflect the 12 month plan I am actually on.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I think you might be making the same mistake that I did in believing that information related to you personally. It's been a bone of contention for me too because I think it serves only to confuse the customer as you've discovered.

I think the key sentence is: "the tariff ends and is guaranteed until 25th February 2020"

As I said before this probably relates to new customers who sign up to that tariff and therefore those particular tariff rates are guaranteed until that date. Obviously after that date the tariff rates will probably change or the tariff might cease to exist entirely.

I'm assuming that this misleading information is on our bills because that's the actual name for the tariff you're on. The reason I believe I might be right is that when I did a price comparison recently I was asked to select my tariff name from a drop down list, OVO had dozens including the one your on. Presumably if OVO didn't tell you this information it would make it more difficult to get an accurate price comparison. Without knowing the name of your tariff things would be pretty confusing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
To further confuse you take a look at my October bill for 2018 As you can see my tariff ended 27 November 2017 but I remained on it until 27 November 2018. Confused? I know I am, I think this is what's know as an OVO cock up perhaps? It wouldn't be the first time my bills have been wrong, OVO seem to excel at making mistakes lately.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
By contrast the bill below shows correct tariff details.

As you can see the contract name is '2 Year Fixed Energy (all online) 07 September 2018'. I started this contract shortly after it's release on the 27th November 2018 when my previous one came to an end. My 2 Year contract will end on the 27th November 2020

Ok. I'm now going to interpret their their tariff comparisons like this:

Page 3. The table that presents the plan comparisons has got my current plan and prices in the first column.

Page 4. Entitled "Your Current tariff information" contains the same prices (inc vat) and states the tariff ends on 25 Feb 2020 and prices guaranteed until 25 Feb 2020.

So, I will assume that I can renew my current PLAN for 12 months (until 25 Feb 2020) at these TARIFF rates, i.e. the same as I am now on.

The key words are Plan and Tariff.

If that is all correct then the statement is accurate, but perhaps not clear.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Morning Ray,

You seem to have a different 'Annual Statement' layout to what I received, mine only has 3 pages. Strangely mine also does not relate to the last 12 months on my old tariff but instead relates to the new tariff I took out in November 2018!! More confusion!!

That said, from what you've explained about the information shown on your own annual statement that does seem to fit with what I've been saying above. I suppose the proof will only be evident when you ask to renew it, though it might also be worth looking at OVO's other tariffs and see which is cheaper.

OVO statements always used to be clear, when I first joined I thought they were a breath of fresh air over previous suppliers, sadly something changed along the way and I spend all my spare time trying to figure them out. Someone from OVO should be commenting here, so far they seem to be giving this thread a wide birth ☹

It might help other readers if you can post a screenshot of your annual statement (personally identifiable information removed), it's easier to understand these things if you can see them.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The 'Tariff ends on' figure should be correct @Ray - have a look on MyOVO to confirm the contract length and contract end date.

If you've checked and this statement has an issue, email us so we can report it: hello@ovoenergy.com
Tim
I was on a 12 month contract that ended today 25th February 2019.

I quote from my initial query in this topic and from my renewal statement:

"My plan ends on 25th February 2019, however on page 4 of the renewal package under the heading "Your current tariff information" it says "Tariff ends on 25 February 2020" and "Price guaranteed until 25 February 2020".

Can't somebody from OVO investigate this inconsistency based on the information I have already provided?

I'm trying to do everything online so that my online discount is not compromised. Others have reported losing their discount when pointing out something that was wrong.

I renewed my contract for another 12 months today but given the lack of support I have received since opening this topic, I'm wondering whether I've done the right thing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ray

I think what @Tim_OVO is trying to say is what I was telling you though Tim has used different terminology.

So the key wording is:-

'Tariff' - This can run for whatever length of time until the end date.

'Contract' - This is the amount of time you will be on a particular tariff.

'Plan' - OVO seems to use this wording to also describe 'Contract', I think this is where some of the confusion lies perhaps.
The facts I have presented are pretty clear. Slinky may be right in his speculation, but the again he might not be. We are all speculating until OVO provides a definitive answer. So please, no more speculation.

Somebody from OVO needs to get to grips with this. The current level of customer support is way below par.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Ray

Tim seems to have given the best answer, if after checking your MyOVO Account you still believe this information is wrong you can email hello@ovoenergy.com they won't penalise you if it's not an issue you can self serve on.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings