Solved

I'm at the end of my tether - why are you STILL using estimated readings?

• 12 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Ovo, "uSwitch Energy Supplier of the year 2019", I've been patient, and I mean really, really patient. This has been going on since May of last year. I first reported the issue on the 5th June 2018. It's now the 12th March 2019 and my billing is still all over the place, despite multiple promises to get things sorted. I'm giving one last chance to get this sorted (on here, because if I call, I may end up losing my self-service "reward" to boot). And if it isn't sorted this time, Mt Etna won't have anything on me.

Strap in folks. There's plenty of reading here. Dates are as accurate as I can make them (via emails timestamps and my no-longer so stellar memory on when phonecalls took place)

So, my electric smart meter (as in the actual meter, not the display) went kaput in the middle of May last year. It took me a couple of weeks to notice, and I subsequently reported it to you on the 5th June 2018 via email. Due to, and I quote: "an issue with our system which didn't allow us to receive your email sooner", I didn't get a reply until the 24th June. After some back and forth, despite me being very clear (with pictures to boot!) that the meter itself had failed, the problem was logged as an issue with signal and left to see if it would resolve. It took a phonecall to get through the fact that the meter was faulty. I was subsequently told that I would be added to the list to have the meter replaced, but that it may take a little while until an appointment was available (which is odd, because you'll install a smart meter within the week when you first get one in).

Two months later, I still hadn't heard anything, so emailed you on the 3rd September 2018 asking what the plan was. I was told (and quote) "Unfortunately, dedicated smart meter repair engineers are in short supply which is why it's taking a long time to get an engineer out to your property." OK, fine, I get that, I let it slide a bit longer. You clarified at the time that my bill would be based on my "historical readings". And here I was dilligently harranguing my wife and kid to turn everything off when the left the room to cut the bills.

I made a phonecall to you about a month later, again explaining that I had been without a meter for 5 months. On this occasion, I was told that there'd been a change in the contractor you used to fix smart meters, hence the delay. Okay! I get you, old contractor was naff, I get it, I do. I let things lie for another month.

So, by the end of October, I've given up waiting. I call again, I ask for the issue to be escalated. Lo' and behold, a manager gets things sorted (cheers Martin! The only person who seems to actually have the ability to get things done) and an engineer is booked for the following day. I clarify that my bills will be corrected by averaging my usage and applying it backwards. The meter is installed on the 24th October.

So. I give it another month and a bit, and the meter readings, for whatever reason, are not going to my account. It's still using the old meter and estimating readings from that. So on the 13th December I email asking what is going on. I get a reply later that day:
"...it looks like our system still had your old meter details and although your smart meters are now sending readings through to us as intended, your statements still contained estimated readings for your old meters.
I've raised this with our Smart Support team who are resolving this right now. You should receive an up to date statement covering all of your usage since the installation of you new smart meter to actual readings within the next 10 working days"

It's now March 2019. This is still not sorted. I am now officially out of patience, and I can't even speak to anyone without being charged for not "helping myself" to fix the problem. I think I'm being more than generous asking you one last time, on your own forums to fix this. There's an email ready to go to the Observer and Which? magazine detailing the entireity of the above as I'm sure it'll make a wonderful story, but I'm giving one chance to get this sorted.

Please sort this. It's a miracle I'm still a customer, but there ain't no magic left.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 20 March 2019, 18:42

Hi @Mouse_Nightshirt and sorry to hear about this experience.

As we'd need to get your account details and look into this in depth, I think it'd be best to get in touch with the team via whichever means you prefer (phone, email, Facebook, Twitter - let me know if you need details).

That said, and it's a shame to say it - but since it's been such a saga for you, it may be more helpful to have a dedicated agent in the Complaints team to do a full investigation and get back to you. If that's the route you'd prefer, follow the link @Phil_H posted above.

Thanks
View original

3 replies

Hello

It sounds like a nightmare and you seem to be going round in circles.

Have you made an official complaint to OVO?

See:-
https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

If you do you wont loose your self service reward for making a complaint. Once you have made a complaint OVO have to follow a specific procedure and timescale to resolve the problems to your satisfaction if this does not happen you can ask the the energy ombudsman to intervene.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Mouse_Nightshirt and sorry to hear about this experience.

As we'd need to get your account details and look into this in depth, I think it'd be best to get in touch with the team via whichever means you prefer (phone, email, Facebook, Twitter - let me know if you need details).

That said, and it's a shame to say it - but since it's been such a saga for you, it may be more helpful to have a dedicated agent in the Complaints team to do a full investigation and get back to you. If that's the route you'd prefer, follow the link @Phil_H posted above.

Thanks