Solved

I didn't receive my Self Service Reward because of one email - is this right?

• 30 January 2019
  • 15 replies

I did not receive my Self Service Reward on my bill dated 20th Jan so I emailed Ovo to complain. Unbelievably their response was that I didn't receive the £15 reward because I had emailed them that month. The only email I have sent them was the one complaining that I hadn't received the £15 and this was obviously sent AFTER I hadn't received the £15. You couldn't make it up!
icon

Best answer by Slinky 31 January 2019, 02:44

@josjones247

You might find this useful, it's a direct quote from @Tim_OVO

First off, this page outlines all the info on the Self Service Reward: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/self-service-reward

But if your query isn't answered, you can contact us for advice!

That goes with anything else: if you're not able to find the answer on the forum, OVO Help or you can't do the action yourself on MyOVO or the app, you can contact our Customer Care team without losing this reward.

Personally, although I think the self service reward is a good idea I disagree with the way in which it is implemented. The rules are quite unfair and counterproductive. As a customer if I'm finding errors on my bills which need urgent attention I'm not going to waste time posting in these forums. I need answers from OVO, not some random customer who might have a similar problem. Other customers cannot help with billing errors because there are too many variables between one persons account and another and when all said and done another customer cannot put those errors right, only OVO can do that.

Now if we could post a concern and receive a reply within the hour then maybe it would be acceptable but usually when you discover billing errors you don't want to be hanging around in the vein hope that someone from OVO might reply. More often than not I find that any questions asked have to be directed to someone else, i.e. the billing team so it seems sensible that you cut out the middle man (the forum) and speak to them directly.

I've contacted OVO by email and phone on numerous occasions about issues which cannot be solved in these forums and to penalise you for doing the same seems completely unreasonable.

Like many people I worry about losing my self service reward because it's the only reason I stayed with OVO, if I lost it I would find a cheaper provider in an instant. That's why whenever I do phone OVO I always ask if it will affect my SSR.

If you do click the link above you will find the following rules to receive your SSR, item one is of particular interest and which is why I say I disagree with the way in which it is implemented...

1. Manage your account online
Have a valid email address, receive all communications electronically, and manage your account through My OVO or the OVO Energy app, rather than via email or on the phone. Please call if you have an emergency though (this won’t affect your reward)!

What I find wrong with the above statement is that OVO offers no route to discuss billing errors through 'My OVO'. Sure we can manage some things through 'My OVO' but certainly not issues with billing. As I said above the forum is of no use for such problems which is why I think billing queries should not be penalised.
View original

15 replies

Hi Josjones247,

Do you have another named contact on your account, such as a partner? If you do and they emailed or called through to the contact center then this could have caused you to unfortunately miss out on it.

It maybe that the reward was added to your account before your most up to date statement was produced. This means that although the reward was added to your account it wasn't reflected on statements or your online account.
No it’s just my account. They said I had emailed them this month. The only email I sent them was after I got my bill on the 20th Jan to tell them the £15 hadn’t been added on to my bill. For them to say I haven’t been paid the £15 because I emailed them is ludicrous as I only emailed them AFTER I hadn’t received the £15. If they don’t give me it I’ve told them I’m making a complaint to the energy Ombudsman.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@josjones247

You might find this useful, it's a direct quote from @Tim_OVO

First off, this page outlines all the info on the Self Service Reward: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/self-service-reward

But if your query isn't answered, you can contact us for advice!

That goes with anything else: if you're not able to find the answer on the forum, OVO Help or you can't do the action yourself on MyOVO or the app, you can contact our Customer Care team without losing this reward.

Personally, although I think the self service reward is a good idea I disagree with the way in which it is implemented. The rules are quite unfair and counterproductive. As a customer if I'm finding errors on my bills which need urgent attention I'm not going to waste time posting in these forums. I need answers from OVO, not some random customer who might have a similar problem. Other customers cannot help with billing errors because there are too many variables between one persons account and another and when all said and done another customer cannot put those errors right, only OVO can do that.

Now if we could post a concern and receive a reply within the hour then maybe it would be acceptable but usually when you discover billing errors you don't want to be hanging around in the vein hope that someone from OVO might reply. More often than not I find that any questions asked have to be directed to someone else, i.e. the billing team so it seems sensible that you cut out the middle man (the forum) and speak to them directly.

I've contacted OVO by email and phone on numerous occasions about issues which cannot be solved in these forums and to penalise you for doing the same seems completely unreasonable.

Like many people I worry about losing my self service reward because it's the only reason I stayed with OVO, if I lost it I would find a cheaper provider in an instant. That's why whenever I do phone OVO I always ask if it will affect my SSR.

If you do click the link above you will find the following rules to receive your SSR, item one is of particular interest and which is why I say I disagree with the way in which it is implemented...

1. Manage your account online
Have a valid email address, receive all communications electronically, and manage your account through My OVO or the OVO Energy app, rather than via email or on the phone. Please call if you have an emergency though (this won’t affect your reward)!

What I find wrong with the above statement is that OVO offers no route to discuss billing errors through 'My OVO'. Sure we can manage some things through 'My OVO' but certainly not issues with billing. As I said above the forum is of no use for such problems which is why I think billing queries should not be penalised.
Thank your for your help and advice. I have emailed OVO to ask how they can possibly justify what they’ve done. When I get a response I will share this on the Forum
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@josjones247

It's worth a shot I guess, failing that you could always send a private message to one of the forum moderators though whether you will get an answer straight away I wouldn't like to say, they seem quite busy.
Hi, I didn't get the self service reward in January despite sticking to the rules, regular meter readings, no emails to Ovo or telephone calls and staying up with payments. The only 'contact' I have had with Ovo is to apply for the Warm Home Discount when reminded to by Ovo, which I did online, again I made no emails or calls. Can applying for this prevent me from getting the self service reward? It would be a shame if it did.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Michael
Userlevel 5
That's strange, @Vild is the Vind. So did you apply for the payment over the phone? If you did, then this would've resulted in losing the reward.

If you didn't do the application over the phone, then we'll need to look into this. Send the team an email to check hello@ovoenergy.com.

You wouldn't lose your Self Service Reward if you email about this.
Hi Eva,

It seems there isn't joined-up coherent thinking in the Ovo team on this. I emailed my concerns and received a reply from Deena which didn't answer any of my questions and contradicts the advice at the beginning of this thread....

Userlevel 2
l believed the statement by some OVO personnel that they would not use the new system to punish reasonable customers and thought that the real reason was the extra money it earned OVO at a small cost to customers, ( as I outlined on a different forum thread) but the above seems to show that they are punishing customers as well as earning more money.
Surely OVO should reverse this before they lose many many customers. It is very likely that the customers who have been most supportive of OVO in the past will be the first to leave.
I will certainly be seriously considering my options when my current deal ends.
There are now other companies who have similar objectives, lower prices and customer support similar to that which OVO used to have.
Userlevel 1
l believed the statement by some OVO personnel that they would not use the new system to punish reasonable customers and thought that the real reason was the extra money it earned OVO at a small cost to customers, ( as I outlined on a different forum thread) but the above seems to show that they are punishing customers as well as earning more money.
Surely OVO should reverse this before they lose many many customers. It is very likely that the customers who have been most supportive of OVO in the past will be the first to leave.
I will certainly be seriously considering my options when my current deal ends.
There are now other companies who have similar objectives, lower prices and customer support similar to that which OVO used to have.

Jim i agree with all you say, you could easily fall foul of the rules. The easy way is never to phone them or email them if at all possible. There are now many prices out there from reputable suppliers that are much better than OVO even taking into account the rewards and the interest on the positive balance in your account. I have already hit the switch button, as all I want are good prices with easy to follow rules. The one negative to switching is the possibility of losing the functionality of the smart meters which I will need to accept.
Userlevel 2
Badge
There are some issues which cannot be easily solved without direct contact with OVO. I’m on the V2G scheme and have technical issues which need a conversation not a post. Are we to be penalised in supporting OVO in the future development of its platform. I think not.
My contract ends in September this year and I will be negotiating a new deal. I ain’t gone to do that on a forum. It’s a conversation to be had, otherwise it’s a farewell to OVO.
The return on the V2G is working out at £14.25 per month - not enough to keep me with OVO if I lose the self service reward.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @ronnie, @JimTraynor, @falklandkid,

The purpose of the Self Service Reward is not to punish customers who get in touch with us. It's a discount applied as a thank you to customers for managing their account themselves online. There are certain things that you won't be able to do online, and sometimes customers may not be able to find the information they need on our website FAQ or our Forum. In these instances, it's perfectly okay to give us a call or get in touch via email without any risk of losing your reward. More information about this here: https://bit.ly/2pJ0s90

Remember, when you're renewing your contract, the best way to compare prices is to look at unit rates and standing charges directly. This will be the fixed price you pay per kWh and per day. Your Direct Debit however is flexible, and won't be changed immediately upon renewing. The suggested monthly payment is just to give you an idea of your monthly costs. We don't price match or undercut other suppliers, so we wouldn't negotiate on a renewal offer.

Cheers
Userlevel 1
Rules should be easy to follow without having to worry about loosing rewards for transgressing procedures which are not crystal clear. They will not affect me as I have now switched from OVO after 3 years with them. The rates OVO are offering are competitive, but the daily standing charges are excessive. WE will see what the future brings.
Userlevel 2
Nancy,
I read the info about self service reward that you recommended and find it absolutely ridiculous that you would suggest that removing the discount from people who break the rules is worse than changing over to a 'REWARD' system which makes it very difficult for customers to follow the rules and even penalises those who manage to earn the reward by paying it quarterly rather than monthly.
I do not think any reasonable person could believe that this is only a way to earn more money for OVO by:
  1. Retainng the money within OVO for longer.
  2. Making it very very difficult for good customers to obey the rules.
PLEASE PLEASE go back to the old system and punish those who break the rules.
Also explain clearly how customers can get answers to genuine account queries without breaking the rules making sure that all your moderators understand the answer which some clearly do not. This is unsurprising as the rules are (?deliberatly?) very vague.
If you do not remedy this silly change you WILL lose many good customers but you will probably keep the ones who caused the original problems.

Jim
Userlevel 5
You're still receiving the same reward amount whether we pay is monthly or quarterly, @JimTraynor.

We don't make it difficult to follow the rules, which is why there's only 3 -
  1. Manage your account online - if you can't do something on My OVO or find your answer on the forum or our help section, you won't be penalized for calling.
  2. You need to pay by Direct Debit on time and at the recommended amount - you'll only lose the reward if we've asked you to increase your Direct Debit and you don't.
  3. Submit meter readings at least once every three months unless you've got smart meters.
Thanks for sharing your feedback, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we like to hear how customers get on.

Don't forget the Self Service Reward (SSR) isn't compulsory, so you don't have to agree to it!