Solved

How can I work out my gas costs from readings?

• 26 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello fellow ovo's.
Would someone workout for me , how much my gas as cost me over a 24 hour period?.
The GasMeter reading was 18243 after 24 hours it read 18248 , therefore I used 5 kWh for that period of trial.
The price of the gas , is 2.55 p/KWH, I'm little confused on how to work it out for myself.
I thank you in advance for answering my question.
" I'm not very clever?, but I'm good at lifting weights" 😟
icon

Best answer by Transparent 1 March 2018, 15:31

Thanks @Robotrobo,

I'm going to show my workings -
not just so that others can follow it if they find this thread in the future, but because I want a good grade and a gold-star! 🆒

1. You've used 5 cubic metres. There's no volume conversion factor to take into account, because it's a metric meter. If the reading was in cubic feet, then we'd have to multiply by 2.83
  2. Apply a volume correction of 1.02264 to allow for changes in temperature and pressure. This figure is approved by Ofgem. 5 x 1.02264 = 5.1132
  3. Multiply by the calorific value. Domestic gas is a mixture of butane, propane and others, which give off different quantities of heat. This mix varies during the year depending on where the UK gets its gas. Currently the calorific value is 39.1 So 5.1132 x 39.1 = 199.92612
  4. Convert from Joules to kilowatt/hours, dividing by 3.6; 199.92612 / 3.6 = 55.535 KWh
  5. Cost at 2.55p each, 55.535 x 2.55/100 = £1.4161
  6. Add the day's standing charge of 27.4p; £1.4161 + 0.274 = £1.69
  7. Plus 5% VAT comes to £1.77

Now, this isn't particularly accurate because I'm pretty sure that the meter didn't exactly pass through 5 cubic-metres. It might have been 4.65 or 5.37 or whatever.

But you wanted to have estimate over a short period, so that's what I've calculated.

**Updated 16/07/2019**
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Robotrobo,

Well I can't see your Gas Meter, but I'd suggest that it's reading cubic-feet or cubic-meters rather than KWh

Also I can't fully answer your question because I don't know if you also have a Standing Charge to take into account.

To find this out, log in to your account by choosing either
Pay Monthly (Direct Debit) customers
or Pay As You Go customers

then click on My Profile from the menu on the left.
The costs of your units are given in the second section "My Plan", which you'll have to scroll down to view. That will tell you if there's an element of Standing Charge.

Returning to the Meter reading itself, your OVO Statements have a page "Explaining your Gas Statement" which shows the calculations they do to convert Cu.Ft or Cu.M to KWh. The line reading Volume conversion factor will tell me what units your gas meter is measuring.

Have a look at that first.

If it still doesn't make sense, ask a more specific question and I'll try to help some more.
Hi transparent.
My meter is a metric cubic meters and the standing charge is 27.40p per day, as I say I used 5 units of gas in a 24 hour period,
I have recently fitted a new gas fire & I am trying to work out how much it is useing over a short period, l hope I am making it easier for you to work out for me.
Thankyou
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks @Robotrobo,

I'm going to show my workings -
not just so that others can follow it if they find this thread in the future, but because I want a good grade and a gold-star! 🆒

1. You've used 5 cubic metres. There's no volume conversion factor to take into account, because it's a metric meter. If the reading was in cubic feet, then we'd have to multiply by 2.83
  2. Apply a volume correction of 1.02264 to allow for changes in temperature and pressure. This figure is approved by Ofgem. 5 x 1.02264 = 5.1132
  3. Multiply by the calorific value. Domestic gas is a mixture of butane, propane and others, which give off different quantities of heat. This mix varies during the year depending on where the UK gets its gas. Currently the calorific value is 39.1 So 5.1132 x 39.1 = 199.92612
  4. Convert from Joules to kilowatt/hours, dividing by 3.6; 199.92612 / 3.6 = 55.535 KWh
  5. Cost at 2.55p each, 55.535 x 2.55/100 = £1.4161
  6. Add the day's standing charge of 27.4p; £1.4161 + 0.274 = £1.69
  7. Plus 5% VAT comes to £1.77

Now, this isn't particularly accurate because I'm pretty sure that the meter didn't exactly pass through 5 cubic-metres. It might have been 4.65 or 5.37 or whatever.

But you wanted to have estimate over a short period, so that's what I've calculated.

**Updated 16/07/2019**
Userlevel 6
Badge
Gold star indeed @Transparent :D

@Robotrobo if you need to find your calorific value, it's on page 5 of your statement. This will vary from region to region and month to month, depending on the mix/quality of the gas purchased.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Nancy