Solved

High bill due to faulty boiler - can OVO help?

• 27 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi

I have been with OVO since I moved into my rental flat in June last year, I was on a fixed tariff of £39 and I have never been in debit, always been in credit between £30-50 until now. I have had problems with my heating in the flat ever since I moved in which "apparently" got fixed last year. However, when I came to switch the heating on in October (its on a thermostat) I discovered it wasn't working properly. The heating stays on regardless of whether the thermostat is on or not, I have come home to find it has been on all day! Last month my bill was £80! I rang my letting agents but it took over a month till someone came out which was Thursday just gone. He said that it is an older boiler designed to fire up every 30 minutes to get the heat to the taps quicker but because there is something wrong with the valve/plate the heat is being forced into the radiators instead so when I run the tap, shower etc the radiators come on or when it fires up etc. On Saturday I submitted my readings and today I got my statement which shows I am now £68 in debit 😥. I emailed my letting agents and complained and said I wanted reimbursing especially as I am still waiting for it to be fixed. They claim that the gas engineer said it won't be this causing the increase in my bills and they wont pay it BUT I am doing nothing different to last year? I work during the day. My thermostat has been off for the last month. This time last year I was using 404kwh now its 1114kwh. Has anyone had this problem? I don't understand if the radiators are coming on whenever they feel like it that it can't be using up gas?

Hazel
icon

Best answer by Transparent 30 November 2018, 11:00

Hi @Hazeyl30

I think the Consumer Right Act (2015) is going to help here.

Unlike the previous Sale of Goods Act, the CRA covers physical things (like boilers), services and contract terms. There is no wriggle-room for someone to escape its coverage!

The CRA is administered via the Citizens Advice Service, and you can read about it on their website here. You can phone their Advice Line on 03454 04 05 06

There is an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) stage which avoids most cases ever needing to make a claim through the Small Claims Division of the County Court.

You still need to gather the relevant information to assist your case. So @Nancy_OVO 's suggestion of getting a specific bill from OVO is a great idea. You can also refer back to the bill from the same months in the previous year.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Hazel,

I am sorry to hear your letting agency (Landlord) Are not complying.

This may help fight your battle with them - https://www.propertyinvestmentsuk.co.uk/your-rights-to-health-safety-a-guide-for-tenants-their-home/

You as the tenant are not liable to pay. But I am sure if you speak with OVO on the phone, they will have your details and would love to be able to assist you. Although it is a huge company, Humans do work there and are kind hearted.

See what they can do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Hazeyl30 ,

Sorry to hear about this too. Although we can't help with the boiler itself, we'd be happy to do anything we can to assist. If you get in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063, we may be able to create a bill for the specific period the boiler has been faulty. This might be helpful for any reimbursements you're seeking.

Nancy
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Hazeyl30

I think the Consumer Right Act (2015) is going to help here.

Unlike the previous Sale of Goods Act, the CRA covers physical things (like boilers), services and contract terms. There is no wriggle-room for someone to escape its coverage!

The CRA is administered via the Citizens Advice Service, and you can read about it on their website here. You can phone their Advice Line on 03454 04 05 06

There is an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) stage which avoids most cases ever needing to make a claim through the Small Claims Division of the County Court.

You still need to gather the relevant information to assist your case. So @Nancy_OVO 's suggestion of getting a specific bill from OVO is a great idea. You can also refer back to the bill from the same months in the previous year.