Solved

Has there been a delay with my final bill due to my Independent Gas Transporter?

Ovo says on one of its webpages: "Even if you’re completely up to date with your payments on the date you switch, we won’t be able to give you a closing statement for around 12 weeks." They then go on to say further: "There’s nothing we at OVO can do to speed these processes up. IGTs are relatively small companies and they don’t usually have the resources to move as quickly as the bigger networks." In an e-mail, they told me further that the time frame of 12 weeks in case of IGTs is an industry standard, however they didn't meet my request to provide me with any document confirming this. Ofgem hasn't confirmed this to me either. Moreover, I can't find a similar statement on any other energy provider's webpage. I therefore suspect this horrendeous delay in providing me with a closing statement is Ovo's making. Can anyone provide further insights into this?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 May 2017, 20:00

Ovo says on one of its webpages: "Even if you’re completely up to date with your payments on the date you switch, we won’t be able to give you a closing statement for around 12 weeks." They then go on to say further: "There’s nothing we at OVO can do to speed these processes up. IGTs are relatively small companies and they don’t usually have the resources to move as quickly as the bigger networks." In an e-mail, they told me further that the time frame of 12 weeks in case of IGTs is an industry standard, however they didn't meet my request to provide me with any document confirming this. Ofgem hasn't confirmed this to me either. Moreover, I can't find a similar statement on any other energy provider's webpage. I therefore suspect this horrendeous delay in providing me with a closing statement is Ovo's making. Can anyone provide further insights into this?

Hi there,

You’re the first person to post an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT) related topic - nice one! I’ve tweaked the title of this and added some tags, and other IGT queries can therefore be added to this topic to help other users out.

I’m sorry to hear about this delay with your final statement. IGT’s do have this 12 weeks window to sort out the official readings to be used, but they’re often a lot quicker! If we don't have what we need within 6 weeks, we can get in contact directly with the IGT to find out what the holdup is.

That’s the same 6 weeks that the national grid has, so we can't do better than that. If it has been more than 6 weeks since your supply switch date, send me a PM with your account number, name and DoB so I can look at this for you.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi there,

You’re the first person to post an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT) related topic - nice one! I’ve tweaked the title of this and added some tags, and other IGT queries can therefore be added to this topic to help other users out.

I’m sorry to hear about this delay with your final statement. IGT’s do have this 12 weeks window to sort out the official readings to be used, but they’re often a lot quicker! If we don't have what we need within 6 weeks, we can get in contact directly with the IGT to find out what the holdup is.

That’s the same 6 weeks that the national grid has, so we can't do better than that. If it has been more than 6 weeks since your supply switch date, send me a PM with your account number, name and DoB so I can look at this for you.

Thanks,
Tim
I've been waiting over 20 weeks to get a gas bill. If the delay is not by OVO I would like to know where it is so that I can contact either my previous supplier of the IGT concerned?
I've been waiting over 20 weeks to get a gas bill. If the delay is not by OVO I would like to know where it is so that I can contact either my previous supplier of the IGT concerned?

I had this issue as my gas is also supplied by a IGT but I only had to wait 8 weeks and Ovo pushed out a bill.
I had this issue as my gas is also supplied by a IGT but I only had to wait 8 weeks and Ovo pushed out a bill.

Thanks Stephen.
there are six IGTs and it maybe that we have different ones.
I suppose only OVO know the answer or maybe I have to ask OFGEM.
fradeb

Have you recently switched supplier or is this just Ovo's usual incompetence? Ovo refused to send me a bill and denied having meter readings until I produced copies if their emails showing they'd confirmed receipt. Even then they refused to admit to deleting the readings. Always keep any emails from them and take screenshots of any readings.

If you have changed supplier then there is some sort of middleman you are not allowed to talk to who decides what your final reading is. They issue a reading to the two suppliers who can then raise a dispute if they dont like the figure. No-one bothers to ask the customer why their reading may be a bit different this month, they just assume you have lied about it. So if you have, for example, been on holiday and your useage is down as a resullt you may wait ages while the 2 suppliers agree an entirely artificial figure.

Of course if you have made the mistake of having a smart meter it's probably going to have to come out and be replaced.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @fradeb and thanks for posting on the forum about this billing delay.

I've moved your post over to another, older topic on this same issue, just to keep all the advice in the same place.

Now, to business: 20 weeks is way too long for you to wait - I'm so sorry to hear this has taken so long. We can chase up the IGT after 6 weeks, but something tells me there's a complication that's causing a hold up. Either way, I'll send you a PM in a minute so I can get some details and check.

Thanks,
Tim
I have moved supplier to Bulb, but Ovo have not raised my final gas bill yet - in fact it looks like you haven't even taken a final SMART reading and are still billing me for gas and taking Direct Debit payments from my bank account.

Bulb have confirmed that they took over the supply on 5th December.

I don't want to pay you both! What is happening please?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have moved supplier to Bulb, but Ovo have not raised my final gas bill yet - in fact it looks like you haven't even taken a final SMART reading and are still billing me for gas and taking Direct Debit payments from my bank account.

Bulb have confirmed that they took over the supply on 5th December.

I don't want to pay you both! What is happening please?

It sounds like your gas might be supplied by and Independent Gas Transporter (IGT) @SueP- see above for what this means in terms of your final gas bill.

You can easily identify whether your gas is an IGT or not as your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) will start with the number 7.

If your gas isn’t an IGT, please contact the team on Facebook or Twitter so they can investigate this further for you.

Thanks,
Lucy