Solved

Charges in statement high and doesn't match costs on smart meter?

• 20 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Our smart meter says we’ve used just under £32 on gas and electric combined in the last three weeks, but our bill is for more than £200 on electricity alone for the last four weeks. Anyone else finding that their bill in no way resembles their meter, or their usage?! (We’ve always spent less than £30 a month on both fuels combined but a little more in the winter - so there’s no way in hell we’ve managed to blow over £200 in a month on electricity!)
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 24 January 2018, 12:20

Our smart meter says we’ve used just under £32 on gas and electric combined in the last three weeks, but our bill is for more than £200 on electricity alone for the last four weeks. Anyone else finding that their bill in no way resembles their meter, or their usage?! (We’ve always spent less than £30 a month on both fuels combined but a little more in the winter - so there’s no way in hell we’ve managed to blow over £200 in a month on electricity!)

Hi @TF1991

Check the billing period in that statement - it might not be for just 1 month.

Also bear in mind that the 'estimated bill' info on that smart meter isn't always accurate: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/in-home-display-ihd-estimated-bill-isn-t-resetting-is-this-right-152.

All the info you need will be on My OVO. That statement will reveal all: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TF1991

Check the billing period in that statement - it might not be for just 1 month.

Also bear in mind that the 'estimated bill' info on that smart meter isn't always accurate: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-smart-products-33/in-home-display-ihd-estimated-bill-isn-t-resetting-is-this-right-152.

All the info you need will be on My OVO. That statement will reveal all: http://ovoener.gy/myovo.

Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
The bill was definitely for a month, I looked at the dates. And we did the maths on the usage and the tariffs to check - our usage is just as low as it always has been. Got in touch via email and it seems that there had been an assumption that our meter wasn’t transmitting properly because the usage was as low as it has been, now that we’ve confirmed various details on both meters I believe the bill is being adjusted to actually match what the smart meter says! Thanks
Userlevel 1
I really can't understand the smart meter remote device as it doesn't match my online reading.
My online bill shows 22nd Jan statement £5.82 based on the correct reading as we were 7 weeks away, our last statement was £41.66 these both added together as the £5.82 was only a few days bringing the total for the period to £47.48 BUT the smart meter shows est bill £52.09 is this the estimated bill for the Next period?
I did not see it zero after the period ended.
The meter is communicating ok with ovo as its got a flashing WAN light - Note it wasn't flashing until an engineer came out last week and fixed it.
Can someone explain when an if the external smart meter resets to the correct estimated reading, it is communicating with the main smart wall meter as its giving usage.
Userlevel 6
Badge
I really can't understand the smart meter remote device as it doesn't match my online reading.
My online bill shows 22nd Jan statement £5.82 based on the correct reading as we were 7 weeks away, our last statement was £41.66 these both added together as the £5.82 was only a few days bringing the total for the period to £47.48 BUT the smart meter shows est bill £52.09 is this the estimated bill for the Next period?
I did not see it zero after the period ended.
The meter is communicating ok with ovo as its got a flashing WAN light - Note it wasn't flashing until an engineer came out last week and fixed it.
Can someone explain when an if the external smart meter resets to the correct estimated reading, it is communicating with the main smart wall meter as its giving usage.

Hey @g4jnw,

I've moved your post to this topic where you should be able to find answers to your questions.

Hope this helps,
Nancy