Solved

Am I really in debit?

Userlevel 1
I've been trying to change my direct debit payment but do not seem to be able to do so; I have to accept your upward change of more than £45 extra per month. Also I recently made an intermittent payment, to try to cancel my apparent debit, and following this and my regular direct debit payment, I thought I should actually be in credit by almost the same amount as you now say I owe. I am confused! Please can I contact you by telephone to try to sort this out? I cannot find a contact telephone number on the website. Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 8 June 2018, 11:51

Hi @Confuseddotcom,

Firstly, by writing to the Forum, you are contacting fellow users/customers, rather than OVO themselves. However, we're quite a friendly bunch with a wide range of experience, so we're often in a good position to help. :)

Secondly you can contact the OVO Care Team using telephone: 0330 303 5063
or email them at hello@ovoenergy.com

I prefer email because:

• It enables me to retain a written copy of what is said
  • OVO themselves can bounce your query to someone who is best suited to respond knowledgeably

Assessing Direct Debits is tricky but OVO must comply with guidelines laid down by the Energy Regulator, Ofgem. They are not permitted to live off the profits of holding their customers' accounts in credit!

This year is proving to be particularly difficult to get the DD estimates correct. There was a particularly cold spell in Feb/March and most customers weren't paying enough to cover the increase by the end of their contract term.

Moreover OVO are doing a lot of fresh programming of their in-house computer systems. The algorithms used to provide estimates needed realigning. There are three different estimates:
  1. Those used to offer a tariff to a prospective new customer
  2. Those used to calculate bills when meter readings aren't provided
  3. Those used to set Direct Debits

The closer you are to the end of your Contract when an adjustment needs to be made to the monthly DD, the more extreme it will appear. It has to cover the (relatively few) months in the future, and the larger number of previous months where the payments were insufficient.

Let us know here if you want any more clarifications.
Thanks.

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Confuseddotcom,

Firstly, by writing to the Forum, you are contacting fellow users/customers, rather than OVO themselves. However, we're quite a friendly bunch with a wide range of experience, so we're often in a good position to help. :)

Secondly you can contact the OVO Care Team using telephone: 0330 303 5063
or email them at hello@ovoenergy.com

I prefer email because:
  • It enables me to retain a written copy of what is said
  • OVO themselves can bounce your query to someone who is best suited to respond knowledgeably

Assessing Direct Debits is tricky but OVO must comply with guidelines laid down by the Energy Regulator, Ofgem. They are not permitted to live off the profits of holding their customers' accounts in credit!

This year is proving to be particularly difficult to get the DD estimates correct. There was a particularly cold spell in Feb/March and most customers weren't paying enough to cover the increase by the end of their contract term.

Moreover OVO are doing a lot of fresh programming of their in-house computer systems. The algorithms used to provide estimates needed realigning. There are three different estimates:
  1. Those used to offer a tariff to a prospective new customer
  2. Those used to calculate bills when meter readings aren't provided
  3. Those used to set Direct Debits

The closer you are to the end of your Contract when an adjustment needs to be made to the monthly DD, the more extreme it will appear. It has to cover the (relatively few) months in the future, and the larger number of previous months where the payments were insufficient.

Let us know here if you want any more clarifications.
Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Thank you very much for your help and information, Transparent. I'll be emailing Ovo on Monday morning. Best wishes.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close