Solved

Why doesn't the online account Direct Debit recommendation factor in my Vehicle to Grid (V2G) export payments?

Userlevel 6
Badge

So it seems that OVO still cannot calculate direct debit correctly for costumers on the V2G scheme, and they now want to increase mine to an insane amount. This problem has been going on for three years, but the price rise has made it worse. 

What can I do about that? Chat is not working, phones are busy (are they ever not busy?). So I guess I have to write a letter? Can I cancel the direct debit? 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 10 March 2022, 13:14

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I always used to be in credit, no bad thing with Ovo paying interest of course.

Since getting an EV (Nissan Leaf) our electricity usage has been much more variable, entirely dependent on how much we drive.

I'm sure there must be formulae used by  OVO to predict the appropriate level of DD, but the additional variability we bring to the equation is certainly mixing  things up. 

I'd rather pay a little more and remain in credit and earn interest, at least the money isn't lost to me.

Userlevel 1

You can alter you DD payment online if your in substantial credit
If i recall it even gives you an advisory amount

Dont think you can cancel but certainly reduce it

Userlevel 6
Badge

> You can alter you DD payment online if your in substantial credit.

“The only way is up” 

But I want to alter it down to something reasonable, and the computer says no. 

Userlevel 1

> You can alter you DD payment online if your in substantial credit.

“The only way is up” 

But I want to alter it down to something reasonable, and the computer says no. 

All i can say is i have done it quite recently    monthly payment DD was  £112  i lowered it to £98

Then as fixed price contract was coming to end month or two i lowered it to £5
Lowest reduction was set amount  by them

And that was under a month ago
Sure Jess or 186 will respond soon maybe there are conditions  attched or upcoming increases they have changed it

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Oh to have such low bills, or a working v2g.…

My forecast post cap rise takes me to a four figure monthly fee. I hope my solar is installed beforehand to soften the blow a bit...

Userlevel 1

Jequinlan 

That is mums account only home part time

Well its odd Jess or 189 have not replied but they are busy

Ditto re solar panels  my personal account is with Eon mine has gone from £420 quarterly

to £250 monthly  that is only electric,  my heating is biodiesel and i pay peanuts for that at mo April will be bad come Oct yikes i dont envy you mine looks a walk in park compared to that do  you have gas or heat pump ?

We get power cuts in winter when its stormy i have a back up generator
It runs on biodiesel its that crazy i can generate my own for less seriously considering going off grid wind turbine large battery bank solar the lot.

I trade the indices  markets gold silver oil and gas ect and price rises are crazy it really is not down to supply companies
Gov have stitched up energy suppliers if they dont give punters more money without loans this will end in tears That Sunak is clueless makes you wonder if they want to bankrupt all suppliers

October cap rise aint looking good

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I don’t see 189 Blastoise on this forum! If there were 189 of me, there’d be chaos! XD

Sorry for the wait. I help out at a charity on Wednesdays, so that means Wednesday is my official “day off” from the forum for the most part. I still jump on if I see a need to though.

Please do not cancel the Direct Debit payments though, especially on a Fixed Rate deal, if you randomly do that without telling OVO, this does technically break the terms of the contract. If you’re on Simpler Energy though, you can discuss switching payment method with the Support Team and they’ll discuss your options.

Let me ask @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO to stop by on the other points though. I’m not much of an expert on the V2G stuff and I hope you can understand why I can’t really help out much in that area.

Userlevel 7

So it seems that OVO still cannot calculate direct debit correctly for costumers on the V2G scheme, and they now want to increase mine to an insane amount. This problem has been going on for three years, but the price rise has made it worse. 

What can I do about that? Chat is not working, phones are busy (are they ever not busy?). So I guess I have to write a letter? Can I cancel the direct debit? 

Sorry to hear that your V2G export payments aren’t reflected in your Direct Debit calculations, @MrPuds.

Unfortunately as the export payments are added as a credit each month (and may vary month to month) these aren’t factored when we’re working out the Direct Debit amount required to leave you with a clear balance at the end of your plan. In this case we’d recommend contacting our Support Team (quickest way is via the Live Chat option here) to discuss placing a pause on the usual Direct Debit review process.

The Support Team are also able to cancel your Direct Debit and switch you onto our Simpler Energy On Demand plan if you’d prefer to manage your payments manually.

I hope this helps decide the best option for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Sorry to hear that your V2G export payments aren’t reflected in your Direct Debit calculations, @MrPuds.

I appreciate that, but the problem remains. Support is unwilling to even acknowledge the problem. I will keep you updated, but on my grapevine I have not heard of anybody else being able to solve this problem. Well, there is a first for everything… 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Update: I should have listened to the advice I got. Everything I tried was unsuccessful. The V2G support said they would adjust the direct debit down, but that would only work for 3 months. Well, in actual fact, they failed to adjust it down. Support was unsympathetic and fobbed me off with rising prices. The complaint remains unanswered after 2 weeks. I know they have 8 weeks to answer, but I am not sure I will stay around that long. 

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear the promised Direct Debit pause failed to happen, @MrPuds.

As you mention you’re yet to receive a response to your complaint, I’ll be requesting some account details via PM so we can chase this up for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Thanks, but I have decided to leave. Of course, that has also turned into a massive farce, with both electricity providers claiming that the other prevented the switch from going ahead, but that is a topic for another post. The gas switch did work, but OVO is still charging me the same DD as for both fuels. Go figure. 

Just so that you know: your DD policy (our way or highway) is losing you customers. 

Badge +1

yes found same thing myself 12months ago their calculation routine doesn't work for exporters when they waned to up monthly DD.  But im leaving alone let the credit go up and get the 4% interest payment and when the cap comes into play with my account i shouldnt notice monthly DD change for a year plus and hopefully by then come down again!!! I HOPE !!!

Userlevel 6
Badge

Update: OVO still refuse to engage with the DD issue. They completely ignored my formal complaint. The case is with the ombudsman now, and OVO failed to respond within the given 2 weeks. I am now waiting for a ruling. True to form, I expect them to ignore that, too. 

Userlevel 7

I’m really sorry to hear that we weren’t able to resolve your complaint internally, @MrPuds.

Just to clarify, now the issue has been referred to the energy ombudsman we’ll be unable to comment any further. The ombudsman will carry out an independent review and outline the necessary actions for us to take. We do of course uphold and accept any decisions made by this independent review process and hope this reaches the outcome you’re hoping for.

Also just to reiterate the primary focus of this online community is a space for offering advice and support to your fellow OVO members. We appreciate the frustration caused by experience you’ve faced but would kindly ask that your posts here avoid speculation and adhere to our Community Guidelines. Whilst we try to take a light-touch approach to moderation repeated breaches of these guidelines will see your comments removed.

I hope you understand and consider this in future contributions.

Why do I get emails regarding increasing my Direct debit each month, and this month  each week, demanding to increase my direct debit, where the formula to calculate the DD  doesn't take into account my OVO drive discount of £200 per month. This has continued since starting 6 months ago. Surely IT can fix this... Or switch off the DD calculator if customer in credit balance....

Badge +1

this forum is answered mainly by volunteer members.

If you want a proper answer from OVO make a formal complaint.

Userlevel 5

Hey @Carolyne,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

That does seem to be an oversight. But there are a few solutions to this issue, I'd advise contacting  Support who should be able to put you on a direct debit review suspension.

This means we won’t review or increase your direct debit. The suspensions usually last 3 months, but they may be able to extend this to 6. 

Hope this helps.