Tutorial

Using an air source heat pump (ASHP) to reduce your carbon footprint - guide

Using an air source heat pump (ASHP) to reduce your carbon footprint - guide

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

An interesting plug for My Home Farm, @mrmhf ! :sunglasses:

So long as it’s for a non-commercial venture, I guess the Moderators will let it pass.

I’m unsurprised that you’ve effectively moved to a mixed-fuel system… especially in the old farmhouse you’re living in. What we still lack is a hybrid Heat pump where the secondary fuel doesn’t add CO2 to the atmosphere.

Two quick observations:

1: 8°C is quite a high temperature, below which you deem your ASHP too inefficient.

2: Whyever use an ASHP when you have sufficient land (and water) in which to lay Ground Source Heat Pump collector-coils? You’d achieve 25-30% greater heat output for the same amount of mains-power fed in.

I’ve based our 8C on efficiency and price of electricity. We lose significant efficiency at 3C (especially when it’s humid and leads to loads of defrost cycles), but gave ourselves the 5C “buffer” (to 8C) to compensate for electricity at 22p/kWh.

Userlevel 7

I think you should all consider coming along next Tuesday - who’s free at 5pm on the 2nd? 

You can hear from 3 heat pump guest speakers, sharing their experience and learnings and answering questions:

@Transparent  @sylm_2000 @nealmurphy @Roy_and_Becky @knight - it would be great to see you there!