Power Move trial: How are you getting on?

• 16 November 2022
  • 32 replies

Just wondered how everyone who has signed up to the PowerMove trial is getting on?

Just had our mid month statement and we are at 24% electricity usuage during the times of 4-7pm.  Clearly some way off the 12.5% target.  We have moved dishwasher, tumble dryer and washing machine usage outside of these times (bar a couple of lapses!).  Still need to eat during these times so suspect the air fryer is pulling us in the wrong direction! How are others getting on??

32 replies

Just wondered how everyone who has signed up to the PowerMove trial is getting on?

Just had our mid month statement and we are at 24% electricity usuage during the times of 4-7pm.  Clearly some way off the 12.5% target.  We have moved dishwasher, tumble dryer and washing machine usage outside of these times (bar a couple of lapses!).  Still need to eat during these times so suspect the air fryer is pulling us in the wrong direction! How are others getting on??

Hi, we've just signed up too so becoming very aware of electricity used between 4-7pm. We've also had our mid month forecast and currently stand at 16.6% so pleased it's going in the right direction. Like you, still have a fair way to go to get the 'below 12.5%' needed to be awarded £20. I'm trying out, instead of cooking a full on evening meal during these times (we have an induction cooker),using my slow cooker more and making sure I've finished using it by 4pm and either having an earlier meal or reheating in the microwave, which I'm hoping will save energy. There was also a helpful tip on OVO to fully recharge phones, iPads, etc before 4pm. I'm quietly confident I can hit their target this month. Obviously Christmas will be a completely different ball game!! 😉 Good luck with your target too 😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

There is a Power move group guys in case you weren’t aware. It sounds like there’s a few there who need some tips and encouragement 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/groups/power-move-trial-156

Reply to power mover 77

We just had ours too but with average of 6.39% energy use much to our surprise & relief. 

We have changed our habits charging phones etc before 4 or after 7. Likewise we would normally eat during this time so we’ve been using slow cooker or preparing dishes before 4pm ready to put in oven or on gas hob at 7pm. Mostly we’ve had the heating off but have had it on prior to 4 a few times. Had already tried to make the house as draught proof as poss with heavy curtains at front & back doors. We have venetian blinds at windows so close those with the slats going up to circulate the warm air and close the bedroom doors to retain heat. 
We use the time as a quiet / down time to read, catch up on emails or occasionally go shopping or out for a walk. A walk is good as it can also warm you up, but the other day we got caught in heavy rain and got soaked. 
We’re quite lucky both being retired now, so can change how we use time (and energy) across the day more than would have been practical when we were working.

Good luck with hitting the target.

It would be nice to be able to see what percentage we are at on the scheme daily just getting a half way result is not that helpfull plus I have moved weekend usage to weekday just to increase out of 4-7 limit to increase outside consumption % which also reduces target %

@cioldfeet you can have a go at working out daily consumption yourself by login onto your account and adding up kwh hours consumed between 4-7pm and dividing by daily total. Yes, it's not convenient to do this everyday but if you wanted to compare usage over two days it's highly do-able. Just wondering what weekend usage have you been able to move into the week? That's an interesting idea 💡! 

Running on 2 threads with this calculation gripe as we have a smart meter it should be upgraded to show exact percentage for month you can loose by half a percent.

So far moved laundry day and  batch cooking meals which were a weekend task

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Why are you moving those off the weekend?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You can download your smart meter data to Excel through the Bright app if your meter is talking to the Data Communication Company, and then carry out the calculations in Excel.

weekends are not  included in the calculations so increasing power usage during  Mon- Fri but outside 4-7 makes 7to4 percentage higher thus 4-7 lower

You can download your smart meter data to Excel through the Bright app if your meter is talking to the Data Communication Company, and then carry out the calculations in Excel.

More details please I have looked at bright app and it appears to be for personal training

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

More details please I have looked at bright app and it appears to be for personal training

iOS version here https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bright/id1369989022

Userlevel 4
Badge

I'm not part of the OVO trial since I wasn't invited, but I have been offered the chance to make some cash back through Loop and Hugo by reducing my evening electricity consumption from my normal average.

Unfortunately this seems to be having a rather negative effect on our behaviour. We had been shifting the dishwasher to the wee small hours, without incentive, just because it seemed the right thing to do. But now, until we get the text to ask us to shift, we are actively cramming as much electricity use into the evening as we can to increase our average in order to make savings easier to come by.

How self defeating is that? Is that really what the National Grid wants? 

Thanks BP

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I'm not part of the OVO trial since I wasn't invited, but I have been offered the chance to make some cash back through Loop and Hugo by reducing my evening electricity consumption from my normal average.

Unfortunately this seems to be having a rather negative effect on our behaviour. We had been shifting the dishwasher to the wee small hours, without incentive, just because it seemed the right thing to do. But now, until we get the text to ask us to shift, we are actively cramming as much electricity use into the evening as we can to increase our average in order to make savings easier to come by.

How self defeating is that? Is that really what the National Grid wants? 

I would just take care as to what is taken as ‘normal’ use (which is what the reduction is compared to). I doubt that a week or so of cramming will do much 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@BPLightlog I was making a philosophical point about the concept.

The only thing we have been shifting is the dishwasher. Now, instead of shifting it to overnight we're back to purposely and very deliberately putting it on in the evening, once full. It just seems a bit daft that currently we are incentivised not to shift, just so that we might earn a bit of cash down the line when we're asked to. 

Repeat that across the country and it seems the exact opposite of what they're aiming for.

Wouldn't it be better if they asked people to shift, not for money, but for the common good?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@BPLightlog I was making a philosophical point about the concept.

I understand, it’s just that the normal consumption, as far as I understand, is taken from a raft of historical data or an average of typical users and so cramming in a short few weeks will not make enough of a difference. 

Wouldn't it be better if they asked people to shift, not for money, but for the common good?

Yes but I would guess that an altruistic approach would not get enough support 

Badge

Hi there new to this forum.  Had the update email saying we were at 19.5 %  ….. 7% to go.  No longer use the oven/washing machine/tumble dryer/dishwasher/boiler during 4-7pm.  we have moved to using the slow cooker and gas hob.  All lights have energy saving bulbs and are mostly switched off, so apart from sitting in the dark playing I-Spy not sure what else to do?  any thoughts??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Maybe try firing up more stuff outside of the 4pm-7pm slot? Remember the entire day is part of the calculations so the more you can shift outside of those hours, the closer you’ll get to the target.

Badge

Thanks for your thoughts, but am trying to bring down the overall usage/cost.  having just had solar panels fitted so firing up extra outside of the 4-7pm seems a bit counter productive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s fair.

I’m not on the trial myself, but I’m on this journey with all of you anyway and I’ve been making efforts to try and replicate what you’re all doing - this helps me to help you more easily.

My usage patterns are extremely low however, which means I can’t be officially on the trial since there’s basically nothing for me to switch off.

Hi, just wondering when you hear from Ovo whether you met the criteria for the reward? Has anyone got an end of month Power move email or do they just credit (or not) the £20 refund? I was just on track for the first half of the month but not sure if I managed to keep it up!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi, just wondering when you hear from Ovo whether you met the criteria for the reward? Has anyone got an end of month Power move email or do they just credit (or not) the £20 refund? I was just on track for the first half of the month but not sure if I managed to keep it up!

There is a note on this in the Power Move group https://forum.ovoenergy.com/groups/power-move-trial-156

Thanks, I see this is private, I've requested to join but not heard back. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks, I see this is private, I've requested to join but not heard back. 

You should do soon .. it’s said that those on the trial should hear today 

Just got the email saying I managed it!