Solved

Octopus ‘Intelligent’ or move to Ovo

• 17 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Is there anyone kind enough to tell me whether they would stay with Octopus ‘Intelligent’ or move to Ovo please?

• I drive a Telsa Model 3 RWD (single motor)
  • I intend to charge via a Type 2 cable because a home charging unit cost would be uneconomical to install 
  • I drive approximately 5,000 miles pa
  • I am presently with Octopus Energy
  • I use 4600 kWh of electricity and 10,000 kWh gas.

I have a dilemma. Octopus intelligent tariff allows me to charge at 7.5p per kWh (23.30 - 0530) but the daytime rate is 40.10p per kWh.  It allows me to charge at a rate of 8 miles per hour which would give me 48 miles maximum.  As I don’t travel 48 miles every day, there will come a time when I might only have to charge once a week.

Ovo is an option for me.  From what I have read, Ovo is 33p per kWh (similar to Octopus) but the game changer is  “Add Charge Anytime to your plan for free and drive from just 3p a mile1 when you smart charge your EV from your home charging point.

I presume by ‘home charging point’ they mean Type 2 charging cable.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 17 May 2023, 10:32

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is there anyone kind enough to tell me whether they would stay with Octopus ‘Intelligent’ or move to Ovo please?

• I drive a Telsa Model 3 RWD (single motor)
  • I intend to charge via a Type 2 cable because a home charging unit cost would be uneconomical to install 
  • I drive approximately 5,000 miles pa
  • I am presently with Octopus Energy
  • I use 4600 kWh of electricity and 10,000 kWh gas.

I have a dilemma. Octopus intelligent tariff allows me to charge at 7.5p per kWh (23.30 - 0530) but the daytime rate is 40.10p per kWh.  It allows me to charge at a rate of 8 miles per hour which would give me 48 miles maximum.  As I don’t travel 48 miles every day, there will come a time when I might only have to charge once a week.

Ovo is an option for me.  From what I have read, Ovo is 33p per kWh (similar to Octopus) but the game changer is  “Add Charge Anytime to your plan for free and drive from just 3p a mile1 when you smart charge your EV from your home charging point.

I presume by ‘home charging point’ they mean Type 2 charging cable.

Do you mean you are basically plugging your type 2 cable into the equivalent of a normal domestic 3 pin socket? 

I apologise if if I didnt make my intentions clear.  Yes, I am basically plugging my type 2 cable into the equivalent of a normal domestic 3 pin socket in the garage.  An electrician has installed a 3 pin metal casing and checked the consumer unit to comply with the regulations.

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO: As of the 1st November 2023, Charge Anytime now offers  7p per kWh for smart charging. See this eligibility list to check if you have an eligible smart charger OR vehicle, that can be used with Charge Anytime via ‘Direct to vehicle’ with any smart charger. 

I apologise if if I didnt make my intentions clear.  Yes, I am basically plugging my type 2 cable into the equivalent of a normal domestic 3 pin socket in the garage.  An electrician has installed a 3 pin metal casing and checked the consumer unit to comply with the regulations.

Thank you 

@Tesla Toff

OVO would say officially they don't support "granny charging" setups as the clever software behind the tariff assumes it will be able to charge the car quicker.

We have seen at least one person post about using a granny charger successfully with a hybrid golf, but obviously OVO can't provide any reassurance or recommend this. 

This is not an official response obviously... you may find it works OK as you do so little charging. 

Are there any similar comments from Octopus about their tariff? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Alongside the key points from @Jeffus above, one of the key things to think about @Tesla Toff is the charging time. Because ‘Anytime’ uses greener slots of power to charge your vehicle, it may struggle to charge by the time you need it. I realise that you mention the low usage but it could come to the point of needing power and having to use the boost function which doesn’t use the low cost tariff. 

Also, there will probably be a delay to your use of ‘Anytime’ as they will need a fully functioning smart meter with half hourly readings which can take a few weeks to connect after a switch.

@BPLightlog and @Jeffus 

Thank you both for your contributions.  I would imagine that both Octopus and Ovo would prefer that you spend £1,200 to have a wall charger as opposed to a ‘granny charger’, however, I am going to stay positive and hope my method will work. 

My LFP battery likes to be kept at 100%.  Let’s assume that I drive 5 miles to Tesla, use a Supercharger for 30p per kWh to fully charge the battery.  I then travel 30 miles over the next 3 days not needing to worry about charging the battery.  Does it really matter that the car sits on my drive waiting for Ovo to pour electricity into my battery?  If I find myself in an emergency situation needing to drive 200 miles, like I have already aluded to, I just drive 5 miles to Tesla and Supercharge it at 30p per kWh whilst I enjoy a free latte from Waitrose!  So far, it has only cost me £100 (qualified electrician) to update my garage with a metal clad socket and an outside weatherproof box so its a case of ‘suck it and see’ (the first electrician quoted me £358)

Finally, I am aware that it can take 4 to 6 weeks for activation to their ‘Charge Anytime’ to connect.  Ovo are not stupid … delaying it 4 to 6 weeks means its EV customrer is probably going to charge his EV at 33p per kWh as opposed to 10p

I appreciate both of your contributions.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It would be interesting to hear how you get on @Tesla Toff . Incidentally, the time for the meters to sync is defined by the data control centre (DCC) and not individual suppliers

@BPLightlog I will let you know.  I’ve changed supplier from Octopus to Ovo so will let you know how I get on in the next few months.  Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ive just done some calcs based on my actual last year usage for home & car (2000 car 1000 Home) (I don't have a compatible car or charger)

these are savings against OvO variable in my area West Yorkshire as of this morning (Other Areas will be different) 

OVO Drive would save me £204 but would cost me £1000 to get a new charger 

Octopus would save me £165 but would cost me £1000 to get a new charger

British Gas would save me £132 but I would need a British gas Smart meter. No charge

EDF would save me £74

I have assumed that all my car charges would be done at the cheep rates for ease of calculation