Solved

My EV hasn't charged via Ohme charger since I started my OVO Drive +Anytime plan?

Badge +1
  • Carbon Cutter****
  • 9 replies

Hi. I subscribed to OVO drive + anytime three days ago. All appears to be active and linked to my Ohme home pro charger but, even though the car is plugged in and schedules set, my car hasn’t charged since the activation. The Ohme app seems very pleased to tell me I’ve saved £32.00 though. I’ve just tied overriding the Ohme app to switch to max charging and left it like that for an hour or so but the car app is still saying charging error, no power. I’d be grateful for any help please.

icon

Best answer by Bonzo 1 July 2022, 12:59

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Bonzo !

I don’t think Drive + Anytime would have caused this issue, but there’s definitely stuff we can try here. Let’s start with the easy one.

Have you tried turning it ALL off and back on again? Try unplugging your EV and fully kill the power to the charger safely. Then wait for say, half an hour and power back up before plugging in the EV again.

Also, some EVs won’t charge if the battery is already above a certain level. How much juice has yours got when you try to charge, and what’s the make and model of it?

Badge +1

Hmm, that’s part of the issue. I’m away on holiday so can’t be unplugging and switching off stuff. I really need the car charged when we get back though. Ohme customer service replied and said it was because I’d added my tariff info incorrectly but I can’t see that this is the issue. I’ve had the Ohme charger set to max charging for over an hour now but the car is still reporting “charge error, no power”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. Let me ask @Jess_OVO as well, just in case I’m missing something.

There’s a few other members who know a ton about EV's here (more than I do!), so let me see if @juliamc is around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Bonzo I have an Ohme cable but an EV without schedules or the ability to send state of charge to the Ohme app, and also not on Drive+Anytime, so I probably can’t be that much help.

I was wondering if the car schedules and Ohme schedules were fighting each other. You’ve set the Ohme to max charging, but if you have any schedules set in the car can you also clear these so that it would want to charge immediately?

Is the car app and Ohme app reporting the same state of charge?

I assume if the charger had tripped then you wouldn’t be able to connect to it on the app, so hopefully that rules that out.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Bonzo and welcome to the OVO online community,

So nice to see some fellow OVO EV members helping trouble-shoot the charging issues. Sounds like this might be one to flag to the Smart Home team to double-check your new Anytime tariff isn’t affecting things. You can reach the team by emailing smarthome@ovoenergy.com.

Let us know how you get on and how you find your new Anytime plan once things are back on track. This will be so helpful to others considering this plan in future!

Badge +1

Hi. I’m still no further forward here as I’ve been away on holiday. The charger hasn’t tripped and is still active but won’t send any charge to the car since I signed up with OVO Drive + Anytime. The car says “charging error - No power”, even if I override all schedules. Ohme customer support say the car is rejecting the charge, however, it charges fine with the granny charger. I’ll need to call the OVO smart home team tomorrow as the issue must lay with OVO. Charger worked fine until I signed up to anytime.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear the charging issues are still ongoing, @Bonzo.

Have you contacted the team on smarthome@ovoenergy.com yet?

Badge +1

I emailed them yesterday and got a reply this morning to say they were looking into it but I need to get this sorted quickly. I am on hold to customer service, have been for 20 minutes. Is there a direct line to the smart home team?

Userlevel 7

Sorry for the delay, @Bonzo.

The best contact to the Smart Home team is via email. Did you hear back yet?

Badge +1

Well, I’m not any further forward. I’m still getting no power from the Ohme charger to the car. I spoke to the OVO smart home team who have escalated the issue to their “Platforms team” and had a conversation with the Ohme technical team who said they would get back to me with an update by the end of today. Neither of them did. Now having to use the granny charger despite having a £1000 Supposedly “smart” one attached to the wall. Have to say I’m not overly impressed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'd be interested to see what the issue is. Sorry it's taking a long time to resolve.

Any chance you can try the charger with a different car to completely rule that out?

Badge +1

I don’t know anyone else local with an EV but my car charges with the granny charger fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What make of car is it?

Long shot but I'm wondering if it's anything to do with interference from wi-fi extenders or smart hubs.

Badge +1

It’s a Tesla M3. All was working fine until I swapped onto the OVO drive tariff. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks. I don't think the wi-fi issue affects Teslas. I know conflicting schedules between Tesla and Ohme can be an issue on a different Tesla tariff, but if you've cleared the schedules it can't be that, so it's looking like something with the specific tariff set up between Anytime and Ohme.

Userlevel 7

I'm chasing up those missed calls, @Bonzo - sorry to hear about those and this issue. 

If I need some account info from you I’ll send you a private message. 

FYI I’ve moved this topic into the ‘my smart home’ category as it might make it easier to find for other Ohme charger owners.

Thanks,
Tim

Badge +1

So, OVO and Ohme have been working on this issue together and found the account to all be set up correctly and are now targeting a hardware issue with the charger. A replacement has been ordered and arrangements will need to be made to have it replaced. If that doesn’t work, they will issue a refund for the charger. I’m concerned that the cooling off period for my signing up to OVO drive ends tomorrow and, in the event that the replacement charger doesn’t fix the issue I’ll be stuck on this tariff without the Anytime add on which is not what I wanted. What a predicament. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the update, @Bonzo. Hopefully Ohme are able to sort that charger out quickly for you!

Should the worst happen and a refund is needed, making OVO Drive +Anytime no longer appropriate, you’d be able to use this topic thread, and my comment here, as justification to avoid any termination fees for choosing a plan that suits your needs. I’d make sure that happens in your case. 

Tim

Badge +1

Just a quick update on this. I’ve received a replacement charger from Ohme but, unfortunately, the next available date for installation isn’t until 22nd July!

In the meantime, Ohme have continued to try to troubleshoot the issue and today asked for me to disconnect the CT clamp that monitors the household load. Low and behold, the charger started charging again when I selected boost charge, which it wouldn’t do before. So, it currently seems that the issue is with the CT clamp but I have to have it in place as I only have a 60a main fuse and the Ohme will only charge at 16a with the clamp disconnected and load monitoring enabled. 
We have kept the installation date for the new charger but will first try just replacing the clamp. I’ve also requested UK power networks to replace my 60a fuse with something bigger which will negate the need for the CT clamp and load monitoring.

Ill keep this post updated.

Badge +1

So, I had the charger replaced on 2nd September and everything is now working as it should. Well, almost everything but I’ll come back to that in a minute. It appears the issue was caused because I have solar panels installed and the CT clamp was attached to a cable which was connected to the panels so when I was generating more electricity than I was using and current was going in a different direction the clamp registered a fault and restricted the charger to 16a.

The only issue I have now is that I’ve just realised that I haven’t registered anytime car charging usage since the installation of the new charger and subsequently no anytime credits! It didn’t occur to me that I’d need to register the replacement charger with OVO even though it seems pretty obvious now. I’ll need to call OVO on Monday and explain, change charger details and hopefully have my account updated and credited with what I used last month. I really can’t afford to have paid full price for my car charging for a whole month 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Glad your Ohme is now working @Bonzo 

When they do work they are really good!

Seems like a reasonable request to me to have your account updated based on your car charging use.