Solved

MELCloud linked to Mitsubishi Ecodan air source heat pump lost internet connection- Won't re-connect?

• 26 November 2022
  • 46 replies

Badge

I have MELCloud linked to my Mitubishi Ecodan air source heat pump.
Recently I lost the internet connection and cannot establish a reconnection.
My connection is via Access mode as my router does not have a WPS button.
I am able to complete the process for reconnection correctly but it does not connect.
I have previously been successful and there are no changes to my home network settings.
I am wondering if;
the MELCoud server is down?
or if I have a non standard password to my home wifi network - it includes a ’ and has a space in it?
Any help with reconnecting to the internet would be useful.

icon

Best answer by Hillsides 29 November 2022, 00:43

View original

46 replies

Badge +2

Hello everyone,

I’ve had a new Mitsubishi Ecodan air source heat pump installed very recently.

I’ve been looking through the MELCloud app and noticed that if I run the Energy Usage report its not showing any charts - just blank where the charts should be.

I’m a software dev, and was able to look at the request it’s making to get the data and I can see that the response has zero/null values for everything - so it appears that the data is not there as opposed to some bug in the app.

Is this normal for a new install - maybe it has to run for a while before collecting energy data, or does it perhaps indicate something not working on the ASHP?

Many thanks for any help,

Badge +2

I’ll answer my own question - I just spotted that it says:

We cannot provide a report on the energy usage of this system, as it does not have an energy consumption meter fitted. Please speak to your installation engineer if you would like to add an energy meter to this device.

Now to find out why it hasn’t been fitted...

Userlevel 7

Nice post, @lycandroid and nice spot here:

We cannot provide a report on the energy usage of this system, as it does not have an energy consumption meter fitted. Please speak to your installation engineer if you would like to add an energy meter to this device.

I’ll check to see if @James_N knows about about MELCloud app

Badge +2

@Tim_OVO Thanks

What I’ve since discovered is that the Mitsubishi Ecodan PUZ-WM85VAA that’s been installed does not come with the energy monitors.  It comes with what is called “Free inbuilt energy monitoring” but I’m yet to discover exactly what that gives me.

What I apparently need is the EMP2 or EMP3-M energy module packs as mentioned in https://library.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/pdf/download_full/3561.  Without these (or something similar) I don’t understand how I could know what COP I’m achieving.

I’m currently trying to speak to the installers about it, but not much luck as yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @TonyShep ,

You shouldn’t use WPS anyway as it’s ridiculously inherently insecure. Your router manufacturer is actually doing you a favour by not supporting it at all.

My suspicion is that the server went down for a while.

Non-standard characters in passwords are fine. My UniFi kit accepted ’ in a password for a test Wi-Fi network and I was able to get a client to associate to that testing SSID no problem. Same with having a space in the password and even both at once. It just works.

What router do you use? It may help me figure this out if you can tell me the exact manufacturer and model of your router.

This troubleshooting may also help you.

https://library.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/pdf/book/MAC-567IF-E_Quick_Set_Up_Guide#page-1-2

Also, may I please bring some security notices to your attention. I strongly recommend you review them and consider whether you need to take action. You’ll find them at the link below once you choose the UK.

https://www.melcloud.com/Support

Do not try to use WPS to avoid any of those issues. While you might dodge a bullet with one of them, you’ll just open yet another can of worms that’s even more dangerous and expose your network to even more nasty stuff.

Badge

Thank you @Blastoise186 ,

My router is an airRouter 802.11n Wireless Router. I live in a rural area and use a local enterprise wireless connection. Standard internet connections via phone lines just don’t work. The quality of the landline infrastructure is one of the oldest in the country and has a very low bandwidth.

Thanks for the other info.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh nice. A Ubiquiti AirRouter! :)

It sounds like an older model though. Resources for it aren’t easy to find. You may want to be aware that it’s considered Vintage now under Ubiquiti’s policy. https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001268521-Ubiquiti-s-Vintage-and-Obsolete-Products

It’ll still get security updates and critical fixes, but nothing else. Your provider may need to upgrade your router to a newer model like the Ubiquiti UISP airCube in the future.

I know Ubiquiti stuff really well as my entire network setup is Ubiquiti UniFi (specifically UniFi Network) and I previously managed the IT at a charity where I deployed UniFi Network and UniFi Protect.

There’s nothing you can do in an AirRouter that I can think of that’d brick a MELCloud device and there’s been no recent updates to UISP (the thing that manages your AirRouter) or any product firmware that would cause it either. I’d know if there was because I monitor basically all of the release notes.

Try shutting down the MELCloud device for 30 minutes and then fire it back up. Sometimes that helps.

Badge

Thanks @Blastoise186 , that all sounds quite reassuring. I will try as you suggest.

The same thing happened several months ago and my wireless internet provider couldn’t find anything at their end to suggest what was going wrong.

I think in the end it just started working again.

My concern this time is that I am going away for a while and wanted to remotely monitor my air source heat pump was still working.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. :)

When it comes to ISP Routers, Ubiquiti kit is literally the best you can get by literally miles. Chances are the dish on your roof is also Ubiquiti AirFiber as well, amazing stuff. But that’s a story for some other time.

I’ll go away and think about this, in case I come up with other ideas.

If you need us again, you know where to find us! :D

Badge

interface unit, left it for over 30 minutes, re-initialised the connection, which lasted for about 5 minutes, then the connection failed!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid that app report isn’t telling me anything useful about your Wi-Fi signal. Try using Ubiquiti WiFiman instead. It’s a lot more helpful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119

I often recommend this one because I use it myself and I’m pretty happy to trust the results it gives.

Userlevel 7

Hi @TonyShep,

I’ve seen something similar over the weekend from @lycandroid:

Perhaps related…?

Badge +2

In this case, no.  The issue on this thread concerns wifi connectivity whereas my problem just relates to a particular report (energy usage) not working.  My wifi connection has not been a problem and I have not seen a MELCloud outage.

The screenshot above from @TonyShep shows the wifi signal strength from the ecodan side.  It shows that it’s connected ok but at mid strength so, of itself, doesn’t indicate a problem.  My strength is actually less than that and has been working ok.

@TonyShep I am new to all this myself and so don’t want to confuse matters or waste anyone’s time - but what exact problem do you experience?  Do you get something telling you that the ecodan connection has failed?  A screenshot of that may be useful.  I only ask to reduce ambiguity about the core problem.

Badge

Hi. @TonyShep 

i think I’m getting the same issue as you with my Ecodan. The internet is connected, as far as I can see. But the data from the system is no longer being refreshed. 

I reset the boiler & the Wi-Fi login creds etc. 

Seems it’s not refreshing the data. 
The heating is still working, I think normally. 

the online web interface suggests it last got data / connected on the 24th nov. 

The LEDs on the Wi-Fi box attached to the tank flash normally and then flash error but it’s intermittent and doesn’t seem to relate to a connection issue.

Badge +2

@Hillsides what does the wifi strength show for you via Reports → Wi-Fi Signal Strength?

Also does Reports → Error Report show anything useful?

Badge

Hi @lycandroid 

i’m suspicious that the app is no longer receiving any updates, so not sure it represents anything useful for debugging. 

Also never had an error reported via the app. 

The only insight I have is from the message in the footer of the property interface. ‘Failed to refresh’

Badge +2

@Hillsides Not much to go on.

If it matters, I can say that I have a TP-Link Deco M4 mesh network and, so far, it seems to be working ok - bearing in mind I’ve had it less than a week.  My mitsubishi wifi is in the loft, next to cylinder.

In https://library.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/pdf/download_full/1008 it mentions:

Not all Routers will be able to connect to MELCloud service, if you are not sure please check with the Router manufacturer
before purchasing Mitsubishi Electric Wi-Fi Interface (MAC-557IF-E). Mitsubishi Electric have tested Edimax BR6428-NS
for use with the MELCloud service

However, that refers to MAC-557IF-E and I have a MAC-587IF-E so not sure if the same applies.  Nevertheless, that would obviously bring the signal strength up to near max, as it would be right beside it.

With that, you’d have to run a cable from your existing router (or access point, or whatever) to the edimax sited near the mitsubishi wifi box.  It also will of course need power. It would probably also work with a similar tp-link device which might be cheaper.

If you had a mesh network then similarly you could put a mesh unit beside the mitsubishi wifi as well.

Painful though and no guarantees of working.  Also annoying that to make something work that is supposed to be electrically efficient - you end up having to buy and power more electrical devices :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s important that if you go down that route, go for a mesh system - not Wi-Fi extenders. They’re two completely different things. Mesh Wi-Fi works great, Wi-Fi Extenders are horrible.

You can get various options from vendors like TP-Link, Ubiquiti, Netgear and a few others. If you struggle for power sockets, something that supports Power over Ethernet like Ubiquiti UniFi might help make things a bit easier.

Badge

Hi @lycandroid @Blastoise186 thanks for the thoughts. It’s been running fine for the last 18 months without data loss or connection loss. I have a netgear mesh with a satellite nearby. 

last week the ecodan lost connection and I got the standard email like a power outage. But it’s not been happy since. 

it’s not sent data since. I’ll chat with ecodan to see if they can shed light on it. 

cheers. 

Badge

Yep this is happening to me as well, started about 2 days ago. Lots of emails stating loss of communication then froze. Reconnected once after 4 attempts then disconnected again.

Badge

It seems to be a wider issue as there’s an update on the support page. 

not sure I believe the ‘relatively small’ numbers affected. 

I can’t find anyway to submit a support ticket. 

Badge

@lycandroid , @Hillsides 

Thanks for your replies and comments. 
My issue is exactly as @Hillsides describes. 
MELCloud link working fine for over a year and able to look at data and system readings. 
lost communication a couple of weeks ago, no wifi signal strength showing on app and data not refreshing. Unable to reconnect. Tried the usual reset and reconnect via access point method but it fails every time. 

Badge +2

Interesting as the problem seems to manifest as a local wifi connection issue, not a melcloud server connection issue, which suggests a firmware update broke things.  Anyway... we’ll see what mitsubishi say.

I can’t find anyway to submit a support ticket. 

If you go to https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/homeowners/homeowner-welcome-pack/connect then click Product Support it opens a form to post an issue.  I’ve not had to use it though so far.

I don’t really want to go off topic but have others signed up to the “Homeowner Portal” at https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/homeowners/homeowner-welcome-pack ?  I have not done so as yet.  For anyone that has, does it then allow a more direct way of logging support requests?

Just a random comment possibly, and maybe everyone knows this already (did I mention I’m new to all this) but you can go to https://app.melcloud.com/ and you’ll just get the same interface you get via the app on your phone.  I personally find this more convenient than the app as I’m normally working on my laptop.  If you’re familiar with these things, it also allows you to gain some insight into how the app gets data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My datamining tool suggests 100+ users are affected. This is based off of forum posts here and elsewhere along with a wider internet search

Badge

@lycandroid I use the web based app a bit. But I’d like to meet someone who could extract any insight from the data. I’ve looked at it regularly for the last 18 months and it’s heavy on charts and very light on insight. 
Questions like…  the freeze stat setting is more frequently on these days. Is that something I need to be concerned with?

it also says a lot of some stuff is indicative data but it’s not clear which

generally  it’s fairly useless Without trend or some clever stuff to alert you to issues.