Solved

How to apply for ovo tech academy?

• 14 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Jess_OVO I came across this free apprenticeship 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/blog/launching-the-ovo-tech-academy

However the link to apply take you to a page where it says it is a paid course? The Apply today link, links to this page

https://apply.makers.tech/ovo.01

Are applications still open and is there link to a correct application page? Might be useful for a friend.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 16 June 2022, 11:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

How strange. If you dig a bit deeper, you find this sentence:

“Please note that Makers Academy is not currently an accredited institution for the purposes of the “student visitor” category.”

I think that tells you everything you need to know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

How strange. If you dig a bit deeper, you find this sentence:

“Please note that Makers Academy is not currently an accredited institution for the purposes of the “student visitor” category.”

I think that tells you everything you need to know. 

Actually, my understanding is that only physical brick and mortar colleges and universities can qualify for that status with the Open University being the only exception I can think of. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for highlighting this one, @Jeffus.

I’ve taken this one away to the team responsible for this scheme and have been advised:

We’ve started an apprenticeship scheme to help people into a tech career at OVO. It's aimed at external and internal people, young and old, with no tech qualifications or experience, though people with some hobby or work tech experience are also welcome to apply. We pay apprentices a salary from the start of the training and they are employed by us full time from that point, so they’d have to give notice on any existing work they have. There’s no direct cost to them for the scheme though. We operate the scheme along with an established apprenticeship provider called Makers. This current run is a pilot and applications for it are now closed. If this initial run goes well, we intend to run several more of the same thing in 2023, starting early in the new year.

So it’s really helpful that you’ve spotted the updates we need to make on that page to make this clearer. 

Hopefully your friend finds this interesting and might be a fellow OVO colleague one day. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks for highlighting this one, @Jeffus.

I’ve taken this one away to the team responsible for this scheme and have been advised:

We’ve started an apprenticeship scheme to help people into a tech career at OVO. It's aimed at external and internal people, young and old, with no tech qualifications or experience, though people with some hobby or work tech experience are also welcome to apply. We pay apprentices a salary from the start of the training and they are employed by us full time from that point, so they’d have to give notice on any existing work they have. There’s no direct cost to them for the scheme though. We operate the scheme along with an established apprenticeship provider called Makers. This current run is a pilot and applications for it are now closed. If this initial run goes well, we intend to run several more of the same thing in 2023, starting early in the new year.

So it’s really helpful that you’ve spotted the updates we need to make on that page to make this clearer. 

Hopefully your friend finds this interesting and might be a fellow OVO colleague one day. 🙂

Thanks @Jess_OVO is there any way of getting on a waiting list or getting notice when applications are open again, other than keep checking the website? 

Userlevel 7

What a great idea, @Jeffus.

I’ve raised this to the team, but for the meantime it might be worth bookmarking that page to check in again in the new year.

I’ll update you if I get any early indications of a new round of application too. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge

What a great idea, @Jeffus.

I’ve raised this to the team, but for the meantime it might be worth bookmarking that page to check in again in the new year.

I’ll update you if I get any early indications of a new round of application too. 😊

Thanks, much appreciated.