Solved

How much does an electric heater cost to run per minute please?

• 6 September 2022
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

How much does a 3kw heater cost to run per minute please?

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 6 September 2022, 09:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Urottentheives1 ,

I can try to figure that out for you, but I need to know what your unit rates are first.

Could you tell me what unit rates you want me to calculate against please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Time to dust off the calculator…

Assuming it's running at full power it uses 3kWh in an hour. The price cap is 52p per kWh so an hour of full power will cost £1.56.

Divide that by 60 to get the cost per minute - 2.6p

Now the caveats... This assumes the heater runs at 3kW all the time and it probably won't. It's likely to have a thermostat so it will either reduce power or cut off when the room is up to temperature, so it will use less electricity.

It also assumes that you're on the standard variable tariff.

When you say 'full power' do you mean maximum temp of the heater?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When you say 'full power' do you mean maximum temp of the heater?

There are at least two sets of controls on many electric heaters you buy these days.

1.  Heat Setting

2. Thermostat Setting

So a typical 3kW heater heater may have three heat settings you can choose 1kW, 2kW or 3kW for example . The actual settings will vary by heater

Then the thermostat would let you set the maximum temperature of the room, say 20 degrees. The heater would automatically turn on and off once it had reached 20 degrees to keep the temperature relatively stable.

So full power would be the 3kW setting and the heater was on permanently as the room hadn't yet reached 20 degrees in this example.