Solved

ev charging

• 2 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Was looking to buy an ev however my local council said I couldn’t install a charging point as I don’t have off street parking and I cannot run a cable across the pavement or as I was hoping to do run a channel under the pavement then cover the gap with a grid really! And we are encouraged to go electric!! But you are only allowed to do this with off street parking anyone else had problems trying to install a charging point at home 

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 3 August 2022, 12:49

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Depends where you live, Ubitricity are a company that install & run chargers that fit into street lights & curbs. (currently have more chargers than any other company)  unfortunately they are only in London & Liverpool at the moment 

Userlevel 7

It must be so frustrating to get this news from the council, @cathbolas. We need to move to EVs ASAP so this approach isn’t great. 

@Jequinlan @nealmurphy and other EV regulars have smart charges and V2G chargers, but that requires a driveway it seems. What can someone like Cath do?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @cathbolas 

If you’re happy to say what county you are in I may be able to see if there are any potential solutions.

Things are slowly moving forward. Bedfordshire are trialling the Gul-e system. It may be worth registering your interest at gul-e.co.uk

Gul-e strip across pavement

It’s so annoying Tim trying to do the right thing as asked for by the government then local red tape puts a stop to it !! 

Rotherham South Yorkshire- any information would be great 👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think I also have another possible solution to recommend too. Give me a few hours and I’ll get back to you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you’re happy to say what county you are in I may be able to see if there are any potential solutions.

Things are slowly moving forward. Bedfordshire are trialling the Gul-e system. It may be worth registering your interest at gul-e.co.uk

Gul-e strip across pavement

Rotherham South Yorkshire- any information would be great 👍 

I haven’t had any dealings with Rotherham. What I did come across is:

https://www.theenergysmartgroup.co.uk/on-street-residential-charge-point-scheme/

The Energy Smart Group is based in Rotherham so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they have any local experience with dealing with the council for private installations. The residential charge point scheme could also be an option, although this would become a public chargepoint and would have higher rates than a dedicated EV tariff such as Ovo Drive +Anytime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ha, found it!

You could also look into Ubitricity https://www.ubitricity.com/ as well. They can install lamppost chargers that might work. I’ve never seen one myself but I came across them a while ago.

Thank you for all your help and support Neal