ChargedEV Smart Charger - Using APIs to integrate with my immersion heater?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We have been using our Indra/Ovo/Kaluza smart charger for 4 months now. We also have solar panels, so we use Solar Matching mode to allow the charger to drop to a low current so we don’t take power from the grid when the sun is out. The Smart+ app gives useful info, and I can view and download csv files of historical car charging data if I want to. What the app doesn’t tell me is how it is balancing loads, and doesn’t give me control over the charging rate, apart from the ability to ‘Boost’ which overrides the smart charging and takes electricity at the standard rate. With historical data, from the charger and my smart meter, I could probably find out a few more statistics, but it isn’t straightforward.  I would like to be able to control my immersion heater as well from the system - I already have a logic level input to a solid state switch which can turn the immersion heater on and off - just need access to the APIs associated with the smart charger to find out what it is doing, and then I can feed it from a Raspberry Pi or similar (there’s already something similar in the smart charger).  ChargedEV who installed the charger tell me that a new app is on its way, but don’t know when. I would love more control over it all, but have to be patient, I guess.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I already have a logic level input to a solid state switch which can turn the immersion heater on and off - just need access to the APIs associated with the smart charger to find out what it is doing, and then I can feed it from a Raspberry Pi or similar (there’s already something similar in the smart charger).  ChargedEV who installed the charger tell me that a new app is on its way, but don’t know when. I would love more control over it all, but have to be patient, I guess.

Wow some really technical know-how you’re putting to good use there, @tony1tf.

Gonna admit I’m not sure I’m best suited to answer this one but wonder if any of our fellow EV community members might know of a work-around to help in the meantime - @sylm_2000@nealmurphy@M.isterW@hydrosam - any experience in accessing charging data APIs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the mention @Jess_OVO but I don't think I can help with this one, although I'd be interested in hearing how you get on @tony1tf