Shining Light Award

Are you "Shining Light" on greener living?

• 2 November 2021
  • 36 replies
Are you "Shining Light" on greener living?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/04/22 by Jess_OVO

It’s more than just a new badge...

If you’ve helped an OVO Forum member, by sharing your first hand experience as advice, or created valuable content for countless people to find, we think you’re a Shining Light of greener living. 

A group of members shining light on complex topics around green technology is a powerful thing. To acknowledge great contributions and contributors, we’ve launched the Shining Light Award. Winners of this award will have the Shining Light badge added to their forum profile, and a prize will be arranged. 

Watch out for members who hold the ‘Shining Light’ badge

Do you have first hand experience with smart meters, EV chargers, solar panels, energy storage, heat pumps and the like? Then you’re perfectly placed to advise other households thinking about their options to cut their carbon and save energy. 

Be a shining light. Be the change you want to see. Let’s do it together! 

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

So that explains the random parcel that just got delivered to me then? XD

I’m not going to reveal what it is however, since that would spoil the surprise. But I did get a chuckle at the note that was included! :rofl:

Userlevel 7

And the winner is…

We’ve got our first winner of the Shining Light Award, which aims to acknowledge exceptional contributions that shine a light on complex topics around green technology:

:sparkler:@Blastoise186 :sparkler:

This new badge had been added to their profile

Blastoise is already a top ranked community member, a ‘Plan Zero Hero’. At the time of writing this they’ve provided 59 ‘best answer’ solutions in the 12 months or so that they’ve been a member, and created 80 topics, many of them being informative guides and blogs. 

Over the last few weeks, Blastoise has stepped up their game in content creation: their two recent guides are well written, well researched, and offer a member-based perspective that’s easy to follow and understand:

This is a hot topic at the moment (see OVO’s FAQs on high energy costs here), and it’s really good to get the perspective of an energy customer rather then an energy supplier. It’s super detailed and covers so many related questions, which is now online and easy to find for anyone searching for advice. 

This guide aims to shed light on a new third party app that gives smart meter households a new way to view their usage. It’s something that’s separate from OVO or any other supplier, so it’s really handy to hear from an energy customer on the good and bad bits of this integration and how to set it up! Knowing your usage helps to make reductions that lower your bills, and your carbon footprint. This is a great example of how knowledge sharing can lead to win win scenarios for everyone. 

To acknowledge the great contributions @Blastoise186 has made over the last month, we’re sending out one of OVO’s branded jumpers, intended for it’s employees to keep warm whilst allowing them to turn the thermostat down a degree (and cut their carbon).

Here’s @Jess_OVO with the new jumper, standing in front of one of our OVO bikes (currently being ridden in  Glasgow, Cardiff, and the Vale of Glamorgan) and behind that is OVO’s original ‘Kitchen table’ from where the company was founded:

The first prize for our first Shining Light Award winner

Keep up the great knowledge sharing, @Blastoise186 - keep being that Shining Light!

Userlevel 7

Very well deserved new badge for our Shining Light, @Blastoise186!

Are we gonna see you modelling ya new jumper then? :bulb:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We’ll have to wait and see. XD

For some weird reason, any photos of me that get posted to the internet always seem to get a bit... Messed up somehow… From being too dark and underexposed, to way too bright and massively overexposed or even just some random object that happens to photobomb at exactly the wrong moment… They never turn out that great!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

congratulations @Blastoise186  and @Jess_OVO  - well deserved! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks!

That jumper is really comfy and great to wear. I just feel bad for Christian in the Support Team. I was chatting to him the other day and he apparently missed out on getting one because he was out on the day these jumpers were being given out. I kinda joked with him that I pinched his instead. XD

It is hoped however, that other forum members might earn Shining Light in the future. The physical prize you get might not always be the same (trust me, even I don’t know what else TIm and Jess are cooking up as rewards!) but it will always be something. Please don’t expect money off your energy bills or a cash reward though, as I’m afraid that’s not allowed and would never be possible. Too many headaches about anti-bribery rules, gambling rules and “employment” issues that you really don’t want to have to deal with as volunteers can’t be paid (other than being reimbursed for expenses). But a small gift as a thank you is definitely cool.

There was also a note included with my jumper. I won’t reveal it here as it’s a bit too personal but I will say this. Tim’s handwriting is nowhere near as awful as mine! At least you can actually read Tim’s writing! :D

Userlevel 7

Another day, another Shining Light

I’m happy to announce our second winner of the Shining Light Award, which aims to acknowledge exceptional contributions that shine a light on complex topics around green technology and greener living:

:sparkler:@hydrosam :sparkler:

This badge had been added to their profile

Hydrosam is a trialist in one of the heat pump trials that OVO are involved in. They had a heat pump fitted in 2021, and through all the ups and downs, they’re now a self confessed amateur heat pump enthusiast!

We have a private discussion area on this forum, for members of trials like the one Hydrosam is on. It’s full of information sharing based on personal experience, and knowledge picked up through research. Hydrosam is one of the top contributors in this area, as they pass on learnings that were often acquired out of necessary, to others in need.

They’re shining a light on complex questions around heat pump installation best practice, pipe and radiator changes, performance and optimisation.  Here’s some examples of heat pump threads that Hydrosam has participated in that have made it onto the public forum:

Want to learn more about heat pumps? Hydrosam is one of three guest speakers at our next online event on the 2nd of March:

Yes, Hydrosam will be shining a light on heatpumps LIVE, and you can join for free. Have a question for Hydrosam or any of the other guest speakers, post your question here:

Keep an eye on your email inbox next week, @hydrosam - you’ll be getting a prize to go alongside this forum badge to acknowledge the number of people you’ve helped!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yay! Congrats Sam! If you keep this up, it won’t be long before another reward comes your way. Tim won’t let me share exactly what that is just yet though...

Userlevel 7

A big well done to our latest ‘Shining Light’, @hydrosam!

Here’s to hoping that we’ve managed to get that notification bug sorted in time for you to spot this topic. :wink:

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for the award @Tim_OVO & @Jess_OVO 

Its nice to receive the feedback and a badge. I’m just keen that people know that heat pumps can work but they must be operated in the best way to make the most of them, and share some of my experiences and lessons learnt in the process. 

@Jess_OVO bug resolved again 😀, hopefully permanently this time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Your reward is well earned Sam. I’m still curious as to which piece of Stephen’s furniture Tim and Jess have pinched to use as a background for your reward photo...

Userlevel 7

The latest Shining Light is…

:sparkler: @Jeffus :sparkler:

This badge has been added to your profile

We think Jeffus has been a Shining Light for OVO Forum members who are looking for help and advice about plans, prices, costs and debt management. It's a tough time for energy bill payers and I'm sure visitors who find their posts are grateful for the genuine, first hand advice they’ve given.

Thanks for being a shining light @Jeffus! Please check the email inbox that’s registered with your OVO Forum profile (and maybe your junk/spam folder): there should be something in there from us...

OVO understands that lots of our members are feeling worried about changes to the energy price cap. That’s why we’ve pulled together some information here to help you understand what’s happening – If you need urgent financial support, we can help with this here. Lastly, we’ve got awesome forum members like Jeffus giving their own experiences and advice, don’t forget about that! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you. 

Keep up the good work, both OVO and others who help where they can. 

Userlevel 7

A bit late for January, but the (now monthly) winner of our Shining Light award is the mighty @juliamc 👑 

This member’s ability to make complex answers simple goes unmatched. They have patience to help those that ask a question that’s already answered, and they share their newly acquired knowledge on heat pumps whenever the need arises. We love seeing you when we host events and your feedback and insight is always on point. 

Shining Light badge

Thank you for being a part of this small online community. Here’s a badge and a small gesture of appreciation: a £30 voucher for an Asda or Tesco shop near you (or Love2Shop / Amazon if you prefer - let me know your preference). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A bit late for January, but the (now monthly) winner of our Shining Light award is the mighty @juliamc 👑 

This member’s ability to make complex answers simple goes unmatched. They have patience to help those that ask a question that’s already answered, and they share their newly acquired knowledge on heat pumps whenever the need arises. We love seeing you when we host events and your feedback and insight is always on point. 

Shining Light badge

Thank you for being a part of this small online community. Here’s a badge and a small gesture of appreciation: a £30 voucher for an Asda or Tesco shop near you (or Love2Shop / Amazon if you prefer - let me know your preference). 

A great regular poster on the forum who has helped so many customers. 

@juliamc you should be very proud of what you have done.

Keep on posting 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Aww thank you !! I must admit the patience has been wearing a bit thin recently but now I’ll have to grin and bear it !! 😊😬

@Tim_OVO I am a Waitrose regular really, but sometimes seen in Tesco’s 

Userlevel 7

And with 50,000 points on the all time leadership board as of the 17th February, it should come as no surprise to say that the one and only @Blastoise186 is February’s Shining Light award winner. 

You should have an email with a small gift attached already. 

So, what does 50k points look like?

1. It’s 66 topics,
  2. 6k comments,
  3. 237 best answers,
  4. Plus 17 followers.

Well done to you, @Blastoise186 for being a shining light to so many people. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And with 50,000 points on the all time leadership board as of the 17th February, it should come as no surprise to say that the one and only @Blastoise186 is February’s Shining Light award winner. 

You should have an email with a small gift attached already. 

So, what does 50k points look like?

1. It’s 66 topics,
  2. 6k comments,
  3. 237 best answers,
  4. Plus 17 followers.

Well done to you, @Blastoise186 for being a shining light to so many people. 

Simply amazing, you should be very proud @Blastoise186 .

Am sure you will be successful in whatever you do going forward job wise.

You are an inspiration. It is the quality of your work and your knowledge, as well as the pure stats.

Honestly the forum wouldn't be like it is without you. 

Well done! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

All I have to say right now is… PHEW!!! That milestone took two and a half YEARS to reach - and that’s with me going absolutely full-on with my constant patrols.

Userlevel 7

March’s ‘Shining Light’ award winner is the mighty @BPLightlog, for their rapid accumulation of 10,000 points. How did they get these? As I write, it’s:

• 17 topics
  • 989 comments
  • 39 ‘best answer’ solutions

BPLightlog’s guide to the Energy Bills Support Scheme payments has accumulated well over 5000 views:

This is my favourite:

We got to meet BPLightlog in person earlier this year, as they visited the Bristol office. Thanks for being such a valuable addition to the community since joining at the end of last year. Look out for a small something sent to you via email...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

March’s ‘Shining Light’ award winner is the mighty @BPLightlog, for their rapid accumulation of 10,000 points. How did they get these? As I write, it’s:

• 17 topics
  • 989 comments
  • 39 ‘best answer’ solutions

BPLightlog’s guide to the Energy Bills Support Scheme payments has accumulated well over 5000 views:

This is my favourite:

We got to meet BPLightlog in person earlier this year, as they visited the Bristol office. Thanks for being such a valuable addition to the community since joining at the end of last year. Look out for a small something sent to you via email...

Many thanks Tim - as I’ve said, I don’t really feel that I’ve done much really but it’s a fascinating area and if I can help while I have the time then that’s great. 
A tardy reply as we’ve been out walking part of Offa’s Dyke near Monmouth today. A lovely day for a walk along the river

Userlevel 7

A tardy reply as we’ve been out walking part of Offa’s Dyke near Monmouth today. A lovely day for a walk along the river

Sounds lovely, @BPLightlog any drone action?

I was lucky enough to make it up to Snowdonia at the weekend, and climbed the second highest peak in Wales, Cader Idris:

Can you spot me having my packed lunch?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes we can! You’re that pointy thing near the bottom left corner of the image!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sounds lovely, @BPLightlog any drone action?

I was lucky enough to make it up to Snowdonia at the weekend, and climbed the second highest peak in Wales, Cader Idris:

There’s some lovely spots around. No drone this time .. it took some effort to keep on track but a fabulous walk

Userlevel 7

We have April’s Shining Light winner!

As this Plan Zero Hero got to 2nd place in the all-time points leaderboard by getting to 20k points, it had to be the one and only @Jeffus!

What does 20k points look like?

• 32 topics
  • 2128 comments 
  • 102 ‘best answer’ solutions

102 best answers! Any one of those solutions could be seen hundreds or thousands of times.

Thank you for being such a customer champion, for helping customers and non customers alike. A true shining light!

Check your emails later this week for something from us...