Anyone have experience of Ground Source Heat Pump in conservation area or listed building?

• 1 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3

I’m probably going to install a Ground Source Heat Pump (GSHP) in a house ~150yrs old with living area of 300m$^2$.  Most of the “Fabric First” issues have been addressed (roof, windows etc), though still some some minor work to do;  except Internal insulation of external walls. 

The walls are about 600m stone with lathe and plaster, with intricate cornices.  I don’t want to damage or obscure the cornices, and am willing to accept the penalty.

I’m no electrician but Maximum Demand with diversity is approaching single phase limit with V2G charger and GSHP.

I’m interested if anyone has got experience of similar set up.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Car chargers can be turned up and down generally without penalty - I’m sure others can do this, but I know the Myenergy Zappi charger can have a current sensor on the house mains connection, and can be programmed to reduce the chargeing current when demand is high.

Userlevel 3

@RobL That’s interesting, didn’t know that.

Userlevel 7

Our resident home-building expert, @Transparent has written a recent piece about calculating the maximum demand of his house:

Wonder if he has any further advice in terms of installing a GSHP without having to disturb your cornices? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’d recommend getting smart meters, with daily data logged.  Assuming heating is by gas presently, this will allow you to look back over a years useage, and find the maximum daily use - I would expect this to be a much better way to identify what heat pump size to get than floor area calculations etc.  The max daily-KWh/24hours will give a power level.  The ideal gshp power is that size I think, and would then run continuously on the coldest day.  Oversizing leads to stop/start cycles which wear things out by fatigue, undersizing leads to unhappiness!  Continuous running also makes best use of heat emitters, as they can run warm rather than hot, improving COP of the heat pump.  If the heat pump has weather compensation, this will improve the COP again, as it could (if set up right) back off the rad temp most of the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m splitting this topic in two….

The electrical supply to Glaikit’s house is now covered here in the topic on Energy Demand, Supply and Flexibility.

I’ll return here later to pick up the GSHP part of the discussion  :slight_smile:

and @Jess_OVO the comment about obscuring cornices relates to the previous sentence about using internal wall insulation. (You can’t fill a cavity if the wall doesn’t have one!).

The GSHP and the interior pipework won’t go anywhere near those cornices :sweat_smile:

Could @Glaikit please tell us if the house is to use radiators or underfloor heating?

Userlevel 7

@Glaikit what came of this - did you get the ground source heat pump fitted?