Solved

TCR (Targeted Charging Review) - what are the likely changes incoming for new consumer tariffs?

• 8 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Next April new methods of charging for grid services come as a result of TCR.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/electricity/transmission-networks/charging/targeted-charging-review-significant-code-review

How is this likely to affect customers who:

1. Customers who have time of use tariffs (including ½ hourly like Octopus Agile)?
  2. Customers who export electricity from battery storage or on site generation (including V2G)?
  3. Customers who are high users of electricity (EV charging, Heat pump, Night Storage heaters etc)?
  4. What do these changes allow that weren't possible on the existing system? 
  5. What do these changes prevent that was possible on the existing system?
  6. Are there any other benefits to implementing these changes (efficiency, environmental impact, renewables etc)?
  7. What does this mean for the grid balancing industry as a whole?

What is the likely industry reaction to the changes (withdrawal and creation of new consumer tariffs, increase / decrease in charges for particular customers)?

It would be great to get an insight into how this will affect consumers  from an energy providers perspective and anybody who has anything to add.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 10 August 2020, 13:44

Great post, @ArundaleP - a very interesting set of questions! I have read the Ofgem page linked above. There’s a list of related publications and updates below it for those interested. Arundale are you up to speed on this? A high level summary might be helpful for newbies to this...

I can see you’ve posted this in the ‘Kaluza Ask me anything (AMA)’ event. I’ll be moving related comments over to this thread so we have it all in one place. But our two experts involved might be able to offer insight into strategic implications from a supplier and consumer point of view. We’re still collecting questions for that event, but I will make sure your comment/question there is included in the review process. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good point @ArundaleP 

and for those not up to speed on energy acronyms, TCR is Targeted Charging Review which changes the way in which network transmission/distribution charges are levied as part of our bills.

*edited by mod*

The future network charges have implications for how customers might change their energy use to times that might favour more renewables and energy generated closer to their homes.

Userlevel 7

Great post, @ArundaleP - a very interesting set of questions! I have read the Ofgem page linked above. There’s a list of related publications and updates below it for those interested. Arundale are you up to speed on this? A high level summary might be helpful for newbies to this...

I can see you’ve posted this in the ‘Kaluza Ask me anything (AMA)’ event. I’ll be moving related comments over to this thread so we have it all in one place. But our two experts involved might be able to offer insight into strategic implications from a supplier and consumer point of view. We’re still collecting questions for that event, but I will make sure your comment/question there is included in the review process. 

Userlevel 7

Please note there is another topic here, related to TOU tariffs, and implications for comparison difficulties for energy consumers - check it out!