Solved

How will I know when it's time to renew?

• 29 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, I manage my parents’ energy accounts and their present tariff is due to end 11 April, when will we receive details of the replacement?

icon

Best answer by Transparent 31 March 2020, 10:53

Hi @lynnd21 - your Forum post on this matter is welcome.

I received an email notice entitled “Your fixed plan ends soon” seven weeks before the actual end of contract. This matches the time interval when a customer is permitted to switch Suppliers without paying exit-fees.

I received no further reminder.

On looking back at that email, I see that the Header Data isn’t quite correct. The date format is such that no time/date information appears on my email software. In my case it still did show in the incoming email queue for the date it was received. But your email software may have treated it differently.

Sometimes emails with errors in Header Data are regarded as Spam and automatically routed to your Spam-folder. When it’s the Date Data at fault, it’s possible for it to appear out of sequence, and thus be missed.

As for the real purpose of your enquiry, there is no automatic “replacement” tariff. If you do not choose an alternative energy plan for your parents, then they will drop into the standard variable rate, which is invariably higher priced than a fixed-term plan.

In my case I checked the details of the 1-year and 2-year Fixed Price Tariffs about 3 weeks before my end of contract. Both showed significant increases.

When I checked again the following week, the 2-year Fixed Price Tariff had been much reduced. I quickly pressed the button to accept it!

The lesson is that OVO can and do revise their Tariff Offers on a regular basis.

I hope that helps.

View original

3 replies

Hi I have been with Ovo for 3 years I think - I usually get details of the next years offer in plenty of time, ie around 3 weeks or so before the end of tariff if not 4 weeks. Are you sure it hasnt got stuck in a junk email folder for your parents?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @lynnd21 - your Forum post on this matter is welcome.

I received an email notice entitled “Your fixed plan ends soon” seven weeks before the actual end of contract. This matches the time interval when a customer is permitted to switch Suppliers without paying exit-fees.

I received no further reminder.

On looking back at that email, I see that the Header Data isn’t quite correct. The date format is such that no time/date information appears on my email software. In my case it still did show in the incoming email queue for the date it was received. But your email software may have treated it differently.

Sometimes emails with errors in Header Data are regarded as Spam and automatically routed to your Spam-folder. When it’s the Date Data at fault, it’s possible for it to appear out of sequence, and thus be missed.

As for the real purpose of your enquiry, there is no automatic “replacement” tariff. If you do not choose an alternative energy plan for your parents, then they will drop into the standard variable rate, which is invariably higher priced than a fixed-term plan.

In my case I checked the details of the 1-year and 2-year Fixed Price Tariffs about 3 weeks before my end of contract. Both showed significant increases.

When I checked again the following week, the 2-year Fixed Price Tariff had been much reduced. I quickly pressed the button to accept it!

The lesson is that OVO can and do revise their Tariff Offers on a regular basis.

I hope that helps.

Userlevel 6

Hey @lynnd21 and @fmcm,

Short version - @Transparent’s absolutely right it’s 7 weeks before the end of your tariff. 

You should have a dialogue box at the top of your online account for the duration reminding you, too.

You’ll then get a confirmation email when you renew, or if no renewal is made, when you drop onto the standard variable tariff. 

:v_tone1: