Solved

Why is the Greeenlight weekly energy use tool on my online account showing gas I don’t use?

The weekly energy use tool keeps showing we use 9% of gas for cooking.  Bit concerning as we don’t have any gas cooking appliances, we have electric hob & oven. 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 10 June 2021, 11:48

Hi @SDood and welcome to the OVO online community.

A great spot there on some inaccuracies with the way your online account  has calculated your usage breakdown. Is it your OVO Greenlight feature where you’ve seen this suggestion? -

Exact appearance may vary

Agree with @Blastoise186 on this point - 

Firstly, please rest assured that you will never be charged for any energy that you actually don’t end up using. OVO Greenlight isn’t perfect, but it’s designed to learn over time, 

We can never know 100% which appliances you have plugged in or using gas but can make suggestions based on your usage patterns (ie a short burst of gas usage is more likely to be a gas hob than a boiler which might use a lower level of gas for a longer period).

We’d be interested to hear if you’ve filled in the extra info about your property/usage and if this does alter the usage breakdown assumptions. Don’t forget to pop back and let us know if this helped. :slight_smile:

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Welcome @SDood !

I think I know what’s happening with OVO Greenlight here and this is a pretty easy fix.

Firstly, please rest assured that you will never be charged for any energy that you actually don’t end up using. OVO Greenlight isn’t perfect, but it’s designed to learn over time, but it sounds like you might just need to give it a little bit of help in this case.

You should see an option that looks a bit like this both in MyOVO and in the OVO Energy apps. If you select that, you’ll be asked a few questions - they only take about 90 seconds or so and they’re not too tricky. Once you answer those, it will update your Home Profile in OVO Greenlight and will apply the changes from tomorrow onwards.

This should help to correct that accidental gas usage, but if it doesn’t, please let us know right here on the forum and I can help you get this flagged up.

Userlevel 6

Hi @SDood and welcome to the OVO online community.

A great spot there on some inaccuracies with the way your online account  has calculated your usage breakdown. Is it your OVO Greenlight feature where you’ve seen this suggestion? -

Exact appearance may vary

Agree with @Blastoise186 on this point - 

Firstly, please rest assured that you will never be charged for any energy that you actually don’t end up using. OVO Greenlight isn’t perfect, but it’s designed to learn over time, 

We can never know 100% which appliances you have plugged in or using gas but can make suggestions based on your usage patterns (ie a short burst of gas usage is more likely to be a gas hob than a boiler which might use a lower level of gas for a longer period).

We’d be interested to hear if you’ve filled in the extra info about your property/usage and if this does alter the usage breakdown assumptions. Don’t forget to pop back and let us know if this helped. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that tip, I’ve filled in the questionnaire.  Just have to wait & see if that makes breakdown more accurate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries @SDood !

I test these features out a lot and constantly try to break absolutely everything. OVO Greenlight is one of those which I’ve been playing with a lot since launch and I’ve gotten pretty confident that it’s learned my usage now. Initially it dumped everything into just Always On & Standby and Fridges & Freezers but that’s been fixed since.

24 hours should be enough for Greenlight to start becoming more accurate  but it may take at least a week for it to get close and potentially up to a month before it can truly lock on. I hope you find it useful!