Solved

Why does the password have to be so prescriptive?

• 23 December 2019
  • 4 replies

OVO get so many things right, however, making a password contain a special character just means I will be having to change it all the time, I hate having it so prescriptive. I learnt from a computer genius (the opposite of me), the best passwords to have, none of the methods were over complicated, contain special characters or require the memory of an elephant!

icon

Best answer by NinjaGeek 29 December 2019, 23:18

@Bookworm25 Reason being for this is for security reasons. You wouldn’t think this is true but people do tend to set there passwords to short words such as “pizza” Not only is this too short, but very easy to guess for hackers. I would highly recommend you look into a password manager. I personally use Enpass and absolutely love it! I do not know any of my passwords as the app generates them for me. Another one you could look at is Lastpass or Keepass.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @Bookworm25 - Including a special character in your password is a fairly common requirement with online accounts. It makes your password more difficult to guess and protects your details.

Userlevel 5

Secure passwords have to be long, but if they are long and contain a mix of numbers letters and special characters only computers can remember them.

https://xkcd.com/936/

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Bookworm25 Reason being for this is for security reasons. You wouldn’t think this is true but people do tend to set there passwords to short words such as “pizza” Not only is this too short, but very easy to guess for hackers. I would highly recommend you look into a password manager. I personally use Enpass and absolutely love it! I do not know any of my passwords as the app generates them for me. Another one you could look at is Lastpass or Keepass.

Dead easy tips if you don’t want complicated passwords that you can’t remember. Use some numbers or characters for letters eg 0(zero) for o, 3 for e, 9 for p and 4 for h   @ for a, or even better use the shift key to mix it up a bit for example if you want to use a memorable word, say example, do something like this

Example becomes

E-a:p”e

just by using the shift on alternative letters, if the password needs a number then just stick one at the end.

or Ex@m9l3 using number and character switching. 

if a password needs a special character split the word with & as it easy to remember this as “and” e.g.

Exam&ple