Solved

When did OVO start using the new online experience?

• 18 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Doe’s anyone know when OVO started using Orion as a billing platform?

I have been told I had a balance transfer to Orion which I believe is inaccurate.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 18 June 2020, 13:13

We started transferring members to our new online experience in 2018, @bernie123, at the beginning it was more for members with smart meters but we’ve made a few changes and slowly more and more members have had their accounts transferred over. Including members with traditional meters.

When we move an account to the new experience everything is moved over, so old statements, balances, Direct Debit, payment history - so you’re still able to see all of this. 

We’ve got a whole section dedicated to this, take a look at other topics here

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @bernie123 - I went onto the new Billing System on 16-Nov’19, but I doubt I was the first.

Who told you it was Orion? We try not to use internal project names here on the Forum because we risk defining it inaccurately. An internal Project may actually deliver a number of different Products for customer use.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ninja,

OVO told me it was Orion.

As I’ve answered your question will you answer mine?

Also when you say “we” I assume, as you say “We try not to use internal project names” you are an employee of OVO is that right?

Userlevel 6

We started transferring members to our new online experience in 2018, @bernie123, at the beginning it was more for members with smart meters but we’ve made a few changes and slowly more and more members have had their accounts transferred over. Including members with traditional meters.

When we move an account to the new experience everything is moved over, so old statements, balances, Direct Debit, payment history - so you’re still able to see all of this. 

We’ve got a whole section dedicated to this, take a look at other topics here

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No I’m not an OVO employee, @bernie123. Their Forum IDs always end _OVO

I’m one of the Superusers, who get the “Ninja” suffix added when we post here. :slight_smile:

I tend to be pro-active in seeking data from the Moderators rather than waiting for an official announcement to be made. Occasionally my discussions reveal part of an internal strategy, possibly because I receive a reply from a Project Manager. But I won’t make that knowledge public until OVO do so.

I’m also a member of a Community Group who are monitoring substations in partnership with Western Power Distribution. So I get to learn about national energy strategy and initiatives before the Energy Suppliers release Products to implement them.

The new Billing System takes OVO a long way towards implementing the Demand Side Response strategy, announced in 2013 when Ed Davey was Energy Minister in the coalition government. That strategy also introduced the Smart Meter technology which we now have, and Auxilliary Load Control Switches, which are yet to be implemented.

What we currently see as the new Billing System may not be all that the Orion Project has set out to deliver. And that’s why I’m wary of simply assuming that the two are one and the same.

Have I answered you adequately?

If not, please ask more.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ninja***,

yes that’s a great answer.

As you might have picked up I’m very frustrated with OVO at the moment.

Sorry to have vented my frustration on you.

As I have seen a least one major billing error, (near on£600), I have a mistrust of the system.

My apology to you.

Thanks,

BR

bernie123

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s fine @bernie123 - I didn’t detect frustration being aimed at me.

Here on the Forum, we have the potential to take much more initiative in driving forward the changes that are needed to make the domestic Energy Supply industry more customer-centric.

So you were absolutely right to have posted your situation here.

Energy legislation over the past decade is putting the future more firmly into the hands of the public. For example the regional Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) are all required to become Distribution System Operators (DSOs). Ofgem requires a fundamental change in their approach so that they serve our requirements rather than control them. DSOs must create new markets with participation from innovators and community groups, and open up the network data for us all to see.

Equally all GB Energy Suppliers need to up their game. Once we have Time Of Use tariffs with variable pricing throughout the day, they can no longer hold onto us with an annual contract. The level of service becomes a much more important issue.

We have actually seen some reports here of much more substantial billing errors than you have experienced. Have a look at this Topic where a customer had his Direct Debit raised to £1000 per month! :scream:

Fortunately, the more outrageous is the error, the more likely it is to get speedily resolved. It’s the minor errors I’m concerned about.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, sounds like your way ahead, I’m just a newbie.

Cheers