Post a comment here if the online account smart daily usage problem (multiple days of the same usage/spend) is fixed for you!

Userlevel 4
  • Carbon Catcher*
  • 126 replies

Updated on 13/10/20:  Missing smart meter readings or usage data on the online account are usually due to a temporary smart meter communication drop out.  See this topic to diagnose meter comm issues with your Aclara or Honeywell/Elster(SMETS2) smart meter, and this topic for your Secure Liberty smart meter. 

Half Hourly usage data missing (daily chart)

These section (which isn’t used in any of your billing or charges) is vulnerable to communication drop outs if something happens to prevent the meter sending your reading for that half hour period. For any missed half hourly periods, the usage will be averaged out once comms has been restored. This shows as a number of bars being the same size. 

Daily usage data missing (monthly chart)

This section can also see communication drop outs, even if there’s half hourly data available that day. It needs a reading at around midnight to be able to populate that day’s usage. If you’re seeing missing usage on either meter for that day, see if any of the half hourly bars are missing for the end of the day. Communication is usually restored by itself, and any missed daily periods will be averaged out when this happens. This shows as a number of bars being the same size. 

I, like a few others, have had ongoing problems with my daily usage for gas and electricity not displaying on certain days.

Last month there was no data for the last 6 days of June (i.e. from 25th to 30th) for both gas and electricity.

However, on the 1st July, the problem seemed to have resolved itself as the 'missing' data mysteriously appeared !

27 replies

Userlevel 4

So far so good not short lived as my daily usage for both gas and electricity are still accurate.

The only 'problem' is that the gas daily usage charge (aprox 28p a day) still isn't being displayed on my IHD but it isn't really a problem as it is still being paid as it is on my monthly statement.

By the way there is no missing data on gas usage it's not showing up on certain days because I haven't used any gas on those days and, as I now have upgraded to a Combi boiler with no pilot light, there is no 'wasted' gas like used to happen with my old boiler.

Like most people in the summer months, I only use my boiler for washing up and baths not heating!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It looks like there may have been a gap in readings received from your meter. When that happens it just divides the reading over the time since the last know reading. In your case it looks like 8 days without an update of reading.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This fault is meant to have been fixed. There is likely to be more than one root cause, but we refer to this class of error as “Missing data”. 

There’s no need to “apportion” usage equally over these days. When the Meter-Read command is eventually successful, the half-hourly readings for each day are picked up anyway. Currently the new Billing System ignores these, although they can be seen on our Usage graphs.

We’ve been discussing this for many months now.

The problem (or feature) is that the data from the SMETS meter when the connection is reestablished is not all sent simultaneously.

It will get the total and current readings first and then backfill the daily historical data, and eventually the half hour readings so the daily and half hourly readings for a previously missing day may take a while to transfer and show up. Also cost and kWh data is sent separately so the same will happen there assuming the data in the app for cost is derived from the SMETS meter and not calculated from consumption values.

Eventually assuming nothing else is at play all the historical data should be available.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks all. I did try and find the topic before creating a new one. Strangely I didn't search for missing data (as it appears invalid rather than missing on 1st glance) 

Happy it is in the right home now!

Userlevel 4

What used to happen was the 'missing' energy amount used to be shared equally over the 'missing' days as in my example below for February this year:

Userlevel 4

@Bradley_OVO Funnily enough it's been like that for quite a while now and the strange thing is that since this happened I haven't had any daily usage data go 'missing' !

Coincidence?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This fault is meant to have been fixed. There is likely to be more than one root cause, but we refer to this class of error as “Missing data”. 

There’s no need to “apportion” usage equally over these days. When the Meter-Read command is eventually successful, the half-hourly readings for each day are picked up anyway. Currently the new Billing System ignores these, although they can be seen on our Usage graphs.

We’ve been discussing this for many months now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

As you can see my new smartmeter has reported the exact same to 100th kwh usage for 8 days. Statistically is this likely to actually be wrong, or something else as we are living in the house so i see this as highly unlikely!

Thoughts or experiences of similar? 

Userlevel 4

However, last time, bearing in mind that there was no data for the last 6 days of June, everything is fine:

Userlevel 4

For clarification purposes, there is missing data on my gas daily usage stats because I have recently replaced my conventional boiler with a combi boiler that hasn't got a pilot light so there's no wasted gas when the combi boiler isn't in use.

I am sorry for posting multiple messages but for some reason when I try to write a long post, it freezes and I have to type it all in again !

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting this, @MikeE - very interesting to hear the missing usage data was retrospectively updated.

I want to hear from others to see if they’re seeing the same… @MajorSqueeze @Neilupnorth 

Userlevel 2

@Tim_OVO Hi my missing usage data was all populated last week too thanks. Interestingly it stopped updating again over the weekend, but the missing data appeared this morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, I’d noted that @MikeE - and this may not be coincidental.

That’s why I’d actually prefer it if @BenS_OVO could read through what you’ve reported above first, even if it then needs forwarding to the team of programmers in London.

There are frequent code updates being released either to our meters or to the new Billing System. Unfortunately we don’t know when these occur so we can’t provide as good a level of feedback as I’d wish.

I’ve already asked @Tim_OVO about this. I’d like us to have a discrete location on our My OVO pages where we can see a list of the current software version numbers we’re on, and the time/date stamp of the last change. We’d need several entries to cover

• Billing System
  • Communications Hub
  • Electricity meter
  • Gas meter
  • IHD

and I can think of others, but that would be a useful start!

Userlevel 4

I have noticed a change on my account namely that the daily tariff charge isn't assigned to the gas usage on my IHD.

I do however still get charged the 27p daily charge on both meters, it's just that only the standing charge on the electric is shown on my IHD.

As an example if I use no gas at all on a specific day, the gas display on my IHD is displayed as 0 where as before the 27p charge used to be shown.

On the other hand if I use 3 kWh of gas, which is approx 10p, it just is displayed as 10p not 37p which is what used to happen !

Thanks for the info - really helpful. 

So we’re talking purely about what’s showing up on the IHD@MikeE - rather then your online account ? It would be good to see if others aren’t seeing the gas standing charges on their IHDs but a bit more info might be really helpful!

I’m going to suggest you get some account specific help from our support team as well, FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

@Tim_OVO I don't need help as for the first time since I became an OVO customer my smart meters both show correct energy usage.

The fact that the 27p gas standing charge is missing on the IHD display doesn't bother me as I know I will get charged for it at the end of the month when my monthly bill is calculated.

If this lasts then I will be pleased 😀 

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the great update @MikeE 

It’s strange that the gas daily standing charge isn't showing, has this since changed or updated since your last reply?

It would also be great to know if you’ve managed to get any further with your online account issues @Gorbo @Transparent @Neilupnorth ?

Speak soon,

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVOHi my missing usage data was all populated last week too thanks. Interestingly it stopped updating again over the weekend, but the missing data appeared this morning.

The exact same thing happened to me !

It looks like the problem has been sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It hasn’t been “sorted” on my account. Here’s my gas readings for the last 5 days:

Isn’t this “missing data” issue the same as Chris was mentioning over here@Tim_OVO ?

He’s just seeing what we’ve all been discussing for months. The earlier comment is about his IHD, but when he was writing about “drop outs of data” he’s referring to the App.

However, it’s looking promising that some of us are seeing the catch-up of gas data properly apportioned to the right days.

Can you check with Ben please @Tim_OVO and ask what SMETS commands within the new Billing System have been recently changed for @MikeE and @Neilupnorth that have not yet been changed for me?

Coz if the answer is that there’s been no change by OVO’s programmers, then that suggests you need to start talking to Utiligroup about their BOL interface.

Still waiting to have my online account sorted, I can`t even send readings now, not really good enough

Userlevel 6

Have you been able to login yet, @Gorbo? In this topic we asked you to reach out to the team on FacebookTwitter  or the Help centre has online chat, have you managed to do this? If not, please reach out to the team so they can help. You can also send them your meter readings so they can submit them for you. 

@Eva_OVO

I can log in fine I just can`t do anything in there I can`t veiw my usage I can`t upload readings, my meter is not sending data, this has gone on way to long. I have reached out to the team I can`t reach any further, I have had no feedback from the tech team. Gorbo

Userlevel 6

Ah OK, @Gorbo, the team will get back to you, normally within 3 working days with emails. It sounds like you’re being effected by this issue. Please email the team your readings as @Eva_OVO advised or if you have  Facebook or Twitter, please pop them to us there, we’ll get them added. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4

It hasn’t been “sorted” on my account. Here’s my gas readings for the last 5 days:

Isn’t this “missing data” issue the same as Chris was mentioning over here@Tim_OVO ?

He’s just seeing what we’ve all been discussing for months. The earlier comment is about his IHD, but when he was writing about “drop outs of data” he’s referring to the App.

However, it’s looking promising that some of us are seeing the catch-up of gas data properly apportioned to the right days.

Can you check with Ben please @Tim_OVO and ask what SMETS commands within the new Billing System have been recently changed for @MikeE and @Neilupnorth that have not yet been changed for me?

Coz if the answer is that there’s been no change by OVO’s programmers, then that suggests you need to start talking to Utiligroup about their BOL interface.

I have noticed a change on my account namely that the daily tariff charge isn't assigned to the gas usage on my IHD.

I do however still get charged the 27p daily charge on both meters, it's just that only the standing charge on the electric is shown on my IHD.

As an example if I use no gas at all on a specific day, the gas display on my IHD is displayed as 0 where as before the 27p charge used to be shown.

On the other hand if I use 3 kWh of gas, which is approx 10p, it just is displayed as 10p not 37p which is what used to happen !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think that has to be an error in the tariff data uploaded to your on-site Communications Hub@MikeE .

Alternatively it’s a bug in the code being run on that Comms Hub.

@Eva_OVO can you raise a ticket on this?

Or do you refer it to Ben and the SMETS Engineering Team?

Userlevel 4

I think that has to be an error in the tariff data uploaded to your on-site Communications Hub@MikeE .

Alternatively it’s a bug in the code being run on that Comms Hub.

@Eva_OVOcan you raise a ticket on this?

Or do you refer it to Ben and the SMETS Engineering Team?

The gas tariff charge always used to be shown, it is only relatively recently that it has stopped being shown.

It may be a coincidence but since this has happened any 'missing' daily usage data corrects itself !?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the info - really helpful. 

So we’re talking purely about what’s showing up on the IHD@MikeE - rather then your online account ? It would be good to see if others aren’t seeing the gas standing charges on their IHDs but a bit more info might be really helpful!

I’m going to suggest you get some account specific help from our support team as well, FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!