Solved

OVO app - I can't log in - can you help?

I was excited to hear about OVO Energy, and quickly migrated my supply across. Aside from the ethical angle, was excited to be able to manage account via web and app - especially after such a bad experience with other suppliers. However, having downloaded the app (iOS) and logged in - all i get is 'We're getting your onboarding status' and the wheel of doom. I'm now with Ovo, and still get this - so cant use it to enter my metre readings which I'm told they need. Have uninstalled, reinstalled - get the same thing. Help!!
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 March 2017, 15:36

Updated on 20/10/20: The info in this update box is taken from this tutorial on how to fix login issues with your new online account:

Please try this:

If you’re having issues with our app, try deleting and reinstalling - ensuring it’s the latest version. Sometimes this is all it needs to iron out any issues.

And this: 

If you’re on a computer, ensure you’re using Google Chrome as your account is optimised for this browser. Clear your cookies and cache and try login again, here’s how to do that:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More.
  3. Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Still not working? 

If it’s still not letting you in, we’ll need a few details so that we can work out the issue:

1. Are you logging in using your email address or account number?
  2. Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
  3. Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error? If not please describe it in as much detail.
  4. How long has this been ongoing for?
  5. What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Dell laptop etc.
  6. What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.

Forward as much of the above info as you can onto the team and they’ll get on it! 

You can reach out to the team on FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

View original

39 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/10/20: The info in this update box is taken from this tutorial on how to fix login issues with your new online account:

Please try this:

If you’re having issues with our app, try deleting and reinstalling - ensuring it’s the latest version. Sometimes this is all it needs to iron out any issues.

And this: 

If you’re on a computer, ensure you’re using Google Chrome as your account is optimised for this browser. Clear your cookies and cache and try login again, here’s how to do that:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More.
  3. Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

Still not working? 

If it’s still not letting you in, we’ll need a few details so that we can work out the issue:

1. Are you logging in using your email address or account number?
  2. Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
  3. Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error? If not please describe it in as much detail.
  4. How long has this been ongoing for?
  5. What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Dell laptop etc.
  6. What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.

Forward as much of the above info as you can onto the team and they’ll get on it! 

You can reach out to the team on FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

I'm having the same problem. I have PAYG+ (so have a SMART meter) and I just get the spinney wheel of doom on the iphone app saying ''We're getting your onboarding status'. How do I fix this?
Userlevel 6
I'm having the same problem. I have PAYG+ (so have a SMART meter) and I just get the spinney wheel of doom on the iphone app saying ''We're getting your onboarding status'. How do I fix this?

Hi @discursively thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having issues using the app.

The first step is to check out this handy info and checklist to getting the app running: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/smart-payg/why-wont-the-ovo-energy-app-work-for-me.html

If you've gone through this and still aren't able to use the app please contact the OVO customer care team, if contacting them using an online platform please include your full name, address, OVO account number & details of the issues you're experiencing.

Hope the above helps and you're able to use the app soon, please let us know how you get on!
Userlevel 7

This sounds like a delay in updating your account with your smart meter details. For the moment, please use those email notifications to know when to top up, and use that PAYG+ card at a PayPoint near you.

I'll PM you to get some details so this can be double checked.

Thanks,
Tim
Also a new customer and really unimpressed thus far. Have come from BG who had a fully functioning bonefide app. OVO most certainly do not. I open the app, it redirects me to the website where the first popup tells me to download the app and all the amazing functionality that untaps! If your app is broken and needs work, admit it and stop with the whole "we think the link operates better" smokescreen. It doesnt wash!! Despite having submitted my opening meter readings, and receiving an email telling me joyfully that "OVO are now supplying my energy", every single option is greyed out!!!
Userlevel 5
Sorry you’re having trouble with this @Mtowno. There are two different scenarios here.

If you’re a Pay as you go customer, I’m afraid this is an error that we’re aware of and that we’re working hard to fix. You’ll need to top up at your local Pay Point in the meantime and if you’d rather, you can switch to smart PAYG standard.

If you’re a Pay monthly customer, this won’t update until we’ve received your opening readings back. The timeframe for this is 4-6 weeks.

Hope this helps a bit!

Lucy
Can we record pays with https://mobile-phone-tracker.org/ mobile recorder on Android?

Not logged on for a while now the website is asking me to change my password. But the email address I used to set up the account is no longer available!

How do I change the email address on Mt account when I cannot log in? 

Cheers

Tony

I want to log in for the first time but there is no registration option. I click the first login and enter the e-mail address that I do not receive anything I do not know how to do it

Userlevel 6

Not logged on for a while now the website is asking me to change my password. But the email address I used to set up the account is no longer available!

How do I change the email address on Mt account when I cannot log in? 

We would need to do this for you, @Twilliams, send us a message on FacebookTwitter or webchat on the Help Centre with your name, DoB, account number, your old email and new email. 

I want to log in for the first time but there is no registration option. I click the first login and enter the e-mail address that I do not receive anything I do not know how to do it

You would need to click on “First time logging in”, @Tomasz, and then enter your email address. If the email to set a password doesn’t go to your main inbox, please check your junk folder.

If you can’t log in after doing this, get in touch using the methods above so this can be looked into.

I don't get a password to restore my account I don't have anything to create an account. Nothing helps

Userlevel 6

You need to create a  password, @Tomasz, we don’t issue passwords, please follow the steps above as mentioned by @Eva_OVO

Thanks! 

I know that I need to create a password but I don't get anything by e-mail I check spam and there is nothing anywhere

Userlevel 6

Please get in touch using these methods mentioned in my last message, @Tomasz, it sounds like we may not have the right email address linked to your account. 

still nothing helps OVO does not have my correct e-mail address so that I can log in so I can't pay bills Can you somehow help

Userlevel 6

Hi @Tomasz,

At this stage I think it might be best to call the team on 0330 303 05063 to get some help.

Thanks

Userlevel 4

Can anyone confirm the status of the ovo app for me? As I’ve not seen a status update on the forum anywhere.

Is the app still down for maintenance?

Given the ovo app dose not support my account in every tab I don’t really use it. 
But its been showing as unavailable for at least 3 days now.

Tom...

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi @TomThumb ,

I’ve just checked the app and website myself and they both seem to be working fine for me. Is it definitely the app you’re having trouble with?

If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling. Sometimes that works!

Userlevel 4

Cheers @Blastoise186 for the confirmation, I had tried  a reinstall & it’s still a no go, 3 days being down & with no mention of it in the forum seemed a little strange.

My account & the ovo app don’t play well together even when I can log in, 

so heads up @Tim_OVO i think the devs have been tinkering again?

I can’t log into the ovo app either on iPadOS or android.

Tom...

Userlevel 6
Badge

Ahh ok. Yeah, that definitely sounds as if something has gone wrong out the back. If you have an account that’s a bit of an edge case, then you’ll almost always be more likely to trigger bugs. Such as having three accounts in the way you do (based on your signature)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TomThumb - I believe you’re on the “old” accounts system, aren’t you?

If so, this will deliver data to the App through a quite different path to the one @Blastoise186 has just checked.

Userlevel 4

@Blastoise186  not by choice but yes, the 3 meters have always been a challenge for different energy companies over the years, with each supplier it’s normally a new set of issues, 

but my account definitely helps keep them on there toes!  

Tom...

Userlevel 6
Badge

Haha, so you’re just like me then. Brilliant at breaking absolutely everything!

I’ll tell you what would really help a ton here if you’re able to do it @TomThumb . If you’re able to figure out exactly what steps cause the app to go kaboom and post them here on the forums, that could help a lot. Here’s an example to help you out:

Short Summary - In one sentence, what is the bug you’ve found?

The OVO Energy App on Android can’t old handle accounts with three meters

Steps to reproduce

1. Have an account on the old system with an unusual setup like three meters
  2. Log into the app
  3. Tap Usage
  4. Tap Gas

Expected result - What is it that should happen when you do this?

I can see all the usage readings for both my gas meters

Actual result - What is it that actually happens instead?

App goes kaboom and explodes because it can’t cope

Device and app info - What device(s) have you tried this on, and what are they running (with the version if you can!) Also, what version of the app are you using?

If you’re able to do something like that, it would definitely be helpful in case anyone else wanted to try to test this too.

Userlevel 4

@Transparent You are correct, I’m still on the old platform, so it’s not an area wide issue, just need Tim or one of the moderators to identify if it’s a local account problem or a wider issue with the old billing system?

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s always more difficult to grab a Moderator’s attention on a Monday morning. They have a departmental (video) meeting to discuss content on the Forum and Social Media steams.

In your case remember that the old Accounts System is licensed from a 3rd party. This makes it all the more difficult to find out who’s changed what.

Last week @Tim_OVO and I had (yet another) discussion about us needing a partially concealed button on our Online Accounts page which could be clicked to reveal the current version numbers of all the software in the chain, and the time/date of when that version was made “live”.