Online account daily usage feature change - share your feedback and a picture!

• 24 September 2020
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 7

This topic is about your Online account usage section. If you have questions about this online account, we have a whole forum area dedicated to it!

We want you to share your thoughts and feedback with us, as we tweak and improve this feature.

The latest daily usage chart (changed as of the 23rd September 2020) looks like this:

What do you think of the removal of the line graph comparison? 

Share your pic, feedback, report any bugs whilst you’re at it!

Please see this topic if you have usage graph issues with a smart meter: a summary of a common issue is that smart meter half hourly meter readings when missed (due to communication drop outs with your smart meter) can cause the chart to look different. The usage data is sent to us x number of hours or days later, and the usage for that period is averaged out. 

See this topic if you have consistent communication issues with your SMETS2 Aclara or Honeywell smart meter. See this topic if you have communication issues with your Secure smart meter. 

67 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi everyone, 

I had a meeting with @Transparent yesterday (I still need to see your latest post on your usage graph, it’s on my list), where we discussed the online account usage graphs, changes being made by developers, forum members providing examples of issues, and the disconnect between the two. I will do my best (either today or early next week) to propose closer cooperation to allow issues, changes and causes to be linked together more effectively. 

In the meantime, we have an update for users of the online account on their mobile:

Orion mobile usage display

Orion members accessing online accounts via mobile phone will now see one vertical chart displaying their consumption on the Usage page. This has replaced tables and graphs. You can switch between gas/elec and kWh/£ on the chart with the Energy Settings toggles

You’ll still be able to view comparisons between months and years as a table using comparison buttons below the chart.

This is being rolled out gradually so some members may still see the old version. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Tim_OVO & @Jequinlan  

I can confirm that the free upgrade to OVO Beyond was only applicable to accounts where members were previously paying for the Green Energy add-on. Members who were receiving the Green Energy add-on for free as part of EV Everywhere will not receive the free upgrade to OVO Beyond.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVOwrote:

that would conflict with @Transparent’s theory of it being software related.

No it wouldn’t!

There are three locations where our data is affected by software apart from the Billing System:

1. Code sent to our sites by OVO; either within the Comms Hub, or one of the meters
  2. The sanity-checks and encryption processes used within DCC. Perhaps not all of OVO’s commands are within an acceptable format, or the protocols aren’t being properly implemented.
  3. The uSmart software which OVO uses as the interface between the Billing suites and DCC; once again, is uSmart rejecting commands or data-packets which are improperly formed and no re-try attempt is being made? Are error messages being correctly handled?

Us customers don’t know enough about these systems to investigate further. But in light of the extensive feedback we’re providing, I would hope that the S2 Engineers can home in on the likely areas of suspicious code.

Userlevel 7

@Ash_OVO do you know the relationship between EV Everywhere customers on V2G trial, green add on and OVO Beyond? I would’ve thought @Jequinlan would’ve been upgraded on the 1st October when we went 100% renewable…..

@TomThumb that would conflict with @Transparent’s theory of it being software related. Unless they both have the same issue simply as a coincidence….

Userlevel 4

@TomThumb and @Transparent as you’re on different billing platforms it might complicate things to try and find the same diagnosis. 

To apply a different thought process,

Given that 2 different billing platforms are involved, yet the displayed data is surprisingly similar, 
It is therefore plausible that any issues with missing data & is not purely down to the new billing system.

Tom...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO no, i dont have beyone and its still being marketed to me to upgrade!

Userlevel 7

@Jequinlan that screenshot from a web chat is referring to the Green add on, which gave you 100% renewable and tree planting perks, and in October, members with the Green add on were upgraded to OVO Beyond. So you should therefore have OVO Beyond, and therefor insights. Can you let me know what shows in this section of your online account

@TomThumb and @Transparent as you’re on different billing platforms it might complicate things to try and find the same diagnosis. 

Sorry for doubting your area’s mobile WAN coverage, @Transparent - in fact you’re boosting the signal of those around you. A community legend in every send of the word!

This however doesn’t help me with a quick win of blaming poor signal. I’ll be having a scroll of this thread and trying to see from your screenshots a patter of data drop outs. It might be best if you could also report this to our Support team if you haven’t already. The more examples of usage data issues on our ‘case’ list, the higher a priority it becomes…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVOwrote:

Also@Transparent have you mentioned your elec SMETS2 meter using the MESH network to connect? Is this not required in instances of poor signal?

I haven’t assumed that I have an SKU2 because my site requires it. I’m on top of a hill with reasonable line-of-sight to two Telefonica transmitters.

I thought I was given an SKU2 with Mesh networking capability because I can act as a relay for about 40+ houses in a couple of valleys beyond my hill. It’s for their benefit that I have Mesh.

Within OVO you can verify this by asking the S2 engineers to show you the Coverage Checker database. I don’t have access to this myself.

I have nothing else to suggest that my site has poor WAN connectivity.

On the contrary, the symptoms I’m reporting are no less likely to be down to software errors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@TomThumbwrote:

The 4th - 11th on the monthly view are identical, but the 4th - 11th on the daily view are varied & looks like it could be actual usage.

Yes. That’s exactly the pattern that I’ve been reporting for the past 3-4months.

My theory is:

A: the Month-histogram only gets supplied with a reading from a particular memory location in the Comms Hub which gets populated at midnight.

The 48 HH readings for the day are collected from another memory location, whether they have been populated or not.

So if the Midnight reading is missing, the month-histogram can display nothing, even though you can still find a substantial proportion of the HH readings for that day on the day-histogram.

B: Eventually a day arises when the system retrieves a Midnight reading. The Billing Software apportions this total across all the days when it didn’t receive a Midnight reading.

So the Month-histogram displays a series of days with usage which is apparently identical.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Learned a few things (that need confirming @Tim_OVO ) , logged with support, and am confused!

Userlevel 4

Although my usage stats are not as bad these days.

I thought I would share a snippet from my stats, viewed by Day / Week / Month from the 7th July, with close to a 40% difference in kWh of reported usage.

The 4th - 11th on the monthly view are identical, but the 4th - 11th on the daily view are varied & looks like it could be actual usage.

Taken from a timeframe when my smart meters were actually being smart & supplying data to ovo.

Userlevel 7

Let’s piece this together, get some ideas and theories, test them against the data, and send our hypothesis to the software devs. :robot:

@Transparent see these images you shared earlier in the thread: 

These are examples of data drop outs on the HH. The most likely cause of this is that the reads aren’t getting to us…..

Also @Transparent have you mentioned your elec SMETS2 meter using the MESH network to connect? Is this not required in instances of poor signal?

This (if correct) makes a comms drop out at around midnight very possible. 

@Jequinlan’s situation seems more extreme. Zero gas HH usage being recorded, and (unless I’m mistaken?) no comm/HAN issues indicated via the smart meter health checks. That’s a puzzler...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim wrote:

Half hourly usage data last thing at night indicates good comms at that time, showing that a daily reading was able to be sent. 

Just let’s think about that for a moment...

What Comms at my site are you thinking is problematic?

When my Comms Hub is polled in the wee small hours and HH data is collected, why is the total for the day also not retrieved?

Are we suggesting that the WAN often just happens to fail before that one byte is transferred?!

Or are you thinking about the HAN comms failing?

If so, then we are to believe that the Comms Hub is sometimes unable to obtain readings from the gas meter across Zigbee, whilst at other times failing to retrieve data from the electricity meter to which it is physically attached by the IHCI. :scream:

Neither is credible.

It’s much more likely that there are software errors at work here.

Someone in the Dev-team actually needs to examine the data packet you’re obtaining for me from uSmart’s BOL and see what is in the fields where this “missing data” should be.

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO Cheers for the update, not the answer I was hoping for, but at least there’s some hope further down the line to get this implemented.
Although with the limited number of accounts this feature would benefit, i am doubtful it is high on the priority list.

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thoughts:-

a: In less than an hour I will have a major power-outage, so I need to be brief!

b: Look back a week ago to see what started this 7-days of usage-reporting:

So I’ve proved the case, haven’t I?

c: There are clearly errors in the Month-data, and yet this is used for Billing. That’s serious.

Other Topics which bear this out are on the increase.

d: I believe that the Communications Hubs are separately storing the data used for the Month-Usage than the HH-readings. Bizarrely I think this occurs even for the final reading of the day, ending at midnight.

I cannot (yet) conclusively prove this from my data. But the balance of probabilities suggests that there are two memory locations used for the reading at midnight. Location A is the final reading in the set of 48 HH readings for that day. Location B is the same figure, but used solely for the compilation of the monthly-usage chart (and hence for billing).

There is no correlation between the two sets of data within OVO’s software. There is no sanity-check to see if the sum of the HH readings is equal to the total for the day in Location B.

Userlevel 7

Questions (working progress):

1 - How can I tell why I can’t see any half hourly gas usage data on my online account usage section? Will it always be due to smart comm drop outs? Status: Known issue

1 - This has been raised as an issue for several accounts which have gas meters fully in communication with half hourly readings, and was raised earlier in the year. As of yesterday it was diagnosed as a data issue ‘upstream’ of the usage display. A fix is being worked on. 

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: solved

2 - I’ve confirmed this morning that the new billing account currently can’t support multiple supplies per fuel (G and E), with this change being part of the road map of improvements. 

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: solved

3 - I’ve confirmed that there might be scenarios where the daily readings do not make it onto the usage section, despite HH readings being available for that day. Although they’ve not seen an example of this yet, they’ve seen the opposite, with HH data missing but the daily reading being sent. 

However they advise that they would need to look at this on an individual basis to make sure. Can you raise this with the web chat team here?

4 - Why does the half hourly show the kWh usage readings to 3 decimal places but daily usage to only 2  places? Status: solved

4 - More granularity is provided at a HHly level as the energy use is much smaller than at a daily or monthly level. The feedback is that most customers aren't interested in this level of detail when looking at their usage data across days or months.

5 - Can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the particular page on the portal? Status: solved

5 - We have this feature (downloads of usage data) planned and in our ‘road map’, but working on other feature improvements first. In the meantime there is a customer-led initiative to allow this. See this topic for more info! 

6 - Why do horizontal bars usage comparison now show? Status: solved

6 - This was a visual design change that was implemented last week, following advice about line/bar chart customer feedback. We’re collecting feedback on these changes

Userlevel 7

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: solved

Hi @TomThumb 

I’ve confirmed this morning that the new billing account currently can’t support multiple supplies per fuel (G and E), with this change being part of the road map of improvements. 

I've heard we have a few hundred customers in this position, with you being one of them. 

Userlevel 7

This is excellent feedback and a very interesting use case for a meter without great comms! :blush:

So I can see a pattern emerging here.

What does or doesn’t get reported on our Online Usage graphs depends on whether there was a reading available for the last half-hour of the day.

This backs up what our software engineers confirmed earlier in this thread, does it not? That the monthly chart needs the reading taken at midnight for any usage to be populated in the monthly chart, even if there’s some half hourly data available for that day. 

Half hourly usage data last thing at night indicates good comms at that time, showing that a daily reading was able to be sent. 

Thoughts on this welcome.….. :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update on Monday 12th; with feedback on Usage for 11th Oct:

Electricity and Gas readings have been collected overnight once more: :slight_smile:

monthly chart; electricity up to 11th Oct
monthly chart; gas up to 11th Oct

Interestingly, I have never before seen electricity readings apportioned like this across the days for which data wasn’t collected.

So I’ve looked at the HH-charts for those four days. The data for the 7th hasn’t changed from what I’ve previously posted here - just one reading at midnight.

8th & 9th still declare “No electricity data available”.

Sat 10th has 47 out of 48 possible HH readings

and Sunday 11th has a full set of 48:-

Turning attention to gas: 7th-10th still say “No gas data available”.

And the HH gas readings seem to have started again on Sunday afternoon:

So I can see a pattern emerging here.

What does or doesn’t get reported on our Online Usage graphs depends on whether there was a reading available for the last half-hour of the day.

I’m assuming that the Dev-Team now has enough feedback to start looking at this and making sensible decisions for a way forward.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Latest update being posted Sunday 11th Oct.

The Month-charts show:

• no electricity data collected for 7-10th inclusive
  • no gas data collected for 6-10th inclusive

Apart from one electricity HH reading in the graph above, all of the HH-graphs for these days show “No electricity data available” or “No gas data available”.

That should get the Dev-Team something to get their teeth into next week.

I clearly can’t continue to report erroneous readings if there’s no longer any data being collected by OVO which we can analyse. :frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update on Fri 09oct20:

The Month-histogram shows no readings successfully collected for electricity or gas for the past two nights:

The HH chart for Electricity has just one reading for 7th.

This demonstrates that it is possible to have HH readings for either Electricity or Gas despite no data being shown on the Month-charts which are being used for Billing.

There is no data shown for the Gas HH charts of 7th & 8th, and no HH data for Electricity on 8th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

… see what this graph looks like for the rest of the week

Sure. Here’s today’s update.

There is no additional bar on the Month graph for Tues 6th.

However the Day graph has some readings, until it gave up at 04:30

I have a new hypothesis:

Perhaps the Month graph only shows a histogram bar if the SMETS_read command returns a value for the last HH period of the day, ending midnight.

Userlevel 7

Thanks you @TomThumb - I have asked the question and will report back next week with their response. 

@Transparent thank you, Monday usage looks wrong indeed. Let’s use you as a use case, see what this graph looks like for the rest of the week (pictures here please), and then I’ll personally raise the ‘case’ with our devs for a diagnosis on Monday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And 24hrs later, @Tim_OVO, here’s another strange usage graph for gas.

Early this morning my readings were collected, so this enabled the gas records to be collected where there had been failures on Sat/Sun 3rd/4th Oct, in addition to the usage for Monday:

Something is clearly wrong. If weekend use was that high, then why should Monday be less than 10% of each of the previous two days? The weather was consistently poor and temperatures similar across all three days.

So if I look at the HH usage graph for yesterday (Monday), I should be able to see how that meagre 6kWh was spread across the day:

So one of those histograms is untrue. The 6kW total on the Month-chart bears no relationship to usage throughout the day.

The HH histogram looks right to me. The profile matches what I would expect for my house with a thermal store and a solar-collector.

We should remember that the monthly histogram is used for billing. Thus it comes under the Ofgem regulations, requiring accuracy of information. I don’t think it achieves that.

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO  Thank you for not giving up.

I can confirm 2 separate gas meters, each with there own mprn,  1 smart & 1 dumb,  

As it stands at the moment, on the web / app I can view usage statistics relating to my gas smart meter, but nowhere can I view usage stats from my dumb gas meter. (nothing to even suggest I have 2 gas meters via the usage section) not forgetting my usage data via the app started reporting incorrect data about the same time as Ovo updated the way usage data is displayed)

The Ovo app / meters tab has my dumb meter listed,  but all meter readings are from my smart meter.

Slightly better via my Ovo on the web / meter readings, has a drop down tab, so I can switch between my 2 gas meters, so I can at least view my dumb gas meter reading history, but again no indication in the usage tab that I have 2 gas meters. I know my dumb meter would  only display a basic usage tally per month, but at the moment, I don’t even get that data.

If you can do a little digging Tim, As I am still on the old billing platform, will I have usage stats for both gas meters after I migrate to the new billing system?

Or is it that my 2 gas meters + 1 electric are preventing the move onto the new system?

(off topic, I’m sure my billing issues are because of my 3 meters)

For reference, I have 2 large gas heating boilers, In the past it was deemed that the combined draw on both boilers would be to high for a single meter, hence the 2 meters. The large distance between the dumb meter & the comms unit is the reason I am not able to upgrade it to a smart meter.

Tom...