Online account daily usage feature change - share your feedback and a picture!

• 24 September 2020
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 7

This topic is about your Online account usage section. If you have questions about this online account, we have a whole forum area dedicated to it!

We want you to share your thoughts and feedback with us, as we tweak and improve this feature.

The latest daily usage chart (changed as of the 23rd September 2020) looks like this:

What do you think of the removal of the line graph comparison? 

Share your pic, feedback, report any bugs whilst you’re at it!

Please see this topic if you have usage graph issues with a smart meter: a summary of a common issue is that smart meter half hourly meter readings when missed (due to communication drop outs with your smart meter) can cause the chart to look different. The usage data is sent to us x number of hours or days later, and the usage for that period is averaged out. 

See this topic if you have consistent communication issues with your SMETS2 Aclara or Honeywell smart meter. See this topic if you have communication issues with your Secure smart meter. 

67 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is how mine looks:

It is quite a noticeable rise year on year!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

As a note: I cannot get a show for my gas it says “No data to display” !

Userlevel 7

WHAT?!?!? @Jequinlan we need to work this out!

Since when? Are the meter readings online for the gas meter? If not, we need you to do one of those smart meter health checks:

See this topic if you have consistent communication issues with your SMETS2 Aclara or Honeywell smart meter. See this topic if you have communication issues with your Secure smart meter. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO  as a new OvO customer lot of averaging in my usage history.

The actuals started appearing from 10th September when energy switch was on 28th June, so it took over 2.5 months for the data to be sent from SMETS to my online account.

This is from an android device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

WHAT?!?!? @Jequinlan we need to work this out!

Since when? Are the meter readings online for the gas meter? If not, we need you to do one of those smart meter health checks:

See this topic if you have consistent communication issues with your SMETS2 Aclara or Honeywell smart meter. See this topic if you have communication issues with your Secure smart meter. 

The usage shows at day level but not HH for Gas (if this isn't supposed to work, why does the UI allow it!)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO  as a new OvO customer lot of averaging in my usage history.

The actuals started appearing from 10th September when energy switch was on 28th June, so it took over 2.5 months for the data to be sent from SMETS to my online account.

This is from an android device.

I am assuming you don’t have a pure EV? as I think this explains 2 clearly different usage levels!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jequinlan been driving leaf for over 5+ years now.

It is just the EV usage is rather limited and erratic. My primary car (hybrid) is rarely used. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Apologies I meant to say V2G enabled EV :)

Userlevel 4

Just to add my experience to this thread. (a possible knock affect from the change)

This is from the Ovo app.

Only joined Ovo in March, so I expected Jan-Feb to show empty fields,

but what is the data coverage Sep-Dec

Is this data a actual or estimated? are the values KWh?

on a side note, I have 2 gas meters, 1 smart 1 dumb, so is my data usage for both meters? or just 1? 

For info, I am currently on the old billing platform & I have not noticed any change in appearance to the usage data via the web, it is just the Ovo app that I have noticed a big change for the worse.

Userlevel 7

Only joined Ovo in March, so I expected Jan-Feb to show empty fields,

but what is the data coverage Sep-Dec

Is this data a actual or estimated? are the values KWh?

on a side note, I have 2 gas meters, 1 smart 1 dumb, so is my data usage for both meters? or just 1? 

For info, I am currently on the old billing platform & I have not noticed any change in appearance to the usage data via the web, it is just the Ovo app that I have noticed a big change for the worse.

@TomThumb this usage section is giving me a headache, and I must say I’m not up to speed with old billing platform’s usage section.

We’ve made changes to the new billing platform’s usage section, but I don’t think you’d be effected.

The numbers, they can’t be kWh or £ can they? Can you select ‘Need more information’ and ‘Usage section not looking right to you?’ and see if we can get a bit more info? Not very helpful from me, I must say, but we’ll get there. 

Any other bits of feedback from members with a new usage section? Our devs are waiting to hear from you!  

Userlevel 7

I’ve now been asked for a list of questions with which to send to the developers working on the online account’s usage section. This is an opportunity to get some answers! 

@Jequinlan this will be one of my questions

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Question 1: why allow a half hourly gas button on graph if there is no data to display.

Userlevel 7

Questions (working progress):

1 - How can I tell why I can’t see any half hourly gas usage data on my online account usage section? Will it always be due to smart comm drop outs? Status: Known issue

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: question asked

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: solved

4 - Why does the half hourly show the kWh usage readings to 3 decimal places but daily usage to only 2  places? Status: question asked

5 - Can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the particular page on the portal? Status: solved

6 - Why do horizontal bars usage comparison now show? Status: solved

Userlevel 7

Please post your questions or anything you think is a bug relating to the online account usage section below and I’ll pass this on to our software engineers who are building and improving it…. @Neilupnorth @MajorSqueeze @MikeE @TheBatsWhiskers @Transparent @ambience @Transparent 

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO  Not quite on topic but relevant.

In the current state of play, I have 1 usage graph for gas, but I have 2 gas meters. (1 smart, 1 dumb) & I am also still on the old billing system.

If or when my account gets migrated over to the new system, will the usage section incorporate a separate view of my 2 gas meters, a basic month to month history for the dumb meter along with all the smart meter data?

Because currently I have no usage data relating to my 2nd gas supply, 

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OK. So I’m spotting a number of erroneous “features” in the Usage reporting this month, particularly on Gas. Here’s my Sept histogram:

1: The daily total was not collected on 11 days (incl last night, 28th), resulting in the usage being evenly apportioned across those days (red lined).

2: The days when I appear to have been exporting to the National Gas Network immediately follow periods where there is missing data. This may just be a coincidence.

3: A day reported as a net gas export does still contain HH data:

4: A day for which the Daily Total has not been collected does still contain HH data:

5:   In the light of increased costs, I will be raising the price per kWh of my gas export contribution your Carbon Zero target. :wink:

Userlevel 1

@Tim_OVO  thanks for the effort you are putting into this.

Bug: Half hourly gas readings have not been available on the web portal since 20th August, so nearly 6 weeks now.  As an aside my half hourly electricity data wasn’t available for Sunday 27th September, but full day usage was.  It is available for 28th so one day only.  A glitch perhaps, but with so many people having no data available issues it shows the unreliability of the smart meter technology (I include any server software used by OVO in this).

Annoyance: Why does the half hourly show the kWh usage readings to 3 decimal places but full day usage to only 2  places, particularly as the data is stored to at least 3 places.  The answer will probably be along the lines of, “We use the same table fomat as the cost which of course is only to 2 places, so it is truncated at the second decimal.” 

Request: I’ve made this before via the feed back, but can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the partcular page on the portal?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t like the current method of displaying a comparison with a previous month/year.

The use of horizontal bars doesn’t provide an intuitive measure of the usage, which is actually the area beneath the “curve”.

I would prefer the current reading to remain static (shown as a histogram) and the previous reading being compared with to appear as a lighter solid area behind it, thus:

comparing gas usage in May (histogram) against April, in the background

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the posts above, I’ll be looking at these proposing a question (s) from these, to send to our developers. 

In the meantime, @Jequinlan @TheBatsWhiskers I have an update on question 1:

1 - How can I tell why I can’t see any half hourly gas usage data on my online account usage section? Will it always be due to smart comm drop outs? Status: Known issue

1 - This has been raised as an issue for several accounts which have gas meters fully in communication with half hourly readings, and was raised earlier in the year. As of yesterday it was diagnosed as a data issue ‘upstream’ of the usage display. A fix is being worked on. 

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: question asked

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: question asked

4 - Why does the half hourly show the kWh usage readings to 3 decimal places but daily usage to only 2  places? Status: question asked

5 - Can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the particular page on the portal? Status: question asked

6 - Why do horizontal bars usage comparison now show? Status: solved

6 - This was a visual design change that was implemented last week, following advice about line/bar chart customer feedback. We’re collecting feedback on these changes and your feedback has been passed on, @Transparent 

I find the usage bar graphs very useful but today I find that the graph for my Gas usage has suddenly gone crazy . In particular it is overstating April, May and June usage  by large factors

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That sounds weird, @Steve77 … but it might account for where all my gas exports went! :wink:

Any chance of a screenshot to show us what you’re seeing?

(Don’t include personal information such as your account number!)

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @Steve77 

Below I’ve outlined a known issue with the gas usage graph, but I’d love a picture from you and a bit more info. You’ve stated that the months of April, May and June have changed and have now overstated your usage? Does this correlate with the meter readings you can see? 

1 - This has been raised as an issue for several accounts which have gas meters fully in communication with half hourly readings, and was raised earlier in the year. As of yesterday it was diagnosed as a data issue ‘upstream’ of the usage display. A fix is being worked on. 

Userlevel 7

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: question asked

@Transparent I’m in discussion with our devs about this now. Usually negative consumption indicates an overestimate, being corrected with an actual. Likewise averaged out usage indicates a previous estimate being replaced. But in your case, you can see half hourly usage data for the days in question… is this correct? Does this include the days leading up to the negative consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, I can view HH data for days where the monthly graph (above) shows that OVO’s system has needed to apportion usage across 2 or more days.

Here are HH graphs for three of those days last month:

Can your Dev-Team not see this?

Or do they just like viewing my annotations when I post here?!

Thanks for posting, @Steve77 

Below I’ve outlined a known issue with the gas usage graph, but I’d love a picture from you and a bit more info. You’ve stated that the months of April, May and June have changed and have now overstated your usage? Does this correlate with the meter readings you can see? 

Note that I don’t have a smart meter.  So I don’t see any half-hour usage. On the Ovo website I see only monthly usage for  my Gas and Electric .  Whilst the graphs and KwH displayed seem to have been accurate in the past,  I now suddenly find they are grossly over-displaying my Gas usage especially for some months of the current year.  April 2020 for example shows about 10 x  my typical monthly usage.

Screenshot attached.