Online account daily usage feature change - share your feedback and a picture!

• 24 September 2020
  • 67 replies

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow! That’s astonishing @Steve77 :scream:

Is this just erroneous data in your Usage histograms?

Or were you being billed for this quantity too?!

Oops! I was confusing myself. Looking at the monthly usage bar chart again, EVERY month is erroneous including last year, and most months are showing the KwH too LOW compared with my monthly bills.  So this bar chart is totally useless to me at the moment

Userlevel 7

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: issue identified

Thanks for that info above, @Transparent 

I’ve confirmed that there might be scenarios where the daily readings do not make it onto the usage section, despite HH readings being available for that day. Although they’ve not seen an example of this yet, they’ve seen the opposite, with HH data missing but the daily reading being sent. 

However they advise that they would need to look at this on an individual basis to make sure. Can you raise this with the web chat team here?

Userlevel 7

Oops! I was confusing myself. Looking at the monthly usage bar chart again, EVERY month is erroneous including last year, and most months are showing the KwH too LOW compared with my monthly bills.  So this bar chart is totally useless to me at the moment

Hi @Steve77 and thanks for feeding back to us so quickly. 

It does make things tricky when you don’t have a smart meter. How good at you with submitting readings? 

Have you considered going smart

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

While we’re trying to work out where the issue is, @Steve77 , may I suggest you check that the MPRN and Gas Meter Serial Number on your meter-labeling match those which you’ll find on the Plan-page of your OVO Online Account?

Cross check this by putting your address into the Find My Supplier website, which enables you to check against Xoserve, the National Database.

It wouldn’t be the first time that an Energy Supplier is effectively invoicing for the wrong meter. It’s happened to me about 10 years ago.

Userlevel 7

Next on my ‘badger the developers for an answer’ list:

Can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the particular page on the portal? Status: Solved

We have this feature (downloads of usage data) planned and in our ‘road map’, but working on other feature improvements first. In the meantime there is a customer-led initiative to allow this. See this topic for more info! 

:wolf:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO the api program i am working on with a friend will deliver exactly this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVO- as you’re not a programmer, can I point out that a crucial part of how such data might be exported in a CSV file is to decide what to do when a piece of data is

• missing
  • estimated
  • interpolated

You obviously can’t just report zero for missing data because that is itself a valid entry.

It is sometimes the case that programmers insert -1  but negatives may need to be reserved for use when corrections are required to previous over-estimates.

Even that is tricky because it assumes that OVO will always report electricity Exports separately rather than a negative number.

There is no absolutely correct answer, and it needs discussion (here) rather than just being imposed on us by a staff member on a Friday afternoon!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Transparent not to mention null is not equal to empty and not equal to 0.

Userlevel 7

Questions (working progress):

1 - How can I tell why I can’t see any half hourly gas usage data on my online account usage section? Will it always be due to smart comm drop outs? Status: Known issue

1 - This has been raised as an issue for several accounts which have gas meters fully in communication with half hourly readings, and was raised earlier in the year. As of yesterday it was diagnosed as a data issue ‘upstream’ of the usage display. A fix is being worked on. 

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: question asked

2 - Still pending @TomThumb 

3 - Why do I see identical daily gas usage amounts (indicating missing usage data being averaged out) when I can see half hourly usage data for those days? Same issue for days incorrectly showing negative usage, these days have intra-day usage available?  Status: solved

3 - I’ve confirmed that there might be scenarios where the daily readings do not make it onto the usage section, despite HH readings being available for that day. Although they’ve not seen an example of this yet, they’ve seen the opposite, with HH data missing but the daily reading being sent. 

However they advise that they would need to look at this on an individual basis to make sure. Can you raise this with the web chat team here?

4 - Why does the half hourly show the kWh usage readings to 3 decimal places but daily usage to only 2  places? Status: solved

4 - More granularity is provided at a HHly level as the energy use is much smaller than at a daily or monthly level. The feedback is that most customers aren't interested in this level of detail when looking at their usage data across days or months.

5 - Can the half hourly usage data be made available in a simple csv or tab separated ASCII format for download or an export option be included on the particular page on the portal? Status: solved

5 - We have this feature (downloads of usage data) planned and in our ‘road map’, but working on other feature improvements first. In the meantime there is a customer-led initiative to allow this. See this topic for more info! 

6 - Why do horizontal bars usage comparison now show? Status: solved

6 - This was a visual design change that was implemented last week, following advice about line/bar chart customer feedback. We’re collecting feedback on these changes

Userlevel 7

Thanks @Transparent 

I’ve already made our Kaluza billing platform team know about this very popular API topic, and as of the start of September, it was going to be raised as a team discussion before an update is posted on this community. It fits with their team vision of allowing people to ‘build products’ on the platform. They have also mentioned reaching out to some of you for direct feedback and research.  

I’ve chased them up for an update on this now, so let’s see where we get to next week. Not bad for a Friday afternoon I’d say 

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rolling_eyes::thunder_cloud_rain::cloud_rain::thunder_cloud_rain::cloud_rain::cloud_snow:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVOwrote on Friday 1st Oct

I’ve confirmed that there might be scenarios where the daily readings do not make it onto the usage section, despite HH readings being available for that day. Although they’ve not seen an example of this yet, they’ve seen the opposite, with HH data missing but the daily reading being sent. 

Well someone’s not looking very hard!

I can often find HH data on days where the month-histogram has no reading displayed. Here’s an example which happened for my gas readings over this last weekend, starting with the histogram for October:

And yet here are the HH graphs for each of those days:

Yes, there are data dropouts for both Sat & Sun, but there is still data being recorded.

The reason most customers don’t report this is simply because they can’t click on the histogram bar to view the HH graph for the relevant day.

Instead, you have to click on a previous day’s bar (Fri 2nd in this case) and then press the right-arrow to move forward one day at a time.

Dev-Team owes me two pints of real-ale… one for each day of the weekend. :beer:  :beer:  :yum:

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this, @Transparent 

Yep this is an excellent visual example. Your drop outs happened last thing in the evening, when we’d expect he daily usage to be sent. So it does support the our developer comments about HH and daily readings. 

Can you do us another check when you get a chance, T? Can we look back a few weeks? I want to see if this is being updated retrospectively, for both HH and daily charts. 

@Jequinlan first of all, happy Monday to you! Second, any changes with your gas usage?  Still not available? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Doesn't seem right at all

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim wrote:

Can you do us another check when you get a chance, T? Can we look back a few weeks?

We already have looked back a few weeks @Tim_OVO and I posted the results here, earlier in this same discussion!

It is almost always the case that when your new Billing System is apportioning gas-usage over previous days (because the month-histogram failed to display readings) that the HH readings were indeed present on the day-graph, and could’ve been used.

To me it seems obvious that the correct strategy is for the Month-graph to populate the usage for that day from the last available HH figure.

The meter readings are always cumulative. There’s no harm in using the last avail reading because missed readings aren’t a major issue (yet). The invoice can still use the latest meter reading, whether it was obtained at 19:30 from a HH reading, or at midnight from the official “24-hour total”.

Missing readings only become an issue once you want to offer a Time Of Use tariff. That’s why OVO should be Trialing one asap in order to build algorithms which are tolerant of missing readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just to clarify:- the (massive) screenshots that @Jequinlan has just posted from the App are the opposite of what I’m reporting.

John can see the day-total, even when there are no HH readings to be displayed on the graph.

That is correct.

Userlevel 7

2 - Will customers with 2 elec or gas meters be able to see multiple usage sections when on the new online account? Will this apply if they have 1 smart and 1 traditional smart meter Status: question asked

2 - Still pending @TomThumb 

@TomThumb as I’m a dutiful, dedicated and hard working individual, I’m still working on getting an answer to this. 

But our devs are asking questions of your set up. Do you have two separate gas supplies? Each with their own MPRN?

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO  Thank you for not giving up.

I can confirm 2 separate gas meters, each with there own mprn,  1 smart & 1 dumb,  

As it stands at the moment, on the web / app I can view usage statistics relating to my gas smart meter, but nowhere can I view usage stats from my dumb gas meter. (nothing to even suggest I have 2 gas meters via the usage section) not forgetting my usage data via the app started reporting incorrect data about the same time as Ovo updated the way usage data is displayed)

The Ovo app / meters tab has my dumb meter listed,  but all meter readings are from my smart meter.

Slightly better via my Ovo on the web / meter readings, has a drop down tab, so I can switch between my 2 gas meters, so I can at least view my dumb gas meter reading history, but again no indication in the usage tab that I have 2 gas meters. I know my dumb meter would  only display a basic usage tally per month, but at the moment, I don’t even get that data.

If you can do a little digging Tim, As I am still on the old billing platform, will I have usage stats for both gas meters after I migrate to the new billing system?

Or is it that my 2 gas meters + 1 electric are preventing the move onto the new system?

(off topic, I’m sure my billing issues are because of my 3 meters)

For reference, I have 2 large gas heating boilers, In the past it was deemed that the combined draw on both boilers would be to high for a single meter, hence the 2 meters. The large distance between the dumb meter & the comms unit is the reason I am not able to upgrade it to a smart meter.

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And 24hrs later, @Tim_OVO, here’s another strange usage graph for gas.

Early this morning my readings were collected, so this enabled the gas records to be collected where there had been failures on Sat/Sun 3rd/4th Oct, in addition to the usage for Monday:

Something is clearly wrong. If weekend use was that high, then why should Monday be less than 10% of each of the previous two days? The weather was consistently poor and temperatures similar across all three days.

So if I look at the HH usage graph for yesterday (Monday), I should be able to see how that meagre 6kWh was spread across the day:

So one of those histograms is untrue. The 6kW total on the Month-chart bears no relationship to usage throughout the day.

The HH histogram looks right to me. The profile matches what I would expect for my house with a thermal store and a solar-collector.

We should remember that the monthly histogram is used for billing. Thus it comes under the Ofgem regulations, requiring accuracy of information. I don’t think it achieves that.

Userlevel 7

Thanks you @TomThumb - I have asked the question and will report back next week with their response. 

@Transparent thank you, Monday usage looks wrong indeed. Let’s use you as a use case, see what this graph looks like for the rest of the week (pictures here please), and then I’ll personally raise the ‘case’ with our devs for a diagnosis on Monday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

… see what this graph looks like for the rest of the week

Sure. Here’s today’s update.

There is no additional bar on the Month graph for Tues 6th.

However the Day graph has some readings, until it gave up at 04:30

I have a new hypothesis:

Perhaps the Month graph only shows a histogram bar if the SMETS_read command returns a value for the last HH period of the day, ending midnight.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update on Fri 09oct20:

The Month-histogram shows no readings successfully collected for electricity or gas for the past two nights:

The HH chart for Electricity has just one reading for 7th.

This demonstrates that it is possible to have HH readings for either Electricity or Gas despite no data being shown on the Month-charts which are being used for Billing.

There is no data shown for the Gas HH charts of 7th & 8th, and no HH data for Electricity on 8th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Latest update being posted Sunday 11th Oct.

The Month-charts show:

• no electricity data collected for 7-10th inclusive
  • no gas data collected for 6-10th inclusive

Apart from one electricity HH reading in the graph above, all of the HH-graphs for these days show “No electricity data available” or “No gas data available”.

That should get the Dev-Team something to get their teeth into next week.

I clearly can’t continue to report erroneous readings if there’s no longer any data being collected by OVO which we can analyse. :frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update on Monday 12th; with feedback on Usage for 11th Oct:

Electricity and Gas readings have been collected overnight once more: :slight_smile:

monthly chart; electricity up to 11th Oct
monthly chart; gas up to 11th Oct

Interestingly, I have never before seen electricity readings apportioned like this across the days for which data wasn’t collected.

So I’ve looked at the HH-charts for those four days. The data for the 7th hasn’t changed from what I’ve previously posted here - just one reading at midnight.

8th & 9th still declare “No electricity data available”.

Sat 10th has 47 out of 48 possible HH readings

and Sunday 11th has a full set of 48:-

Turning attention to gas: 7th-10th still say “No gas data available”.

And the HH gas readings seem to have started again on Sunday afternoon:

So I can see a pattern emerging here.

What does or doesn’t get reported on our Online Usage graphs depends on whether there was a reading available for the last half-hour of the day.

I’m assuming that the Dev-Team now has enough feedback to start looking at this and making sensible decisions for a way forward.

Userlevel 7

This is excellent feedback and a very interesting use case for a meter without great comms! :blush:

So I can see a pattern emerging here.

What does or doesn’t get reported on our Online Usage graphs depends on whether there was a reading available for the last half-hour of the day.

This backs up what our software engineers confirmed earlier in this thread, does it not? That the monthly chart needs the reading taken at midnight for any usage to be populated in the monthly chart, even if there’s some half hourly data available for that day. 

Half hourly usage data last thing at night indicates good comms at that time, showing that a daily reading was able to be sent. 

Thoughts on this welcome.….. :nerd: