Solved

New to OVO - how to log in to the online account for the first time as I can't find my OVO ID?

• 3 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Hello

My eldery mother has recently switched to Ovo but has struggled to understand what needs to be done and how she can manage her account.  She has had a 15 page pack sent through with a customer number but no Ovo ID (from what I can gather)

How is she able to create an online account so she can check her service and raise queries etc?

As she was getting nowhere with the customer service team she called back to cancel and she was told that she was unable to do so.  Her switch date is the 7th of September so she must be covered by some form of 14 day cooling off period.  That said, she is happy to remain a customer and switch providing she can get to her account.  She doesnt appear to be able to find an OvO ID which the website says is required for registration.

She has a customer ID though

Can anyone help or can customer services explain why she is unable to cancel prior to her switch date?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jequinlan 4 September 2020, 10:15

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 04/07/23 by Tim_OVO: Got issues registering or resetting a password for your OVO app or online account? We’ve made a recent change that might help:

OVO customers should ideally complete these steps in the web portal (online account) first. Once complete, these details will be copied over and available for use in the OVO App.

• Select the option at the bottom of the reset email "open this email in your browser"

This should then allow you to follow the steps as prompted and login into your account.

Please note: This has been extensively tested and in the vast majority of cases will resolve the issue. However, there are still some issues with users of any Microsoft email domains such as Hotmail, Live, Outlook, Microsoft. We are working on the resolution for these customers and will update once a fix is made available.

There may still be issues for other customers with different email domains but these could be related to something else. See the advice below for some ideas to try, and let us know in the comments below if you still have an issue resetting your password. Alternatively our Support team may be able to advise with this. 

How do I sign into the online account?

It’s super easy – you just need the email address you registered when you signed up.

If you have been with us for a while you may also be able to login using your OVO ID.  You’ll find your OVO ID on your welcome letter or email, or at the top of any of your statements. If you have (or have had) multiple accounts with us, you may need to login using your OVO ID rather than your email address.

If you’ve logged in before and already know your password, you’ll only need to do ‘step 1’.

Step 1: Get to your My OVO energy online account

To log in directly, visit https://my.ovoenergy.com/

You can also log in from the OVO homepage – take a look in the top right corner for the menu icon, the option to login will be at the top of this menu.

Step 2: Set up a password

Look underneath the big 'Log in' button. Find the link that says ‘First time logging in?’, and click it.

Step 3: Give your email address

Type in your email address and click ‘Submit’. If you’ve got more than one OVO account, we might ask for your OVO ID too.

Step 4: Check your email

We’ll send you an email with a link to set your password – open it, create your password, and you’re in. The email is from 'no-reply@ovoenergy.com' – and the subject line will be 'My OVO password change request'.

It’s important that you set your password within 30 minutes, as the link will expire. If you don’t get an email straight away, it’s worth checking your ‘spam’ folder. If you’re a Gmail user, it may also be filtered into your ‘promotions’ folder.

Step 5: Sign in whenever you like

That’s it. You’ve got access to your online account. It’s easy to use wherever you are, on your computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.

We’re constantly updating our online portal and app to ensure it’s the best version it can be for you! This, along with your device updates can cause login issues from time to time. 

When something’s gone wrong

If you’re having issues logging via our app, try deleting and reinstalling - ensuring it’s the latest version. Sometimes this is all it needs to iron out any issues.

If you’re on a computer, try and use Google Chrome (or at least, avoid using Internet Explorer) as your account is optimised for this browser. Clear your cookies and cache and try login again, here’s how to do that:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More.
  3. Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

If you’re logging in with your email address, you may wish to try your customer ID. Reset your password as part of this process, as after you reset it, your account will automatically try to login.

If it’s still not letting you in, contact our Support Team. They may check these details so that we can work out the issue

1. Are you logging in using your registered email address or OVO ID?
  2. Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
  3. Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error? If not please describe it in as much detail.
  4. How long has this been going on for?
  5. What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Dell laptop etc.
  6. What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.

Hope this helps you get things sorted - once you’ve cracked the login issues - check out our online account tutorial for making the most of our online tools. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

Hi @PatWard43 

See the info above for a complete guide on logging in for the first time. 

If you look for that welcome email, it should state your supply start date, and your cooling off period. This is usually 10 days. As the switch date is the 7th, it’s likely these 10 days have been missed. 

Hopefully you (or your mother) can now login successfully, and you might have a change in heart about switching. Could you come back and let us know if you’ve been able to log in, and if you’re going to stick around? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@PatWard43 also worth mentioning if you have any other questions or queries energy related at all this forum is an excellent resource and a welcoming group of people! :) anyrhing from energy saving, reducing carbon, understanding bills and issues, EV cars, it is all here! Welcome!

Hello

I spoke to my mother this morning and she does not have an OVO ID anywhere on the documentation and has not provided an email to OVO for correspondence so we’re not getting anywhere

My mother has since tried to contact OVO on facebook using my account but they wont deal with her on there either as she doesnt have her own FB account,

She also emailed OVO last night but is yet to receive a reply.

I have switched suppliers many times in the past and its never been this difficult - companies need to remember that not everyone has access to technology and is able to comprehend what is required of them - OVO should be doing more to help

I will suggest that my mother waits for an email reply

Thanks

Userlevel 7

I spoke to my mother this morning and she does not have an OVO ID anywhere on the documentation 

I am very surprised to hear that the welcome email didn’t outline the customer details, including the account number and OVO ID. It should. Are you able to get access to this and check? Better yet, share a screenshot of the top of the welcome email here?

has not provided an email to OVO for correspondence

It’s my understanding that an email address is needed to log in to the online account. An email address is usually provided at sign up. If it wasn’t, the email your mother sent won’t be linked to an account, so I worry that the agent is going to be limited when it’s picked up next week. 

I would recommend your mother calling us today, or using web chat today, to get this sorted: 0330 303 5063. 

Userlevel 2

Hi,

My wife and I have been with SWALEC/SSE for over 20 years. Earlier this week, we found out that our SWALEC account was closed and that we had been moved over to OVO...

We received an email dated 22/11/20222 from SWALEC informing us that our latest bill was now available to view. We have received no other communication from either company! Opening the SWALEC app to view the bill we were greeted with a message informing us our account was closed and that we need to login via the SSE website to view our final bills (This is how we found out!).

Anyway, our gas bill has a cover letter informing us that we have been moved over to OVO and that we need to go to https://ovoenergy.com/activate-online to setup our online account (Cover letter also includes our new OVO account number). Trouble is, when we enter the email address associated with our old SWALEC account we get an email requesting that we create a password but upon submission we get an error informing us ‘Your password reset link is invalid or expired.’ every time. How do we get access to our new OVO online account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @WelshPaul ,

Welcome to the OVO Forum. I’m Blastoise186 and I’m one of the community volunteers who helps out here.

It’s possible that your account isn’t quite ready yet and things might still be migrating over. Try having a chat with Support though, just to be safe. https://help.ovoenergy.com 

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Spoke to an online advisor and I was told the following:

Okay, I see the issue you're having, it looks like the account is indeed coming over to us from SSE but they haven't completely transferred everything just yet. This shoulnt take too long for them to do but for the time being, you'll need to speak to SSE to discuss your recent bills.

I don’t have any issues accessing my SWALEC bills and my closing balance with them was £673.84 which I’m guessing will be transferred over to our new OVO account once the transfer has completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, it should be migrated soon, pretty much the entire £673 should come over, but a small amount of it might be deducted to pay for any usage in the interim. You’ll see it as a line entry on your OVO account once it comes over.

If you previously had dual-fuel with SWALEC, your gas and electric accounts will be merged together into a single account and the final balances from both will be migrated and merged into a single shared wallet. This may take a while and you might see the balance migrate in two stages.

Also, you’ll want the OVO Energy app from now on. The SWALEC app is no longer going to be useful to you, so feel free to uninstall it whenever you want.

I am not able to create my account with OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

If you’re having trouble setting up, you might need to call OVO on 0330 303 5063 to get help. We probably can’t help much here.

But just in case, what were you trying to set up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If it’s the online services, try https://my.ovoenergy.com/request-access

Or was it something else?

it is the same Sir.

m not getting any email from OVO after i provide mine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok. That suggests there’s no email address on the account.

If you have a chat with OVO, they can fix this issue so you can try again.