Solved

I'm moving out and want to close my OVO account, but I can't find where to submit my info online?

• 14 February 2021
  • 53 replies

Hello all, looking for some advice - the app and website keep taking me round in a loop when I try to tell them I’m moving next week- just round and round the help page and another page saying to click contact us… which takes you back to the help page with no way of contacting them online. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 14 February 2021, 14:56

View original

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry to hear of the technical difficulty you’ve had when trying to let us know about your upcoming move.

The easiest way to do this is by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). We’ve run through the process in detail below.

Step 1

When on the homepage click on the ‘Moving home’ menu option to the left (or in the top right on the app),

Exact appearance may vary

You should now see this screen,

Step 2 

If your moving date falls within the next 28 days, or you’ve already moved, put your moving date in the day, month and year fields, and press ‘confirm’.

Step 3

You should then be greeted with this confirmation screen,

If your move out date changes, or you’re unable to complete this process online, reach out to our Support Team to make sure we can get everything tidied up.

Step 4

Don’t want to leave us completely? Click ‘get a quote’ to see the plans we have available at your new home! :house_with_garden:

Moving out and closing the account is an absolute nightmare! I first contacted OVO on 18th July. Was told I needed to send in a copy of my Lasting Power of Attorney in order to close the account for my 94 year old mother. At a cost of £7.65 I posted the LPA. It was signed for on 20th July. Admin still do not acknowledge receipt of it! I have tried using the app but the Moving Out section sends you in circles right back to the start. I have checked the account online and my Mum is still being charged the daily standing charge ! She is over £200 in credit, but at this rate there will be no credit left. Tried phoning again today but after 15 minutes of being on hold, I gave up. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!

BTW, the move and final bill process with British Gas took a total of 3 minutes on line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can’t use the app to do a moving out process right now. Please use MyOVO at https://my.ovoenergy.com . The direct link should be https://account.ovoenergy.com/moving-home .

Any charges after the move out date can also be refunded.

I have sold up and I'm moving abroad, I'm not taking on a new supplier. I've sent over the final readings and I am over £500, in credit. I can NOT find any way to let OVO this, everything is about switching, not leaving without a new supplier. Help!

If you have an online account you can select get refund

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Les.D ,

Could you give https://account.ovoenergy.com/moving-home a try? It should get the ball rolling and hopefully get everything sorted out for you.

Thanks, guys I've sorted it out now following the link above 👆.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, good luck with the move!

Once the Final Bill is paid off, the account will proceed to close automatically and if any spare credit is still on the account, you’ll also get that back as a refund. Please keep your bank account open until you receive it, but after that you’re free to cancel the Direct Debit. It’ll automatically cancel from OVO’s side anyway and will be terminated immediately by your bank if you close the bank account.

Good luck in your new country!

the link above suggested by Blastoise186 does not work

Userlevel 7

Hi @jrtjoe,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve been having with the app and website. @Blastoise186 is right you usually would be able to process your move out online

I’d recommend getting in touch with the Support Team through web messenger as it sounds like there might be a wider issue as @Closingaccount has experienced the same error. 

They will be able to process your move out and you’ll receive a final bill within 4 weeks of your move out date. After that, any remaining credit will be refunded automatically. 

@ClosingAccount

I have tried using the app but the Moving Out section sends you in circles right back to the start. I have checked the account online and my Mum is still being charged the daily standing charge ! She is over £200 in credit, but at this rate there will be no credit left. Tried phoning again today but after 15 minutes of being on hold, I gave up. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!

BTW, the move and final bill process with British Gas took a total of 3 minutes on line.

Sorry for the issues you’ve had. You can contact Support through web messenger, they’ll be able to search your email address to find the Lasting Power of Attorney and process the home move. To reassure you, your Mother will get a revised bill to the date she moved out within 4 weeks and won’t be charged for a period she wasn’t liable for.  

I hope this helps.

I have moved house and:

a) could not submit final meter readings because the meters had been disabled on my move out date

b) have been told I have to wait 4 weeks before a final account is sorted despite the whole system being automated.

Why in the 21st century cannot a so called modern customer based business process a contract end quickly efficiently and with say 48 hours?

In the time I've been with OVO the service has been inept incompetent and inefficient. 

Anyone from this pile of rubbish business care to explain as I'm quite sure if I had ever defaulted on a bill it would not have taken 4 weeks to demand payment.

A R Milne 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ooh, you’re quite cross aren’t you. As far as I know the forum will only be looked at by fellow customers, not OVO staff, until Tuesday 20th ie after the bank holiday. If you’re lucky you’ll get a great explanation soon from @Blastoise186  who volunteers on this forum ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The OVO Forum is technically closed today as a mark of respect, so the advice that we’re offering is going to be more limited than it usually is. Most of us - including myself - are likely to take the day off so there will be no further comments from me on this thread today after this one.

All I will say is this. The process is usually almost fully automated and very rapid (it still takes up to six weeks to fully shut down an account anyway). However, manual intervention is required in some cases and it might be that yours is one of those. I know from personal experience that digging through server logs is complicated and takes a lot of time to do properly. If someone from OVO is having to go that deep, you’ll just have to be patient because one cannot rush that task.

To be clear, it’s actually impossible to fully and properly end a supply contract and account with an energy supplier with just 48 hours notice. You can of course start that process with less than 48 hours notice under certain circumstances like moving out, but it takes six weeks to completely sever the contract (regardless of tariff) and terminate the account. That’s just how it works! You have to give the supplier a chance to tally up the final bills, calculate the final usage, verify against industry data, run a bunch of processes, issue the final bill and either take the final payment/issue a final refund. It’s just not possible to squash all of that down into 48 hours, regardless of how much you automate the process.

As for the customer service? OVO is rolling out a serious upgrade that will improve it massively. You’ll need to dig through the forum if you want to know more. Today isn’t the day to be talking about such things.

And for the record, over 90% of debt collection is automated - the Collections Team only usually steps in at later stages or if you get in touch.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Alasdair Milne

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve had. 

If you have a smart meter it should take the reading automatically so you shouldn’t need to take a manual reading. You can check your meter readings through the online account to ensure we have been in communication with your meters:

Your meters wouldn’t be disabled when you leave a property, you can take a manual reading from your meters by pressing ‘A’ on your electricity meter and ‘C’ on your gas if it’s SMETS2 or ‘9’ on each meter if its SMETS1. 

Your final statement can take up to 4 weeks from your move out date. But if you have a smart meter that submits daily reads your account balance should be up to date as we have a live billing system. Find out more about the moving home process here

Take a look at this helpful guide to find out more about our live billing system:

If we had communication issues with your meters, or for whatever reason you need to submit readings manually you can contact our Support Team who can submit your readings on your behalf. Your final bill will then be produced to these readings. 

Hope this helps. 

honestly i am to the point in my life where I don’t need the stress. I am a vulnerable customer trying to leave my old address and not only is my bill going up online every time I look, my final bill doesn’t make sense and now my old landlady telling me that I am liable for another bill come addressed to the occupier and saying I didn’t tell ovo I moved out - which is all lies, I gave my final meter read and literally to try and contact them. I have tried calling - jokes no way to get through, so tried website was 264 in queue it went down to 107 and now it has stopped telling me where I am… oh and whatsapp - i was told account was closed and to call….. *edited by mod*

Userlevel 4

Strange I noticed a lot of people say they can’t get through. But I always get through to speak to someone on the webchat . Within 10/15 minutes. So I just tried for you .

Userlevel 7

Hey @louise74,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

Did you process the move out online? That’s the easiest way to do it through your Online Account

You’ll then get a final bill within 4 weeks. If you’re still in the 4 week period this may be why you can still see a daily standing charge increase online.

What do you mean by your final bill doesn’t make sense? Think we’ll need a bit more information to try and figure out what’s going on here. Your move out should be processed for the date you cease liability, you’ll be liable for the bills until your tenancy ends. 

Did you process the move out online?

When did you process the move out?

What date did you cease liability for the property?

Can the landlord open the letter, if it’s for a date after your liability they should know you don’t need to pay that bill. It sounds like they may not be aware they’d be liable for a period between tenants. 

Let’s get to the bottom of this 🙂

Hi, the online wouldn’t work and kept taking me around in circles (that wast the first joke) so I had to call and the guy I spoke to made an error it now appears and failed to put in the correct meter read.  I managed after 5 hours to finally get someone on the webchat.  I have to say your customer service is appalling, after being on hold for 45 mins I finally spoke to a lady in a VERY noisy call centre, she could hardly hear me, then whilst she was looking into it and raising a case she must have either put me on hold or done something as next thing I know is I am back in the queue!!! I waited another 30 mins or so and gave up.  The webchat I went back to the beginning even though I never left the page….. I literally had to start again at 200+ and finally I spoke to someone on there, she was helpful but offered me a mere £20 compensation for the error and I am sorry but £20 for now close to probably about in total 7 hours of trying to resolve this that was not good enough.  Also I was told if I want to speak to collections I can only call, there is no email and they can’t call me… I asked but with no reply what about the deaf community?  I am supposed to be as I was with SSE on your priority list for vulnerable people… seems not!  I am now waiting for a new final bill and then I will call collections (if I can get through) however, I did ask to speak to management and nothing, I have raised a complaint and so far no acknowledgement and when I asked for a copy of the online chat so I had evidence of our discussion and that the correct meter reading and information was logged the lady said she didn’t know how to send this to me!  Crazy!  I have never not had a webchat emailed to me as a standard after raising an issue…. in my 48 years I have never had so many issues just trying to speak to a human, let alone one that can get the information right!  How hard is it….. The exit date was 4/10 and yes the landlady has opened the letter but literally believes I am liable and told me when she called them said I didn’t give them the information correctly and told OVO 11/10 which is just lies… she doesn’t understand but I have told her it is not for me it is for the new occupier and a new account number to which she said no it’s for you the occupier who left…. she was going to call OVO again as I said again it is NOT my bill.  I am not going to go into my health issues on a public forum but believe me no-one should be put through all this just to get the correct information.  I am at the mercy of trusting the bills you send me are correct and I am just so glad I don’t have to deal with you ever again in my life once this is finally sorted, the stress and time used is not conclusive to my healing! I feel sorry for people who don’t have the mental capacity to even deal with this and I feel there is a serious lack of CUSTOMER SERVICE…. it feel like OVO are just here to look after themselves!  Sad times. However, I do appreciate you trying to help. Thanks, Louise 

@Jacko6625 lucky you!  I was over 200 in the queue twice the other day!  I am pretty savvy online luckily despite my health issues… but thanks for your input…. if you want to read my rant feel free… maybe I picked a bad day but seriously the customer service for me has been appalling never on the phone have I waited less than 45 mins so far in all the times I have called….

Userlevel 7

Hey @louise74,

I’m really sorry to hear this.

I’ll get someone to reach out to you, please keep an eye on your Forum inbox.

Hi on the 1st of this month I called Ovo to tell them I had moved home on that day. They supplied my energy on my previous address. I went through the whole set up credit check quotes etc - and finally agreed on my new tariff. I was told I would get a confirmation letter no later than 3 days after that call. 3 days now and no confirmation letter.

They also took my bank details to set up a new direct debit (same bank account as my former address) and I asked should I cancel my current direct debit - which was told yes as a new one will be set up. So cancelled old direct debit then got an email yesterday asking why I cancelled direct debit! And I could be in default.

So I checked my online OVO account and its still showing my old address with no mention of house move and its been 3 days since me calling them. Does anyone know how a house move with Ovo actually works ?

Im worried because the landlady of my new property has instructed her current supplier that she no longer needs them to supply her (british gas and Eon) if something went wrong with the house move request will i just be cut off ? No pre payment here and i dont want one.

Any help on this appreciated as im quite concerned I have heard nothing thank you Dex

Badge +1

When you move into a new home the energy is supplied initially by whoever the previous occupants were with.  While you can switch to a new supplier (in your case OVO) its likely that initially you’ll be with another company (unless the previous occupants were also with OVO).  If you are on a credit meter there’s no need for urgent action - it will all get sorted in time.  Just make sure you have evidence of the readings - both in the old home and the new.

When you move into a new home the energy is supplied initially by whoever the previous occupants were with.  While you can switch to a new supplier (in your case OVO) its likely that initially you’ll be with another company (unless the previous occupants were also with OVO).  If you are on a credit meter there’s no need for urgent action - it will all get sorted in time.  Just make sure you have evidence of the readings - both in the old home and the new.

Thank you for the reply. I am on a credit meter paying monthly by direct debit. I have taken readings in both old and new house. Just concerned as I cancelled down the DD which usually will be due 14th of Each month - as I didnt want a new and old DD debit from OVO - should i reinstate my old DD you think or just let OVO complete the house move ? many thanks for  your response :)

Hi does anyone know how long it will take to get some kind of confirmation for the home move i requested last week on the 1st Feb ? as I have heard nothing and my  online account still shows my old address

thank you

hi so now im totally confused. Last week I called OVO my current supplier to inform them of moving home. Gave them all new details - did credit check - set up new account - home move confirmed on the phone. Today I get welcome package at my new home address all good. But i have a balance owing which has not been included in my new direct debit . Also my OVO online account still shows my old address nothing updated.

I also asked last week if it was ok to cancel down my current direct debit the lady said yes. Which I did. Ovo in the welcome letter now inform me my new direct debit will be taken on the 8th of this month but have not set up a new direct debit from what I can see,

It seems they have totally disregarded my old account (without outstanding balance i owe them ) and just see my as a new customer which I am not. have been waiting nearly an hour to get through on the phone to speak to someone but still holding. Can anyone here please advise thank you