Tutorial

How to tell us you're moving out on your online account or OVO app

How to tell us you're moving out on your online account or OVO app
Userlevel 7

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

You’ve packed your bags and got the removal van ready, but how do you let us know you’re moving and close your OVO Energy account?

The easiest way to do this is by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). We’ve run through the process in detail below.

Step 1

When on the homepage click on the ‘Moving home’ menu option to the left (or in the top right on the app),

Exact appearance may vary

You should now see this screen,

Step 2 

If your moving date falls within the next 28 days, or you’ve already moved, put your moving date in the day, month and year fields, and press ‘confirm’.

Step 3

You should then be greeted with this confirmation screen,

If your move out date changes, or you’re unable to complete this process online, reach out to our Support Team to make sure we can get everything tidied up.

Step 4

Don’t want to leave us completely? Click ‘get a quote’ to see the plans we have available at your new home! :house_with_garden:

Please be aware that the mobile phone images shown above are what you’d see when using your online account via your device’s internet browser but the same process can be completed on the OVO app.

13 replies

I have been on hold for 50 minutes and just been cut off. The closest conversation was a call centre who said hello then cut me off, been in a queue for 1 hour on message and the website takes me round in circles.

I want to close the account and give meter readings. the links for moving out do not work and just take me round in circles. The links suggested by previous people do not work and provide me with somewhere to give closing meter readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Julescambs ,

Did you try this one by any chance?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/moving-home

It should take you to a screen like the one below, once you’re logged in.

yes, the link contact us does not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If this one doesn’t work, you might be on the legacy billing system. There should be a link in there somewhere to do this, but I can’t provide as unfortunately I don’t have access to the old system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh ok. That is the correct place then. Try https://help.ovoenergy.com in that case. There’s a live chat you can use, but that’s the best I can think of.

It’s also possible you might have already started that process. The Support Team are best placed to confirm that and they can start the process if it hasn’t already been done.

I have only just opened up a new account. What is a legacy billing system?. The live chat is not working. They told me at 9.10am this morning I was 128 in the queue and I have had nothing since. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. If you’ve only just opened an account, you might not be able to close it yet. Please stay in the queue for live chat and someone will answer it.

The legacy billing system was an old system that’s being closed down, but I can see from your screenshot you’re on the new one.

I have had the OVO account for a while but only just opened an online account. There is nothing happening in the queue for live chat. British Gas, EDF and SSE usually update you on where you are in the queue but this is just completely nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try posting a message into the chat. If the OVO Bot doesn’t respond, you’re still in the queue

Thank you, I keep saying hello but get no response. Over an hour now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, so you’re still in the queue then.

This reminds me actually, I’ve been meaning to suggest this as an Idea to OVO for a while but forgot about it. I’ve just submitted it officially.

If you’d like to see it happen and get status updates, feel free to upvote that idea.

Badge +1

Customer service at many energy suppliers is abysmal.  Since switching is on life support at the moment your current supplier is in effect a monopoly supplier.  Therefore it doesn’t matter to them if they give you abysmal service.

The regulator and the Energy ombudsman should come up with a scheme to fine companies really punitive amounts if their customer support services fall below acceptable standards.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Julescambs,

I'm sorry for the issues you’ve had getting in touch with Support. I can see @Blastoise186 has already given some great advice here. 

Just wanted to step in here to add that it seems there might be a wider issue with processing home moves online at the moment. 

If you stay in the queue for web messenger someone in the Support Team will be able to process your move out. You will get your final bill within 4 weeks of your move out date. Any remaining credit will then be refunded automatically. 

Keep us posted with how you get on!