Solved

How do I submit meter readings on the new website?

• 20 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I’m an ovo customer and I’ve just been “upgraded” to the new website at https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/

In the new website I can’t find anymore the form for submitting meter readings?

How do I submit meter readings going forward?

I have smart meters installed by Ovo, but the gas meter has never been able to submit readings automatically (too far from the electricity meter) so I had to submit those manually every month, but this option does not seem to be available to me anymore unless I missed something.

Thanks for the feedback.

icon

Best answer by Ed_OVO 21 April 2020, 10:21

Updated on 18/11/20: You can now submit manual meter readings on your online account, if you don’t have a smart meter or if this meter doesn’t send us your readings remotely.  

If you’re not able to submit your opening meter readings, you’ll need to make sure to submit these within the 10 day window either side of your supply start date. 

See the video below (also in this guide) for how to submit a meter reading in your online account

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 18/11/20: You can now submit manual meter readings on your online account, if you don’t have a smart meter or if this meter doesn’t send us your readings remotely.  

If you’re not able to submit your opening meter readings, you’ll need to make sure to submit these within the 10 day window either side of your supply start date. 

See the video below (also in this guide) for how to submit a meter reading in your online account

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @casaschi and welcome to the Forum.

The first thing to do is to email them and provide your meter readings. Make sure you give your Account Number and Post-Code so they can verify that you are the correct customer. That gives you a date/time-stamped copy of what information you sent.

Secondly, I suspect that the new software doesn’t yet have all the checks and balances to cope with customers that do have Smart Meters, but for some reason still need to provide manual readings. Let me just tag the Moderator @Ed_OVO and ask if he will get someone in the SMETS Engineering Team to read this Topic.

I’m a little puzzled that you are able to state with certainty that the reason your gas meter isn’t providing readings is due to its distance from the Communications Hub.

There were a number of us who battled with this problem last year. My own site was used for testing code updates.

In the majority of cases the issue was resolved, and it transpired that weak-signal was not the primary cause.

Let’s do a quick check for your site:

On your Comms Hub is the Gas-Indicator flashing at a different (faster) rate than the other three LEDs?

On your Gas Meter display, do you see any signal strength bars for the Zigbee communications?

Thanks.

@Transparent: thank you for taking the time to answer, however the first thing to do would have been for Ovo not to release a new website with less functionality than the old one; submitting meter reading and downloading bills was the only use of the Ovo website for me; why would Ovo do something like this is beyond me: doing actual work to make things worse for (some of) their customers.

In order to solve your little puzzle, I got smart meters installed few years ago (I’m probably on an older model); the electricity meter was ok, the gas meter never sent a reading through automatically and I always had to submit manual reading; at the time I was more than a little puzzled that, when installing smart meters, Ovo had been happy for the person installing the new devices to leave my premises without checking that everything was working properly; then, I called Ovo and they told me the likely cause was a communication problem between the gas and the electricity meter; so here you go, I assume that is true because Ovo told me after looking at the issue (looking from a distance because they did not send anyone to my place). They offered to send a relay device to be placed in between the two meters but I can’t install that.

I have no time to troubleshoot your broken systems and debug the Ovo smart meter issues; if Ovo wants to perform a “quick check” at my site they have my address; I’d be happy enough if they make it easier for customers in my situation to submit meter readings.

If anyone at Ovo wants to look into my issues further, just make yourselves known and I can message you with my account number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi again @casaschi 

The reason OVO had to implement new Billing software was because they fell foul of Ofgem rules when using 3rd-party software 3 years ago. They decided to bring the entire enterprise in-house and gain control over the way it handles estimates - a major reason for the failures.

The website information that we see is but a small part of a much larger software suite that works behind the scenes.

The absolute key priority is to ensure that the operations comply with Ofgem’s requirements.

Handling anomalies such as customers with Smart Meters where partial data transfer is occurring is something to resolve over the coming months.

So I believe you have the earlier SMETS1 meters, where the electricity meter was manufactured by Secure:

It is quite normal for the installer to leave site before the meter is fully functional. Most of the commissioning process occurs remotely over the ensuing month.

I doubt that OVO will spend too much time investigating and fixing issues related to these earlier SMETS1 meters. They are all scheduled to receive software upgrades to the newer SMETS2 software during 2020. So many of the outstanding issues will get resolved at that stage anyway.

@Transparent thanks for the explanation.

It does not paint a pretty picture of Ovo’s customer service if they are creating new issues to customers (such as not being able to submit readings easily) in order to fix old issues (bad design of their original software system).

Hey @casaschi, welcome to the forum!

This issue seems to be affecting a few customers, so we’re working to get this sorted as soon as we can.

In the meantime, if you need to provide meter readings, send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages. We’ll be able to manually add them onto the account, so they appear in our next bill.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks for the reply.

But seriously, Ovo launches a brand new website with LESS functionality than the old one???

Also, if it’s ok for Ovo to receive meter readings via email, how hard can it be to setup a page on the new site with a form that automatically sends you an email with the reading and my account number? How hard can that be?

Instead of me having to “send you a message” and hope it reaches you with all the details you need to accept the info and in time for issuing a correct bill?

:-(

Userlevel 6

As Ed mentioned, @casaschi, the team are aware of this and are currently working on it.

If you’re worried we won’t receive the readings in time you can submit them over the phone, it’s an automated reading line - just call 0330 303 5063.

You can also send them on FacebookTwitter, or or by online chat via the Help centre. The response time there is quicker than the email response time.