Solved

Help - why can't I submit a meter reading?

I am a new ovo customer and I have to give a meter reading in the next 5 days. Simple yes? No! No matter how I try to submit the readings (app, mobile website, website website) I have a message pop up after I log on telling me my switch is on hold as there is a problem and I have been sent an enail explaining this. I have only recieved one email and it says “hooray your switched!” Kinda thing with a link to upload meter readings. I click on the link and end up at the same page saying there’s an issue and I’ve been emailed. Please save me!
icon

Best answer by Transparent 11 April 2018, 10:48

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Great to hear that you’re switching to OVO!

Now we just need to sort out the issue you’re getting when trying to submit your opening meter readings on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). If you’re switching to us in the next 10 days we’d recommend submitting your opening meter readings as soon as the welcome pack arrives. If not, we’ll get in touch to remind you closer to the time. This should be a fairly straight forward process, check out the video below for how things should work:

As you’ve already attempted this method and are seeing an error message, it’s best to reach out to the Support Team. They’ll be able to log the readings on to your account in time for them to be used as your opening meter readings and investigate what’s behind this error message.

Hope these initial teething problems are resolved ASAP and you enjoy joining us on our journey to Plan Zero.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thank you! Very very helpful
I was erroneously switched away to Bulb just for gas last month. You've now switched me back and asked for meter readings, but I can't enter them. My account on your website just says 'Welcome to Ovo' and none of the buttons do anything.

Ovo ID is ** edited by moderator **
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Paul99F - the timetable for switching gas accounts is governed by Xoserve who are the National Database for gas meters. They operate within the regulatory framework agreed with Ofgem.

There is a system of Notifications which pass between all parties in order to protect the customer and ensure that your account is not being hijacked by a third party etc. This process includes timescales when objections can be raised for matters such as a mismatch of Meter Numbers or incomplete meter readings.

Whilst this process occurs, OVO will only allow partial access to your online account pages. This is for your own protection. They cannot and must not attempt to speed up the process.

I moved into a new flat and got the welcome pack on 5th November. In the letter OVO asks to submit my meter readings during 5-10 November. However when I clicked to submit my readings the website says “Problem has occurred” error message. Therefore, I cannot submit my readings in 5 days. Then, I contacted the live chat to get help with my problem, they asked my account number. After I gave my account number they say that there was a problem checking your account number. I am sure that my account number is correct, that is what I was sent by email and post. The live chat help even can’t get my account number. 

Can you help me to submit my meter readings? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @lara , welcome to the OVO Forum! :)

Glad to meet you, I’m Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum volunteers. How may I be of service? :D

Did you definitely create an account properly after moving in? If not, you may need to get in touch with Support and check whether an account currently exists in your name at your new flat. If it doesn’t, they can set one up for you.

Userlevel 7

Hey @lara,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

Are you taking an account number from a letter to ‘The Occupier’ or is the letter in your name?

Let’s get to the bottom of this!

I’m currently trying to move to Ovo as my energy supplier, but the website where I should be able to input my opening meter readings seems to have been broken for a leat a couple of days (I’ve tried 2 different computers and 4 different browsers).

https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/opening-meter-readings

After suffering the useless chatbot and the online chat (with a human) unable to offer any solution, I waited for ages on the phone line to try and resolve this, but was told that even if I gave my readings over the phone, I might not be able to log on to manage my account  and there was no estimate of when this might be fixed. So my questions would be that if the website is broken, why is there nothing clearly indicating this on the website and is the customer service always this bad when things go wrong? I’m now stuck in limbo as I can’t create an account without the opening readings, but I’m not prepared to continue with this process unless someone can convince me that (a) this is not going to be an ongoing problem and (b) this has not been a cybersecurity reach

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try logging in via https://my.ovoenergy.com instead.

I’ll let @Tim_OVO know about this. The server probably just went down temporarily. It’s not a cybersecurity breach.

It’s also possible you clicked on an old link that goes to a server which is no longer used. More info might be in my next comment.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have just logged in with no problem. Might I suggest that you Google OVO and pick up an up to date link to My OVO on there.

l hope this may help if Tim@ OVO does not get back before.

This site is very useful , I have been with OVO for about 2 years but recently went all Solar, heat pump and electric including car , chargers and batteries. All very complicated for my 80 year old Luddite brain but this site helped me a great deal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @pk.roberts , I’m not sure which service you use OVO or Boost but this page might help

https://help.ovoenergy.com/categories

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I cannot seem to find any reference to that URL on Google, even by using Google Dorking techniques.

However, I’ve gone ahead and submitted it to the Remove Outdated Content tool anyway.

If it is incorrectly showing up in search results, this tool will knock it out of them. Google will then automatically choose something to replace it. OVO cannot force a selection though.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi

all the details received for my new account:  meter reading requested but on logging on site says meter details not available. tried 4 times  since Mar 30 and still no joy…..help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We can’t access the account from here I’m afraid. Try 0330 303 5063

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is this for your solar generation @jaybell or a standard electric feed?

Userlevel 3
Badge

standard consumption

Userlevel 7

Hey @jaybell,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It might be worth contacting Support who’ll be able to advise if you switch has been delayed and make a note of your opening readings on the account. There may be a delay with confirming your meter details with your previous provider and the energy industry.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Just switched to OVO, and already starting to regret my decision. I've been trying for almost an hour to submit readings, both on the webpage and through the app, to no avail. Help tells me how to read meters (I already know and have the readings) or to contact this forum, but I'm genuinely unclear how other customers can help?

To add insult to injury, OVO have in the midst of this sent another email asking for the readings, but of course I can't reply to their email to let them know there's a problem, or to send them the readings.

It does look like I'll have to phone the support line, but as it's only open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, and I work... Please tell me problems are rare and there are not long queues to wait to speak to someone when you phone. Or should I use the 14 day cooling off period and cancel this switch???

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @pmmg ,

Forum volunteer here.

Live Chat is WAY faster and is also open on Saturday mornings: https://help.ovoenergy.com . If you get in there early this morning, you’ll be one of the first to get through.

Alternatively, use WhatsApp and OVO will pick it up without you needing to be around. Make sure to include your name, email and account number in that

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @pmmg That is annoying. Quite a few customers regularly report the same issue until the OVO IT settles down. 

So on the app you don't see this?

The best way i have used in the past is the OVO Twitter or Facebook pages if you struggle with the other ways to contact. It is quite often a useful way of contacting companies in general

Both are official ovo support channels and the ovo staff there can access your account unlike here. 

Send a private message via their  Facebook or Twitter page. Include your name, address, date of birth and account number to get passed security, along with your readings

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

If you post how you get on i am sure it will help others.

I have added an idea for ovo to consider, vote or comment if you like

Thanks everyone for the info, I have previously used Facebook, but not currently on any social media. Just been trying again, but still the same message. Wonder how many annoying reminders I'll get from OVO between now and Saturday

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks everyone for the info, I have previously used Facebook, but not currently on any social media. Just been trying again, but still the same message. Wonder how many annoying reminders I'll get from OVO between now and Saturday

I suspect a few more messages... It really isn't great as this isn't an isolated incident unfortunately.

I do recommend you don't wait till Saturday in case they start your account off with an incorrect estimated reading which can cause a different set of issues

Userlevel 6

Hey @pmmg 

Have you been able get your meter readings submitted? If not, we can see if we can help you further.🙂

I submitted my gas meter reading ok but apparently there’s a problem with my electricity meter reading. I have submitted my details and tried again to no avail. I have been with ovo for many years and still have the same manual meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can you post a photo of your meter @Alice Julia ? Someone may be able to suggest something