Solved

Does the Direct Debit contract calculation take into account any credit on my account?

Does the 2 year contract calculation of direct debit amount take into account any credit on my account? If it is not taken into account the renewal direct debit is too high.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 August 2019, 15:55

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 09/10/23 by Abby_OVO

For a helpful introduction to Direct Debit calculations watch the video below:

How do you calculate my Direct Debit when I renew?

To work out your monthly Direct Debit amount, we:

• look at your energy use to date and how much you’re likely to use until 31 March, or the end of your contract if you’re on a fixed plan
  • take into account your current balance and any other costs such as the standing charge and any add-ons you have
  • divide the amount by the number of payments left until 31 March, or the end of your contract, and that gives us your monthly amount

Our aim is to make sure you don’t build up unexpected debt by the end of winter, or the end of your contract if you're on a fixed plan.

What’s a Direct Debit Check In?

As the amount you use may change, we’ll regularly check that the payment amount is enough to cover your energy costs and leave you with a clear balance at the end of your plan. There is a helpful breakdown of how we work this out on your Direct Debit calculator which can be found on the ‘Payments’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS):

Need more help understanding your Direct Debit recommendations? Check out the great guide below:

Userlevel 1

My account is 350.00 in credit my DD is 200.00 a month they say they estimate my account will be minus 1025 in a years time, I plan to pay DD OF 200 each month and put the energy rebate back on my account I have had an email up your DD to 279.00 or pay £1025. I would have paid extra on my account if needed, i am on the phone if they don’t leave it, I will cancel my DD.

Userlevel 1

And I monitor my account each month would have increase my DD from January myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I’m afraid this doesn’t sound like a valid Idea, so I’ve asked a moderator to convert it to a Conversation for better visibility.

Thanks for understanding!

Badge +1

If you cancel your DD you will move onto standard credit terms which for an average user costs over £200 more per year.  Think about it!

Userlevel 7

Hey @Kittykat59,

Thank you for your post, this is understandably something concerning a lot of our customers at the moment. 

If you are on the variable plan we’ve got a great guide which explains why prices are increasing and what support OVO has available for our customers. The reason for the direct debit review would be because prices will be increasing significantly in October and there may be further increases in future. 

Here we have a helpful tutorial which shows how OVO calculates direct debits:

If you’ve recently fixed into a new plan, your prices now would be a lot higher than they were before. You can check the difference between your previous and current rates by logging on to your online account and downloading your statements.  

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Will it be easy to to reset the DD I cancelled

Badge +1

@Emmanuelle_OVO 

Why is the choice so stark?  Why should the customer pay the alleged deficit up front - which would put the account in substantial credit for most of the 12 months.  Being in credit by £350 and paying in £200 per month, its going to be quite a few months before the account is in net balance.  Why the need for action now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Will it be easy to to reset the DD I cancelled

Yes it will. Once OVO notifies you about the DD being cancelled, you’ll be able to set it back up in minutes.

Badge +1

@Kittykat59 

It should be.  You could go into your account online and see if you can amend you DD back to the same details as before, and if that doesn’t work contact customer services in the usual manner.

Userlevel 1

No one canget through to customer services, I see what happens when I  contavted

Your email is almost identical to the one I received. I'm £300 in advance, they want to double DD or for me to pay £1500+ upfront to keep as is. I've cut down enormously on my usage and will continue to do so. Therefore the prediction for the year won't be that much. I plan to keep DD payments as is and add extra payments as and when I see my account payments getting low.  That's if I can get through! Phone line was terrible and in a queue. The online messages said an agent would be with me in 714 minutes!! 

I fail to see how my monthly billing is in April I’m charged £54.73p and in August my bill is £53.07p yet it is mid summer and hardly any appliances are switched on or even plugged in it’s my belief this company are just billing what they feel like…it’s a rip off there is no way we used £53.07p of electricity in August !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Peter Simpson 

Do you know your usage in kWh for April and August?

Are the meter readings on your bills actual or estimated readings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Also, I assume you were on the same tariff for these months?

APRIL

Well I assume they work out the standing charge @ .41.32 x 30 days = £12.40p

Leaving £42.33p @ .27.10p per unit would mean I used 156.19Kw @ average 5.20Kw per day

Is that how you would work this out 

Actua meter reading exact day they ask for them 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Your bill will say how many units you’re charged for. Would you like to share ? without personal info or acc number. You’re on a good unit rate there - I’m a bit jealous!

I am £700 in credit if I pull that out will my direct debit increase?

Badge +1

Yes to both the title and thread question. If you are on a variable tariff prices are still rising but due to the governments action direct debit for nearly all customers will need reappraising soon, but prices wil then remain the same for 2 years.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Polardog,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

Great to see our community members giving some tip-top advice here! 

Just wanted to add you can see more about this topic in this helpful guide we’ve made: 

You might also find this similar thread useful:

Hope this helps.

Find out more about the Price Cap Increases and how OVO can help here

Hi everyone. I have a big problem with OVO. Today I paid 70 pounds for my electricity and gas bill and after a few hours they charged me +70 pounds. I see that I have made a bill of around 30 pounds a month because I am away from home all day because of work and they make me pay twice as much.. Last month I paid 100 pounds while I only used 30. Can someone help me.. Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you’ve paid more into your account than your actual bill the excess will just sit as a credit balance. How are you seeing that you only use £30 a month? Have you got a smart meter or does OVO have a correct recent meter reading?

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a smart meter. Every time I pay more than I should and they have not refunded me anything.. I am very disappointed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You can request a refund on your online account. Or you could just pay what you’ve used and stop the credit building up.