Solved

Can you change the Direct Debit payment details online?

• 23 October 2019
  • 12 replies

You claim on your help page that I can change where my DD is paid from by clicking on the ‘profile’ tab. I can’t. No such facility exists and the only way to do this apparently is to call you.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 28 October 2019, 13:32

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 06/10/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry for any confusion caused by the advice given on our Help Centre, we’ve now updated the details here to advise bank details can’t be updated online yet.

You can change some of your direct debit details on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - such as the payment amount or date. Check out the ‘payments’ page to make these changes and check the bank account details you have registered.

Exact appearance may vary

In order to change the bank account details, you’ll need to get in touch with the Support Team - you can reach them on 0330 303 5063 (lines are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm) - as we need to check some security details and re-confirm the direct debit agreement we need to speak to you in order to get these details updated.

You can find out more about Direct Debits on our FAQs.

Userlevel 1

I've received my new visa debit card. How do I change the details and. New numbers on the app.

Many thanks from Clive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Thickgoatee ,

The OVO Energy app no longer stores any card details at all in any form, in fact I don’t recall it ever having such a feature. Given that the app now sends you to a website to complete any top-up payments, there’s nothing to change, simply use the new card details next time you make a payment.

Userlevel 7

The OVO Energy app no longer stores any card details at all in any form, in fact I don’t recall it ever having such a feature. Given that the app now sends you to a website to complete any top-up payments, there’s nothing to change, simply use the new card details next time you make a payment.

Just to add to this, @Thickgoatee - if it’s the bank details we use for a Direct Debit you wanted updated, this isn’t possible via the app or online account. To get that updated, contact our Support team

I accidently setup my direct debit using the wrong account. I want to change it. You would assume this might be quite simple and that it might’ve happneed to others. But lack of info surrounding it suggests otherwise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @shanehorsfall ,

Easy fix! Cancel the DD at the bank account where you don’t want to have it active - you must do this via the bank. OVO will detect this after a couple of weeks and invite you to set up a new one with your preferred account. Once done, future payments will come from there instead.

Userlevel 6

In my own (recent-ish) experience of cancelling a DD at my bank it was only a day unti OVO emailed me about it and invited me to set up a new one. - I do have online banking so the cancellation would have been instant, it might take longer if you don't use online banking.

But as said just cancel it with the bank and OVO will confirm that cancellation, then simply set up a new DD from the account that you meant to use

Badge +2

Change of bank direct debit.

Why is it so painful?

I could not see how to change my registered bank details online, so called up as you can only adjust the amount.

Informed operator I would like to change my direct debit to another account as I couldn’t do it online.

Asked if i wanted to cancel the direct debit to setup a new one - yes.

Informed direct debit cancelled, great can I setup a new one? - NO.

Informed I know have to wait for the cancellation to come through, then I need to phone back up to re-set up a new direct debit. WTF?

As a comparison, logged onto my Essex and Suffolk Water account, typed new bank details in, new direct debit setup instantly, email received. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @John12345 ,

Once the DD is fully cancelled, you’ll be able to set it up again via MyOVO. It may take a few days though.

Just curious… But why didn’t you use the Current Account Switching Service? It would have done this for you. And I mean ALL of it - total balance transfer, Direct Debits, Standing Orders, Salary, incoming payments for 18 months, automatic old account closure… The full works...

Badge +2

Because the bank said i could only move the direct debits using the switching service if I cancelled my old account, which I did not want to do on this occasion.

Userlevel 6

TBH it sounds like your ‘old’ bank is being the problem here. (Maybe why you are switching?)

When I had cause to cancel my DD last year (complicated reason) my bank cancelled it almost immediately, and I then had an email from OVO just as quickly asking if I wanted to set up another.

Userlevel 6

Hi @John12345 

I’m glad a couple of our volunteers have already left some really helpful advice for you here.

In order to change the bank account details, you’ll need to get in touch with the Support Team - you can reach them on 0330 303 5063 (lines are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm) - as we need to check some security details and re-confirm the direct debit agreement we need to speak to you in order to get these details updated.

You can find out more about Direct Debits on our FAQs.

I’m sorry for any confusion caused, hopefully this helps clear things up a little for you.